Archery Elk hunt blog --live updates ----

New hole always feels good.

This one is off the beaten path a bit. Like a Xmas parade around here with the gun hunters driving the roads looking for huge elk.

Just had coyotes sneak up on my decoy :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 39
Missed a 70 yard shot at mr coyote. Waited to long watching them figure out the decoy was a decoy. Good test of the new blind

The poor decoy almost got eaten

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    988.9 KB · Views: 21
Invasion of the turkey's

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    997.3 KB · Views: 29
End of blog....

I will recap what I think in a day or so

You gave it hell Bill. And thanks for the great blog............Now go bag some other stuff............. ;)

Here is my recap and thoughts on this hunt.

To get drawn for the rut hunt in this unit takes up to 10 or more years. This late hunt could be a every other year deal.

In 8 days of hunting I had one decent chance at a small raghorn bull. I blew that getting to my stand a few minutes late in the afternoon. Spot and stalk was a joke, combination of insane dry conditions with huge growth from the monsoons. It was crunchy and loud. The elk were on edge big time. I guess having hunters in the field non stop since Sept can do that. Glassing at first and last light was rough. They just were not coming out till after dark or before light.

Here is what confused me the most. I had cams set all over the place for two weeks before the season. Had good day time activity on the water holes. During this pierced was the gen rifle deer hunt with tons of hunters all over. My hunt starts and with almost zero pressure they poof and no hits on the cams at all.

Weather was rough with temps in the teens or single digits every morning with wind most days. Afternoons were nice and cool with moderate temps. Super dry air however sucked the water out of everything.

Would I go and do this hunt again? Not if I can help it. I had some ideas on how to hunt this place and they didn't work at all. If I had stayed in my stand 24/7 I would have got a bull so I can't bitch to much I guess .

Time to get back to work l, I'm taking the sled down to the club on Friday. It's time to duck hunt and put the bow away for now

If you have a hunters safety point and loyalty point you can draw most of the early rut hunts with 4-6 points... just saying... night and day between the two hunts. Ed F

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu