Vlads invasion...

Nancy keeps working her jaw..kamala's looks solid..jus sayin..

Lots a work to get there..for sure..

Getting to be summer time here at the Hatchet Compound....My boy Blue let's us know when it's pool time...he's a large mammal...Screenshot_20220301-224651.png

Last edited by a moderator:
So I hear sleepy Joe has decided to release 30 million barrels of oil from reserves. Really Joe, that's one and a half day of USA daily usage. He really does not have a clue.

Sorry if this may have been addressed, and for the record, I disagree with Russia's invasion of Ukraine, their propaganda, violation of free speech by media and their indiscriminate attacks on civilians.

I read a story recently about Ukraine's application to join NATO, basically putting a NATO country on the border with Russia. I'm wondering what the US would do if Mexico became an ally with Russia? NATO was formed to be mutual defense relationship with fellow members, in response to communism (in large part). The Warsaw Pact, which was Russia's NATO, was formed in the 1950's for the same reason, but it ended in 1991. You wonder why NATO is still relevant after Russia ended its mutual defense alliances.

My history is not as clear, but my recollection is that when Russia put missiles in Cuba, we tried to invade Cuba. And Russia only put missiles there AFTER we put missiles in Italy and Turkey, close enough for missile attack.

Technically Russia already has a couple NATO countries on its border, Latvia and another small one. They are small. The biggest border on western Russia is Ukraine (and Belarus). What’s the difference when a Chinese or Russian warship or military plane cruises the Pacific too close to our territorial waters. Or what if Mexico let Russia put a missile defense system in Juarez?

Again, I still disagree with Russia’s invasion, their propaganda and shelling of civilians, but I think the motives are a little more complicated than simply Russian expansion.

Just wanted thoughts from those who likely know more and have a better understanding of history.

Sorry if this may have been addressed, and for the record, I disagree with Russia's invasion of Ukraine, their propaganda, violation of free speech by media and their indiscriminate attacks on civilians.

I read a story recently about Ukraine's application to join NATO, basically putting a NATO country on the border with Russia. I'm wondering what the US would do if Mexico became an ally with Russia? NATO was formed to be mutual defense relationship with fellow members, in response to communism (in large part). The Warsaw Pact, which was Russia's NATO, was formed in the 1950's for the same reason, but it ended in 1991. You wonder why NATO is still relevant after Russia ended its mutual defense alliances.

My history is not as clear, but my recollection is that when Russia put missiles in Cuba, we tried to invade Cuba. And Russia only put missiles there AFTER we put missiles in Italy and Turkey, close enough for missile attack.

Technically Russia already has a couple NATO countries on its border, Latvia and another small one. They are small. The biggest border on western Russia is Ukraine (and Belarus). What’s the difference when a Chinese or Russian warship or military plane cruises the Pacific too close to our territorial waters. Or what if Mexico let Russia put a missile defense system in Juarez?

Again, I still disagree with Russia’s invasion, their propaganda and shelling of civilians, but I think the motives are a little more complicated than simply Russian expansion.

Just wanted thoughts from those who likely know more and have a better understanding of history.
The question of NATO’s relevance is an interesting one. It’s certainly a question that people have been considering both in the US and Europe since the end of the Cold War. Trump couldn’t even get many of the larger members to meet their defense spending obligations. There were also questions about whether Ukraine was worth admitting to NATO.

Ironically Putin’s actions have made NATO appear more relevant since 1991. Nobody in Europe seriously believed he would invade Ukraine and it has shocked many countries into actions that seemed unthinkable a few years ago. Germany and the UK are finally going to increase what they spend on defense, Sweden and Finland are now clamoring for admission, the Baltic states now seem justified in their fear of Russian aggression. NATO seemed irrelevant because many thought that the idea of Russia invading a European nation in modern times was absurd and now that has gone out the window.

If Putin invaded Ukraine out a fear of NATO he seriously miscalculated the response. All for a country that isn’t even part of NATO.

How would the US feel if Russia wanted to put missles in Mexico? I can’t say. I think it’s a silly scenario. Mexico is tied so closely to us by trade that it seems too outlandish to consider. We had cut ties with Cuba by the time of the Missile Crisis, which occurred during the height of the Cold War and included nuclear considerations. Maybe if Russia put a base in TJ we would finally start securing the border. ;)

NATO was never a threat to Russia. Nobody in Europe wants to invade them. Ukraine certainly didn’t have the capability. There were never going to be hordes of Ukrainian neo Nazis marching against Moscow.

One has to wonder how much of this was done for internal consumption. Russia is authoritarian but not an absolute dictatorship. There may be some internal power struggle this was meant to settle. I think that Putin has stepped in it and this has not given him the quick, decisive victory he anticipated. Now my question is how will he attempt to salvage the situation and will he be able to without escalation with the west? Will he be able to maintain power in Russia or are there parties there who will use this opportunity to supplant him?

I agree there are probably many issues that contributed to motive, which we will likely never know. While the Mexico scenario is likely impossible, I like the idea of it securing the border!!!

I've been discussing these points with some fellow Marine buddies. Cuba is arguably distinguishable as that involved offensive missile systems close to our border. However, one could argue that NATO, while implemented for mutual defense, can just as easily be used offensively. Another argument was that NATO did not historically invade countries, while Russia has (Poland and Finland '39; Hungary '56; Czech '68; Afg 1979; Crimea). One could argue that the "stabilization" efforts by NATO were for humanitarian reasons. But I have no doubt that citizens of the countries that were "stabilized" viewed NATO's presence as the invader. I guess it's perspective. However, those I've chatted with all agreed. At some point, the US is going to get involved. Then all bets are off.

Now we are talking. A well thought out argument that goes beyond US politics.
Indeed the Mexico example or Canada becoming an allied of Russia is a good one.
The one piece is worth noting is Putins romanticism with the old soviet union and trying to put it together so of speak...and of course oil, gas and others.
With all that said. Putins actions are unjustifiable...you just don't beat the shit out of your ex girlfriend because she left you for someone else.
I hope the rest of the world supports the US efforts to destroy the Russian economy.

Where are the terrorists when you need them? Why can't the Ukrain infiltrate some sort of terrorist organization in Russia and blow government buildings and destroy their infrastructure? Because quite frankly I hate to see us here at home having to feel the effect of this bs war.
I paid $5.89 a gallon today. I'm definitely going electric on the next car...enough with the gas crap.

Reactions: ke1234567
What's more disturbing. Is that some still feel joe is the best thing that's happened to this country.....oh my...
But those individuals do not say that with a straight face and then they immediately ask you if you have any spare change.

Reactions: ke1234567
I'm having the wife work over time...no way I'm giving up my truck!! Come on fellas..we can all afford to pay a little extra at that pump...

I'm having the wife work over time...no way I'm giving up my truck!! Come on fellas..we can all afford to pay a little extra at that pump...
We do what we got to do.. It's not like I run out twenty times a year plus I general have at least one other hunter to share the cost with.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu