1st Turkey Thanks for the help!

kgreen0117

Mar 25, 2020
Just wanted to thank everyone who took the time to share their knowledge and tips for hunting in the area on this website. I spent hours reading these forums trying to learn all I could so I could try and bag my first ever turkey. I've been out 5 days since the season opener and have walked about 30 miles trying to find places with less hunting pressure. Ended up finding an area 4 miles from the parking lot with a lot of tracks and some decent openings and had a feeling if I put the time in there I'd run into a turkey sooner or later. I decided to brave the rain yesterday and it payed off. I got situated overlooking an opening near a creek bed with a hen decoy down in front of me. Waited about 45 minutes after getting sat and let out a few yelps and this guy responded about 150 yards away. Played the patient game as he came in over the next hour. I'd do a few yelps every 10 or so minutes so he'd respond so I could track where he was. I shut up when I caught a glimpse of him through some brush about 75 yards away. He came in straight at my decoy and at 20 yards I took my shot on my first turkey ever on public land in socal.

Turkey 2.jpgTurkey.jpg

Congratulations! My first turkey said Jennie-O on it. Still haven’t broken that record...

Nice work! I got my first SD buck last season and hoping to get my turkey this year. No free lunch got to put the work in around here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Love that smile. congrats nothing like that first public land bird.

Just wanted to thank everyone who took the time to share their knowledge and tips for hunting in the area on this website. I spent hours reading these forums trying to learn all I could so I could try and bag my first ever turkey. I've been out 5 days since the season opener and have walked about 30 miles trying to find places with less hunting pressure. Ended up finding an area 4 miles from the parking lot with a lot of tracks and some decent openings and had a feeling if I put the time in there I'd run into a turkey sooner or later. I decided to brave the rain yesterday and it payed off. I got situated overlooking an opening near a creek bed with a hen decoy down in front of me. Waited about 45 minutes after getting sat and let out a few yelps and this guy responded about 150 yards away. Played the patient game as he came in over the next hour. I'd do a few yelps every 10 or so minutes so he'd respond so I could track where he was. I shut up when I caught a glimpse of him through some brush about 75 yards away. He came in straight at my decoy and at 20 yards I took my shot on my first turkey ever on public land in socal.

View attachment 43570View attachment 43571
Hell yea man that is freaking I was hoping to head out this turkey season for my first bird hopefully) but unfortunately my plans had other plans. But that is awesome congrats.

Reactions: BZ2

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu