2.5 day trip out of point loma landing

id trade a years worth of venison or pork for a bag of tuna, I like tuna...hate venison and pork...good stuff amigo!

• Haha
Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Nice! get that trimmed and vacuum sealed up.
I like to can some as well for longer term storage; couple garlic cloves and/or jalapeno slices. Yum!

id trade a years worth of venison or pork for a bag of tuna, I like tuna...hate venison and pork...good stuff amigo!
If you ever get down to southern California I'll make that trade.. I'll be heading over to Payson in the not to distant future. Other than that erringberge on the river for dove.

Limited yesterday on the liberty and getting ready to head to Colorado for an elk hunt so decided to be lazy (aka spend more time with family) and take it to a processor.

Weighted in just under 30 lbs of vacuum seal fillets without skin but man it is good food!!

170 lbs of tuna between the 10 me and my buddy caught.

Not going to lie, I am a complete newbie to offshore fishing but gratefully I had a buddy (who knows what he is doing) to walk me through the learning curve and by the end I got the hang of it.

E497E234-9E3B-4F65-9E11-A018D447B551.jpeg00BCD4B0-C28B-4027-805F-EA259993A937.jpegD814BAB3-F37A-4B19-93DA-614ED7EB18C5.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice, Good thing you guys got into them. The numbers were way down for Saturday, somewhere around 950 YFT for the day. Fridays number were 4500. All the boat traffic has a negative effect on the tuna. The same thing happened last weekend, that's the reason I chose to go mid. week. Mon. and Tues. numbers way down. The Thunderbird, the boat I went on reported one fish each day.

Nice, Good thing you guys got into them. The numbers were way down for Saturday, somewhere around 950 YFT for the day. Fridays number were 4500. All the boat traffic has a negative effect on the tuna. The same thing happened last weekend, that's the reason I chose to go mid. week. Mon. and Tues. numbers way down. The Thunderbird, the boat I went on reported one fish each day.

Yeah our boat pulled in ~150 for the day (3 per person average) but it never went off. It was more “finesse” because they were only hitting 20 lb test and you had to cast at least 30 feet off the stern and a lot were taken casting with the wind at your back.

Funny enough spinning reels had really good success because of their ease of casting.

I think I want to go out early / mid-week next time.

Yeah our boat pulled in ~150 for the day (3 per person average) but it never went off. It was more “finesse” because they were only hitting 20 lb test and you had to cast at least 30 feet off the stern and a lot were taken casting with the wind at your back.

Funny enough spinning reels had really good success because of their ease of casting.

I think I want to go out early / mid-week next time.
THIS! exactly, don't be afraid to go light line, or use fluoro leaders. With your drag set right, you'll be fine with the size fish being caught. Those that can cast to get away from the boat were getting hit far more consistently, corners of the stern.
As always, bait choice is key. If your bait' not moving, reel in and grab another.
Still can't get myself to use a spinning reel though... :)

In my hat day of offvshore sport fishing. I would take 3 large sea spinning real. , And two jig masters, 2 pen trolling reals.
The spinning real would be lined with 15 & 20 lb hybrid flo and nylon .
Sometimes all 3 would get wore out.
Some times the fish are line shy.
The line is thin and hard two see.
The pen reels had 20 & 30 lb

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu