2015 Turkey Season Recapped

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Well, to say that the 2015 season was slower than the 2014 season is an understatement.....Last year I was on 18 kills (+2 misses)......Compared to this season with 8 kills (+1 miss)......Jakes were passed on in both seasons (except New Mexico), but the total number of birds seen or heard was down significantly......All my hunts were on private property (except NM), but even with all the guys I know who hunt public, I only know of 5 birds that were taken. Of those, only two were actually called in.....MCC. which is always one of the best places to get turkeys was probably still the best with around 25 birds.....Although, that's probably less than half on a normal year.......Lake Sutherland which normally produces anywhere from 4-10 birds, produced one this year.....Lots of really good turkey hunters didn't get a bird this year......We need Mother Nature to start doing her part......SOON!

The highlight of the season was probably the youth hunt at Santa Ysabel Preserve and the time in New Mexico.....Despite a less than stellar season, it's always great being in the woods, spending time with kids, and hunting with close friends......Also, even though my daughter didn't get a bird this year. We spend a lot of quality time together......Priceless..... ;)

The successful hunts in pictures............. :)

Attachments

• turkey hunt 2015 017.JPG
    turkey hunt 2015 017.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1340.JPG
    IMG_1340.JPG
    980.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1143.JPG
    IMG_1143.JPG
    1,012 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1097.JPG
    IMG_1097.JPG
    906.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0917.JPG
    IMG_0917.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0907.JPG
    IMG_0907.JPG
    650 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF1145.JPG
    DSCF1145.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 18
Solid season Steve.

I got out twice: opening Sat and Sun. Saw two hens each day, heard no gobbles. Then got busy with work.

Will these late rains help them for next year?

Matt,

Actually these cold rains are very hard on any 10 day or less aged poults (hyperthermia).....2 weeks of rain like this could have a devastating effect on our birds......The rain did little to enhance grass (already dead)......And the few ponds and watering holes that did get a charge will be dry soon as well.....There will be some carryover in many areas. So, if in fact we would get rain this fall (El Nino). We still have a chance of reviving our once booming turkey population.......Keep your fingers crossed....Hoping for the best, expecting the worst........ ???

A few that made it thru the season........ :p

Attachments

• IMG_1323.JPG
    IMG_1323.JPG
    584.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1328.JPG
    IMG_1328.JPG
    573.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1370.JPG
    IMG_1370.JPG
    734.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1379.JPG
    IMG_1379.JPG
    746.6 KB · Views: 26
Good job Stevo! Another season done and already looking forward to next year. Many trips with zero birds spotted or heard....

fallguy said:
Good job Stevo! Another season done and already looking forward to next year. Many trips with zero birds spotted or heard....

Way,

The fact that you got 2 birds on the legit was great.......Tough season, but as always, very satisfying and appreciative when you get one...... ;)

There is definitely something wrong here... :-[

I am not in any of these pictures! ???

My recap. Had some close calls only hunted 1/2 days but nothing of The right kind.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    750.2 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 21

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu