2019 X Zone High Country Rifle Deer List

TRICER

Dec 20, 2014
tricerusa.com
So after 4 years and some research I drew my first X-Zone tag. I made a scouting trip earlier this year and have done a ton of E-scouting. I have a plan A,B,C etc. all of which involve death hikes and backpack hunting between 10-12,000ft of elevation. So here is what I know and what will determine what I carry. I will be up there 6 days and 5 nights, the weather is getting colder but it’s not terrible high teens at the coldest and mid 50’s at the highest. There is no rain in the forecast so rain gear stays at home. My pack weight with 2 32oz Nalgene’s of water and no clothes or weapon is 36.2lbs and all in with outer layers and weapon I am 48.6. All of this gear easily packs into my 3500L pack. I figured some of you guys would geek out on my gear list and hopefully this will motivate some of you to go on an adventure and educate you on how much thought and preparation goes into one of these hunts. For others it will remind you why @Hatchet is right and you should just stick to the truck. I am sure I missed a few things but this should get you my meat and potatoes.

Backpack
Exo Mtn Gear K2 3500

Clothes

Feet
Boots Kuiu Scarpa R-Evolution
2-Pairs Kuiu Merino Crew socks
Outdoor Research Gators (for stream crossing)

Legs
1-pair Lapasa Boxer briefs
Lower Base layer Kuiu Pelaton 97 zip offs
Pants Prana Zion’s (most comfortable pants ever)

Upper Body
Longs sleeve Meriwool 250 Merino shirt
Short Sleeve Smartwool 150 T-Shirt
Kryptek Pullover microfleece hoodie
Kryptek Cadog Jacket

Head
Meriwool 150 beanie
Trucker Hat

Gloves
Wool fingerless gloves
Kuiu Super Down glassing pro mittens

Sleep System
Tent Seek outside silvertip 2 man
Elnligthened Equipment 10deg quilt
Off brand blow up pillow
Thermarest X-Therm Sleep pad
Small 4oz tarp for floorless tent

Food and Water
Each day is basically the same changing up the type of dehydrated but below is what a day looks like for me. I have 5 1 Gallon bags packed like this for the trip in my pack
2-32oz Nalgenes
1-MSR Microfilter
1-titanium stove
2-8oz propane’s
1-20oz titanium pot
1- Sea to summit titanium spoon
1-Sea to summit collapsible cup 8oz
1-Mtn House Granola & Blueberries
1-Pro-bar
1-Pack Crackers
1-Flavored Pack of Tuna
2-foldgers coffee tea bags
1-hot coco packet with marsh mellows (these are awesome at night)
1-bag with 1/3 cup almonds, 1/3 cup dehydrated bananas, 1 dehydrated pineapple ring, and a gummy shark
1-Dehydrated dinner either Mtn house or AlpineAir

Optics
Vortex 1000 rangefinder
Vortex viper 10x42 Binos
Alaska Guide Creations Bino Harness
Swaro 15x56 SLC Binos AKA The Meat Seekers
Schonfeld Tri-Pod
Outdoorsman Micro Pan Head

Stuff in my red Outdoor Research organizer
I keep all of my random loose stuff in my OR organizer rather than have it in all the pockets of the pack it makes everything way easier organized
1-headlamp
1-Gerber scalpel
1-pack scalpel blades
15’ Para chord
Tooth brush
Small tooth paste
8-Norcos (incase stuff hits the fan)
5 packs Advil PM (they help you sleep and the ibuprofen is great after hiking)
20 altitude pills (don’t know if they work and I have never got sick but better safe than sorry)
Bic lighter with duct tape wrapped on it
Waterproof matches
10 extra rounds of 260 Rem
2 packs dude wipes
1 roll backpacking TP
Extra windicator
Bug spray
Water treatment pills (incase filter breaks)
Home made first aid kit band aids, blood clotter, goz, neosporene, moleskins to name a few notables
Deer and Bear tags
1 Ball Point pen (hopefully this is needed!)
2 zip ties
6-AAA batteries
1-pair hemostat pliers used for removing hooks and handling hot water pots

Random Stuff
Leki Aluminum Trekking poles (don’t buy cheap poles learned this the hard way packing out a deer last season)
1-extra headlamp
1-inflatable solar lantern
1-battery charger (should get me 3-4 full charges on my Iphone)
Roddy backpacking pole
5-rooster tales in an old medicine bottle
BlackOvis Deer Size Game Bags
Butt Pad
Garmin Inreach Explorer+ (I can text from anywhere in the world and I have SOS location if stuff hits the fan)

Weapon
Old Faithful Tikka T3X 260 Remington with a Leupold VX3i CDS set for 9,000ft of elevation
She’s getting retired after this season since my new gun is almost done but she always gets the job done and hopefully she gets to bark a few more times on this trip

I leave tomorrow morning for the hunt with a deer and a bear tag in my pocket. I really want to shoot a mature buck so I am mentally preparing myself for coming home empty handed. Like @Lungpopper says if I can find him I can kill him. I love a good adventure and look forward to sharing the trip with you guys next week.
752261B0-92B4-452D-9EBB-F8F33DDA81EF.jpegE885DDBE-CBF4-426F-A3FB-AD8F52B9EC5C.jpeg90A70E0C-9F3E-4AF6-8360-6F0B03116228.jpeg92C11479-EC70-48F2-B921-81D49BE2BCE9.jpeg7424DE41-E296-4B02-85A2-9F4E01031CA8.jpeg9FA821CE-32EF-4DC4-8C88-E8ECDD8B8CF2.jpegF86D94EB-3A2F-44A8-9B8E-B3E0B318CCC1.jpeg027B0E86-50A1-47D6-84F3-CDE96A057C81.jpeg

Last edited:
Get it Drew, I’m pulling for you

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TRICER
Looks pretty thought out. Hope you have a great trip with lots of success. How heavy is your rain gear?
I don’t have the best rain gear probably 2-3lbs but it’s bulky. Still waiting for the excuse to buy a good set from Kuiu. Hopefully @NBK will go with me on a Rosie hunt in OR in the next couple years that should justify rain gear purchase.

So after 4 years and some research I drew my first X-Zone tag. I made a scouting trip earlier this year and have done a ton of E-scouting. I have a plan A,B,C etc. all of which involve death hikes and backpack hunting between 10-12,000ft of elevation. So here is what I know and what will determine what I carry. I will be up there 6 days and 5 nights, the weather is getting colder but it’s not terrible high teens at the coldest and mid 50’s at the highest. There is no rain in the forecast so rain gear stays at home. My pack weight with 2 32oz Nalgene’s of water and no clothes or weapon is 36.2lbs and all in with outer layers and weapon I am 48.6. All of this gear easily packs into my 3500L pack. I figured some of you guys would geek out on my gear list and hopefully this will motivate some of you to go on an adventure and educate you on how much thought and preparation goes into one of these hunts. For others it will remind you why @Hatchet is right and you should just stick to the truck. I am sure I missed a few things but this should get you my meat and potatoes.

Backpack
Exo Mtn Gear K2 3500

Clothes

Feet
Boots Kuiu Scarpa R-Evolution
2-Pairs Kuiu Merino Crew socks
Outdoor Research Gators (for stream crossing)

Legs
1-pair Lapasa Boxer briefs
Lower Base layer Kuiu Pelaton 97 zip offs
Pants Prana Zion’s (most comfortable pants ever)

Upper Body
Longs sleeve Meriwool 250 Merino shirt
Short Sleeve Smartwool 150 T-Shirt
Kryptek Pullover microfleece hoodie
Kryptek Cadog Jacket

Head
Meriwool 150 beanie
Trucker Hat

Gloves
Wool fingerless gloves
Kuiu Super Down glassing pro mittens

Sleep System
Tent Seek outside silvertip 2 man
Elnligthened Equipment 10deg quilt
Off brand blow up pillow
Thermarest X-Therm Sleep pad
Small 4oz tarp for floorless tent

Food and Water
Each day is basically the same changing up the type of dehydrated but below is what a day looks like for me. I have 5 1 Gallon bags packed like this for the trip in my pack
2-32oz Nalgenes
1-MSR Microfilter
1-titanium stove
2-8oz propane’s
1-20oz titanium pot
1- Sea to summit titanium spoon
1-Sea to summit collapsible cup 8oz
1-Mtn House Granola & Blueberries
1-Pro-bar
1-Pack Crackers
1-Flavored Pack of Tuna
2-foldgers coffee tea bags
1-hot coco packet with marsh mellows (these are awesome at night)
1-bag with 1/3 cup almonds, 1/3 cup dehydrated bananas, 1 dehydrated pineapple ring, and a gummy shark
1-Dehydrated dinner either Mtn house or AlpineAir

Optics
Vortex 1000 rangefinder
Vortex viper 10x42 Binos
Alaska Guide Creations Bino Harness
Swaro 15x56 SLC Binos AKA The Meat Seekers
Schonfeld Tri-Pod
Outdoorsman Micro Pan Head

Stuff in my red Outdoor Research organizer
I keep all of my random loose stuff in my OR organizer rather than have it in all the pockets of the pack it makes everything way easier organized
1-headlamp
1-Gerber scalpel
1-pack scalpel blades
15’ Para chord
Tooth brush
Small tooth paste
8-Norcos (incase stuff hits the fan)
5 packs Advil PM (they help you sleep and the ibuprofen is great after hiking)
20 altitude pills (don’t know if they work and I have never got sick but better safe than sorry)
Bic lighter with duct tape wrapped on it
Waterproof matches
10 extra rounds of 260 Rem
2 packs dude wipes
1 roll backpacking TP
Extra windicator
Bug spray
Water treatment pills (incase filter breaks)
Home made first aid kit band aids, blood clotter, goz, neosporene, moleskins to name a few notables
Deer and Bear tags
1 Ball Point pen (hopefully this is needed!)
2 zip ties
6-AAA batteries
1-pair hemostat pliers used for removing hooks and handling hot water pots

Random Stuff
Leki Aluminum Trekking poles (don’t buy cheap poles learned this the hard way packing out a deer last season)
1-extra headlamp
1-inflatable solar lantern
1-battery charger (should get me 3-4 full charges on my Iphone)
Roddy backpacking pole
5-rooster tales in an old medicine bottle
BlackOvis Deer Size Game Bags
Butt Pad
Garmin Inreach Explorer+ (I can text from anywhere in the world and I have SOS location if stuff hits the fan)

Weapon
Old Faithful Tikka T3X 260 Remington with a Leupold VX3i CDS set for 9,000ft of elevation
She’s getting retired after this season since my new gun is almost done but she always gets the job done and hopefully she gets to bark a few more times on this trip

I leave tomorrow morning for the hunt with a deer and a bear tag in my pocket. I really want to shoot a mature buck so I am mentally preparing myself for coming home empty handed. Like @Lungpopper says if I can find him I can kill him. I love a good adventure and look forward to sharing the trip with you guys next week.
View attachment 41041View attachment 41042View attachment 41043View attachment 41044View attachment 41045View attachment 41046View attachment 41047View attachment 41048
Good hunting Drew!

Is that Cushion your only sit device? Doing floorless tent, and sleeping on top of a tarp on the ground... do you not get ant at night crawling up onto ya? I'm asking based on the insects and critters I always see that come out afterdark where I go. I mena I'd love to shed the weight, but the idea of floorless ten when I thing about the ants I see out there, I'm all like NOPE! But maybe it's a different circumstances at that higher elevation, and colder temps, eh?

Drew ,If there is snow up high you may not have to or be able to go to the elevations you mentioned. The last time I helped a friend hunt an x zone above Bishop we waited until the second week in hopes of weather as he was in his seventies and just wanted to day hunt. When we got there a storm blew in and chased us off the mountain everyday before noon for the first three days. On the fourth day we drove as far as we could in 4wd and got out and walked. We set up on a ridge with binos on tripods and radios and glassed. What we saw was deer coming off the mountain big time in three foot deep snow it was a full on migration the deer were nose to tail trying to get down low and find food. I saw the biggest buck I have ever seen in the wild that morning . I called my buddy and let him know it was below us but far and could not predict which way it would go. A little while later a group came towards our general area and I let him know they were close, a few minutes later I heard a shot and then a call from him to come over and give a hand. It turned out to be a quality four by five, not bad for a seventy year old man hunting at ten thousand feet. Bottom line my advice is take into consideration what the weather is doing and adapt.

If that does not work out...get in the truck dude...that always works, so im told...post him when you kill him please...no fluff.

X tag and your going for a bear?

I've seen this backfire many times.
Good luck

I would have recommended a GPS. No sense getting turned around while chasing game.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu