2021 Utah LE Wasatch Elk

Stikbrandon

May 27, 2021
Where to start,
Utah 2021 was the most physically demanding, mentally challenging and most satisfying hunt I have ever had. Most would say success is in the harvest, My self for a hand full of years included. By no means am i on the level of most on this forum but I’d assume as we gain experience in the field and adventures had our mind set changes and the small things start to make impressions that stick with us for life. It started in May when I had just landed at San Diego international and turned my phone on, my notifications started dinging, check some emails and noticed that Utah had put out there draw results. I always long shot a few applications and hope for the best as most do. Had no idea with my 3 points that a limited entry archery elk tag would be In reach. I drew the random non resident tag for the Wasatch mnts, That’s when my plans for the 2021 season went in to thin air and everything changed. A62611B2-128B-4782-B9E1-BE7B7154C348.png
One never see’s the implication of drawing a unlikely tag in the excitement of realizing the tag has been drawn. There was constant nagging on my conscious knowing time away from work, making sure to dot my I’s and cross my T’s to get everything lined up to be away for an extended amount of time. Amongst my tight group of hunting friends we all in good faith have spoken about the what if’s and in the past we all have said at one time or another that we would be there in the unlikely Scenario one of us draws a great tag. Unfortunately this was not that case due to new baby’s, change of careers and season dates which is understandable.

After long conversations with the wife the decision was made to hire a guide, this was not my first choice but considering the situation it was the best option. As the season opened, the reports of bulls hitting the dirt and rutting activity increasing daily my eagerness to be out there with bow in hand increased as well. My days were to hunt the 11-15th and the season ending on the 17th. I could not contain my self any longer so I left non a whim on September 6th. I was solo which my wife was not happy about, got to camp and instantly after setting up hit the woods, getting away from the wind ripped ridges and dropping in to the deep fingers the bugles of September were in abundance.
BF136AD2-8849-43E5-8EFC-B9BF3B38694A.pngE7884D34-19BF-448C-B9BE-DD2CAD69EE2B.png8308F4FB-471C-458A-8D10-3BF0C6820379.png

Being relatively inexperienced in chasing elk, all I really have to go on is YouTube knowledge of bulls screamin in the rut, shit works. Cow callin for response and going in fast with the wind in your face will will get your heart pumping. Being late in the day and last light coming fast cow calls were the ticket, bulls moving in,it seemed to me that once the bugles started the bulls did all the work and just fired each other up. Never got an opportunity, beautiful it was and the light faded. Over the days of running solo and making mistakes I was eggar to meet up with my guide. His name was Ammon, he is young, strong and full of energy. This kid has grown up on the mountain and knows it well. Ammon and I were able to get in close and I was able to knock an arrow 6 times, never was able to let one fly but this was not for lack of effort. Almost 80 miles in 7 days and my body breaking down, socks full of blood and running out of luco tape the season came to a close. I will keep my lessons learned, small success had and the memories of this hunt to my self. Ammon pushed me to a physical limit that I have never experienced before, this kid is a true mountain goat and has a bright future as a guide. As the days pass since coming home I reflect not on the hardships of this hunt but on the small victory’s had. Screamin bulls at 50 yards In The dark timber, the sound of a bull in a wallow, the raking of pine trees and shrubs in between the gust of wind that reveals the location of the bull your after, the smells of rutting elk in the crisp morning air and finding out that heard bulls rarely leave the wind.
D84290D6-510D-4FB5-ACE6-978D1C9F27A6.jpeg
C514CC7B-9DAE-40D7-B790-B65B56D1912F.jpeg

I truly believe to kill a heard bull everything has to be perfect and that a mistake on a wild animals part has to be made. I walk away from this hunt knowing that I may not have filled my tag but I am a butter hunter for it.

I love UTAH!

Incredible documentation!! Looks amazing!.."stay the course...tow the line..push forward..never waiver..and Finish!!" ** I myself am sadly in the stage of just killing...I lost my self many years ago** great post dude.

Reactions: Stikbrandon
Experience of a lifetime. Something to build upon for every hunt in the future.

You worked hard, not outcome you exactly wanted but you gave those mountains hell and can hang your hat on that. It will make success in the future all the much sweeter.

Nice job Brandon! It sucks not cutting your tag…. But man, you are going to remember that experience forever. Ultimately the taxidermy on the wall is just a physical representation of your memory of the hunt and the experience you had. It’s nice to have but you’re never going to forget all those screaming bulls. On to the next thing! The season is just beginning!

Where to start,
Utah 2021 was the most physically demanding, mentally challenging and most satisfying hunt I have ever had. Most would say success is in the harvest, My self for a hand full of years included. By no means am i on the level of most on this forum but I’d assume as we gain experience in the field and adventures had our mind set changes and the small things start to make impressions that stick with us for life. It started in May when I had just landed at San Diego international and turned my phone on, my notifications started dinging, check some emails and noticed that Utah had put out there draw results. I always long shot a few applications and hope for the best as most do. Had no idea with my 3 points that a limited entry archery elk tag would be In reach. I drew the random non resident tag for the Wasatch mnts, That’s when my plans for the 2021 season went in to thin air and everything changed. View attachment 51113
One never see’s the implication of drawing a unlikely tag in the excitement of realizing the tag has been drawn. There was constant nagging on my conscious knowing time away from work, making sure to dot my I’s and cross my T’s to get everything lined up to be away for an extended amount of time. Amongst my tight group of hunting friends we all in good faith have spoken about the what if’s and in the past we all have said at one time or another that we would be there in the unlikely Scenario one of us draws a great tag. Unfortunately this was not that case due to new baby’s, change of careers and season dates which is understandable.

After long conversations with the wife the decision was made to hire a guide, this was not my first choice but considering the situation it was the best option. As the season opened, the reports of bulls hitting the dirt and rutting activity increasing daily my eagerness to be out there with bow in hand increased as well. My days were to hunt the 11-15th and the season ending on the 17th. I could not contain my self any longer so I left non a whim on September 6th. I was solo which my wife was not happy about, got to camp and instantly after setting up hit the woods, getting away from the wind ripped ridges and dropping in to the deep fingers the bugles of September were in abundance.
View attachment 51114View attachment 51115View attachment 51116

Being relatively inexperienced in chasing elk, all I really have to go on is YouTube knowledge of bulls screamin in the rut, shit works. Cow callin for response and going in fast with the wind in your face will will get your heart pumping. Being late in the day and last light coming fast cow calls were the ticket, bulls moving in,it seemed to me that once the bugles started the bulls did all the work and just fired each other up. Never got an opportunity, beautiful it was and the light faded. Over the days of running solo and making mistakes I was eggar to meet up with my guide. His name was Ammon, he is young, strong and full of energy. This kid has grown up on the mountain and knows it well. Ammon and I were able to get in close and I was able to knock an arrow 6 times, never was able to let one fly but this was not for lack of effort. Almost 80 miles in 7 days and my body breaking down, socks full of blood and running out of luco tape the season came to a close. I will keep my lessons learned, small success had and the memories of this hunt to my self. Ammon pushed me to a physical limit that I have never experienced before, this kid is a true mountain goat and has a bright future as a guide. As the days pass since coming home I reflect not on the hardships of this hunt but on the small victory’s had. Screamin bulls at 50 yards In The dark timber, the sound of a bull in a wallow, the raking of pine trees and shrubs in between the gust of wind that reveals the location of the bull your after, the smells of rutting elk in the crisp morning air and finding out that heard bulls rarely leave the wind.
View attachment 51117
View attachment 51118

I truly believe to kill a heard bull everything has to be perfect and that a mistake on a wild animals part has to be made. I walk away from this hunt knowing that I may not have filled my tag but I am a butter hunter for it.

I love UTAH!
Great adventure, congrats on a life long experience, something that will never be repeated, a treasure chest of great memories.

Congrats, the experience is what will live with you forever. I have had the privelidge of helping others with a good tag where I had no stake in taking the trophy but was happy to just be there for the experience and those memories live stronger in my mind than the ones where I was behind the trigger. The memories you made will live far longer than something hanging on the wall or what is in the freezer. You did what all of us want to do and need to be proud of that. Good $hit. Congrats again you're livin the dream about as good as it gets.

Attachments

• IMG_0243.JPG
    IMG_0243.JPG
    234.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0203.JPG
    IMG_0203.JPG
    317.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0254.JPG
    IMG_0254.JPG
    440.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0282.JPG
    IMG_0282.JPG
    437.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0361.JPG
    IMG_0361.JPG
    302.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0383.JPG
    IMG_0383.JPG
    380.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0406.JPG
    IMG_0406.JPG
    228.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0091.JPG
    IMG_0091.JPG
    363.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0108.JPG
    IMG_0108.JPG
    396.6 KB · Views: 27
  • unit 36 041.jpg
    unit 36 041.jpg
    467.3 KB · Views: 32
Even though you didn’t cut you’re tag you were still successful! Sounds like it was an amazing time. I just got back from an elk otc archery hunt and I learned a ton from it!

Fantastic trip one you can be proud of.. Pat yourself on the back you earned it .

Glad you had a great time! Unfortunately, UT runs the archery hunt way too early and gives the peak rut dates to the rifle guys. Makes no sense.

Just like California, maybe their director came from here or went to the CA school of how to not set hunting dates correctly.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu