2nd quial hunting trip. Not much birds but still fun

Hotchkiss

Oct 19, 2011
Anaheim
Meet up with my hunting buddy Edwin and other friend that I went hunting class with. Left around 3:15 from Bellflower and arrived to our spot by 6:45. It was below 37 degree early in the morning and glad I have my new hunting jacket with me.. Both 2 friend can't stop shacking due to the cold .lol
We went to our last spot and found 2 others hunters with their hunt dog. We walked around them and goes high on the hill. What a difference from last week. Hike almost one hour and see no birds, Finally one small convey show up and we follow them for half an hour but couldn't catch up with them. I think they have been under lots of presure since opener. Saw one cotton tail and bag it. Firing almost only 4 shots to birds in the morning and missed them all. Funny part is when I wsa helping friend loading the rabbit into his game bag. One quail flying out 2 feets away from us and I was like .. WTH.. pick up my shotgun and fire at him. It was too late.. We both laugh at each other.. lol
SeanandKen.jpg This is all we got from the morning hunt.
Take a lunch break and went to afternoon spot deep into the mountain. The hike was harder for me since I wear the wrong socks and new boots. Feets were hurting so I had to walk slow. Lesson learned. :'(
We saw more birds in this area but they all so smart that keep very good distance from us.
KernMountain3.jpg

KernMountain1.jpg
I walk down a hill and 4 or 5 birds flying out from the bushes. I got 2 in one shot.... we keep on chasing them but never be able to get close to that small convey.
SeanandEdwin.jpg
didn't see any rabbit in that area too but saw a couple of coyotys. BY the end of hunt I got 2 birds .Edwin got 2 and Sean got his first quail
SeansQuail.jpg
It is so much fun and I am getting loving this sports. Got home pull out the bag and found out Edwin's dad took my rabbit zip lock bag and I got his trout. haha
Cook the quails and trout for dinner and those were good.
Quail.jpg
Trout.jpg
Going back soon and next time will be more prepare so I will not hurt my feets again.
Ken

Wow those dishes look delicious! and what a nice area. You guys looks like pros in some of the pictures you made the National Geographic look bad. It really looks like you had a great time and that's what all this is about.

Fantastic post Ken! I really enjoy reading about your adventures from beginning through to the kitchen! Keep em' coming.

John

Thanks so much for the post Ken I thoroughly enjoyed your post and pictures, that is some great land you are hunting. Any way you can post the recipe for the quail, that looks delicious and I want to try that recipe. If you post the recipe I will take your picture and recipe and add it to the main SCH web-site under Wild Game Recipes, Thanks and keep up the good hunting.

Here is the recipe for 3 cups quail. ( Name out of three cups chicken from one of Taiwanese food)

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Some skinless Quails cut into chunks
1/2 cup sesame oil
10 slices fresh ginger
10 cloves garlic smashed
3 dried whole red chilies
1/2 cup dry sherry
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup water
3 tablespoons white sugar
1/2 cup fresh Thai basil leaves

Directions
1.Heat vegetable oil and sesame oil mixed in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add Quails pieces, and cook until lightly browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Remove quails from skillet and set aside.
2. Heat sesame oil in skillet, then add ginger and garlic. Cook and stir until the ginger begins to brown, about 30 seconds.and chiles. Stir in the reserved chicken, sherry, soy sauce, water, and sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until there is only 1/4 cup of liquid left in the skillet, about 20 minutes. Stir in the basil , and increase heat to medium; continue cooking until the liquid is almost gone.

Give it a try and let me know how you like it ^^

Ken

If you wanna use the same recipe for rabbits. Increase the ginger and garlics. and add some cooking rice wine, more of basils. and use 1/2 cup of soy sauce instead, It will taste better.

Hotchkiss said:
Here is the recipe for 3 cups quail. ( Name out of three cups chicken from one of Taiwanese food)

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Some skinless Quails cut into chunks
1/2 cup sesame oil
10 slices fresh ginger
10 cloves garlic smashed
3 dried whole red chilies
1/2 cup dry sherry
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup water
3 tablespoons white sugar
1/2 cup fresh Thai basil leaves

Directions
1.Heat vegetable oil and sesame oil mixed in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add Quails pieces, and cook until lightly browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Remove quails from skillet and set aside.
2. Heat sesame oil in skillet, then add ginger and garlic. Cook and stir until the ginger begins to brown, about 30 seconds.and chiles. Stir in the reserved chicken, sherry, soy sauce, water, and sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until there is only 1/4 cup of liquid left in the skillet, about 20 minutes. Stir in the basil , and increase heat to medium; continue cooking until the liquid is almost gone.

Give it a try and let me know how you like it ^^

Ken
Thanks Hotchkiss. I'm gonna whack me some quail now and give this a try.

Looks like you may have a deer spot for next year too. Get a pair of binoculars, a deer rifle or bow and you're set.

BuckHunter said:
Looks like you may have a deer spot for next year too. Get a pair of binoculars, a deer rifle or bow and you're set.

Thanks BuckHunter.
That is what I am trying now. I have a 30-06 Remington with scope and already sighted in. I am looking for some area closer to where I live ( Anahiem) so I can go after Coyotes as practic to learn more about hunt. I know my AR-15 is not going to be the gun that I use for hunt..lol( That is what I used to use when I was in Military police in Taiwan).
It is hard for me to get start this year ( in most case I am too late to get the deer tag) and I am too new to the hunting sports. By reading you guys deer hunt posts did make me excited and wanna to try. Need to do more scouting in the wild for now. Will targeting the Coyotes or Jack rabbits to learn. Thanks for advise.

Ken

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu