300 WM

JakeSCH

Oct 16, 2017
Well I've setting on my 300 WM load for my elk hunt coming up in 3.5 weeks. Will be running the 181 Hammer Hunters with RL23 and once fired ADG brass. Eventually I will use 215M's, but I have a brick up 215's that I bought a while ago, so I am using them for now.

CA Mesa Ti 300 WM
181 Hammer Hunters
72.0 grs of RL23
ADG Brass
Fed 215's
Vel = 3131 fps, SD 8, ES 15

Right now I am just ~0.5 MOA at 40 thou off the lands, I may or may not mess with seating depth to tighten up the groups but really not needed to kill animals.

I started to getting a very light ejector marks at 73.0 or else I would have pushed it to the next node. I would have loved pushing these over 3200, but maybe I'll mess with some RL26 in January.

1600212810558.png

Reactions: NBK
just wondering why the choice of the hammers for projectile?

just wondering why the choice of the hammers for projectile?

I chose hammers because I want to use a mono bullet, basically narrowed down between LRX and Hammers. I was shooting the 190 LRX at 2880 with the same accuracy as the 181 hammer at 3131...which the lighter hammer also has a slightly higher BC. I could probably get similar velocities with the 175 LRX but at that point I would be dropping about 0.05 off the G1 BC for the same velocity...

Steve at hammer bullets told me once in a while they can push 3300 with that combo but usually just over 3200.

Elk are big but they shock and die pretty easily when you hit them near to a terminal spot just like deer. I have had the privelidge to watch dozens upon dozens of elk succomb to good shots with many different calibers. IMO you are there unless you want to try for the ultimtate in accuracy to bolster your cofidence. It's a 12" target behind the front leg and is easily hit from a long ways if you do your job. I have shot them with a 25-06 with a 115 Nosler at about 300 and they fell down straight away within about 50 yard's.. Not hard to kill IMO if you can shoot a bit...

Remember...dont over think it..them elk are a big target. Post him when you drop him.

Easier said than done...something about a rack that can make you just do dumb things.

Going to test the loads out to 500 on Friday and see how they group.

Oh boy...you aint lyin gus!!.. like i said..dont over think..aim for the line where the chocolate meets the tan, good night nurse!!....so im told....lol..

Jake stick with the RL23 100%

yeah I have. RL23 is outstanding in the 300WM. Since I got the FX120i and AutoTrickler, it’s not uncommon to put a 10 shot within 2 FPS.

I heard you had issues with RL26? What did you see? As of right now I am loading 26 in my 6.5 PRC and my 338 RUM.

I have shot my PRC in some pretty extreme weather without seeing pressure spikes, but the more I have read it comes with magnum primers.

Well.... I have a lot to say about RL26 LOL
I have used it in a few different rifles, but to give you a gestalt. Aside from the temp issues, it can be superbly accurate. It can however make you chase your tail. For example in my 22 creed it gave excellent accuracy and velocity, however it would give a flyer from time to time. It tends to develop a carbon ring. I would not use in a rifle I planned to hunt with.
I do use it in my 7Sherman Short and it’s the most accurate gun I’ve ever owned (however) it’s not a gun I plan on taking hunting.

Well.... I have a lot to say about RL26 LOL
I have used it in a few different rifles, but to give you a gestalt. Aside from the temp issues, it can be superbly accurate. It can however make you chase your tail. For example in my 22 creed it gave excellent accuracy and velocity, however it would give a flyer from time to time. It tends to develop a carbon ring. I would not use in a rifle I planned to hunt with.
I do use it in my 7Sherman Short and it’s the most accurate gun I’ve ever owned (however) it’s not a gun I plan on taking hunting.

Interesting! I don’t think I’ve run into the fliers with my 6.5 PRC, but definitely something I’ll keep my eye one.

I have some N565 that I may need to give a try for the 338 RUM 260 gr class pills.

I want to neck down a 338 rum to 30. Norma imp velocity and will fit in a regular mag action. 230 Berger’s of course (beats the 28n in wind deflection with 195’s)

I want to neck down a 338 rum to 30. Norma imp velocity and will fit in a regular mag action. 230 Berger’s of course (beats the 28n in wind deflection with 195’s)

I was listening to a podcast and basically the 30 Norma Improved was sweeping up long range victories this year. Those 230 gr bullets at 3100 fps does a fantastic job at those long distances.

My 338 RUM is “light weight” as it is just over 9.2 lb scoped / loaded.

All I run in my 6.5 PRC is RL26 and hammers. I'll have to try some new loads for the WM as we have to shoot copper in CA.

Reactions: NBK
All I run in my 6.5 PRC is RL26 and hammers. I'll have to try some new loads for the WM as we have to shoot copper in CA.

I'm going to work up a load of 152 gr hammers with my 300 WM using H4350. Should get around 3500 FPS and will devastate anything it hits.

Reactions: 180ls1 and NBK
Are you shooting the 124's? And are you the infamous @AGGRO from BD? And if so, where is the sweet avatar?

Aggro.jpeg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu