308 Win is a great hunting Cartridge…Change my mind

The seal snipers use 300wm using tsx bullets....... at least they did 5 years ago, my buddy is no longer in so who knows now
They use many calibers, Read Chris Kyles American sniper biography as well as Marcus Luttrells Lone survivor. My cousin who served during the Viet Nam era used a Kabar for most of his work...

So who hunts with a 380.......I mean 308?

Damnit Larry!

Last edited by a moderator:
I love this......

So the 1100 lover likes new calibers like the 300 win mag........ And the guy that started the thread talk somebody into a 300 win mag for elk.
I love the caliber debate cause it's always changing

I love this......

So the 1100 lover likes new calibers like the 300 win mag........ And the guy that started the thread talk somebody into a 300 win mag for elk.
Ever evolving and never ending!

Reactions: MJB
I love this......

The 300 wm and 1100 were released in the same year.

Reactions: MJB
I love this......

Nothing in my opening post says I only shoot 308 Win. I just think under 400 yards it’s a great hunting cartridge and no one has been able to change my mind of that.

as for @JakeSCH elk rifle he was deciding between his 6.5PRC and his 300WM the 308 wasn’t in the picture at least in my understanding. I have killed an elk with a 6.5 and I think a 308 caliber bullet is a much better choice than a 6.5. Honestly I would choose a 308 Win 168TTSX over a 6.5 PRC with a 127LRX for elk 10 out of 10 times. I shot a bull at 100 yards 4 times with a 127LRX before he hit the dirt.

I am not saying that a 6.5 isn’t going to work but it’s my opinion that frontal diameter and mass are a much more lethal combo on the horse size bastards.

The 1100 is actually very reliable. Benelli, Beretta and Browning have undertaken a huge propaganda campaign paying thousands of hunters to spread lies about the 1100's malfunctions for years. Without this huge propaganda campaign, Benelli, Beretta, and Browning would have discontinued their semi-autos long ago from lack of sales.

My two cents, magnums are always more potent than smaller calibers because of the energy expended along with the bullet used but the question becomes how much do you need to get the job done ?, Weatherby owned the market way back when as to how they used ultra velocity with controlled expansion bullets (Nosler's then) to impart hydrostatic shock in an animal, it was different than the world had ever seen to that point in time, But... there were other contenders out there at that moment designing ultra efficient cartridges that used veloicity to hurt animals as well AKA Mr Ackley (as well as others). Ackley saw ways to improve performance with cartridge brass shape combined with improved propellents. The 280 AKI is probablly his greatest achivement IMO but it was still a ballistics thing for P.O. Akley as well. The 308 came to be from the improvement in propellents after WW-2. When the goverment adopted the 308 it was in response to developing a better battle rifle combined with detachable magazines that produced more capacity with the same ballistic power as the 30-06. At that moment in time the 308 with improved propellents could produce the same performance as the 30-06 in a smaller lighter package and they went to the M-14. That proved to be a bad choice because a full auto M-14 was basically uncontrolable fire wise as well as being heavy. Then came then came the 223 which more properly known in military circles as the 5.56 (they are different when you split hairs) but that's a whole different conversation. The 308 IMO is a great cartridge that will be around long after we are all dead. Bottom line to me is velocity helps but bullet placement is how the job gets done..Sorry for the Larry length of my post but there is a lot to be discussed in this conversation.

The 1100 is actually very reliable. Benelli, Beretta and Browning have undertaken a huge propaganda campaign paying thousands of hunters to spread lies about the 1100's malfunctions for years. Without this huge propaganda campaign, Benelli, Beretta, and Browning would have discontinued their semi-autos long ago from lack of sales.
Well if those three need a spokes person to tell his personal experience with the POS, here I am. The guy I hunted with down in Mexico would gladly add his review. His 1100 joined mine in the silty river bottom down there. Two hunters, two 1100's, two splashes, though it was on two different occasions. Best $$$$ I every shitcaned.

My two cents, magnums are always more potent than smaller calibers because of the energy expended along with the bullet used but the question becomes how much do you need to get the job done ?, Weatherby owned the market way back when as to how they used ultra velocity with controlled expansion bullets (Nosler's then) to impart hydrostatic shock in an animal, it was different than the world had ever seen to that point in time, But... there were other contenders out there at that moment designing ultra efficient cartridges that used veloicity to hurt animals as well AKA Mr Ackley (as well as others). Ackley saw ways to improve performance with cartridge brass shape combined with improved propellents. The 280 AKI is probablly his greatest achivement IMO but it was still a ballistics thing for P.O. Akley as well. The 308 came to be from the improvement in propellents after WW-2. When the goverment adopted the 308 it was in response to developing a better battle rifle combined with detachable magazines that produced more capacity with the same ballistic power as the 30-06. At that moment in time the 308 with improved propellents could produce the same performance as the 30-06 in a smaller lighter package and they went to the M-14. That proved to be a bad choice because a full auto M-14 was basically uncontrolable fire wise as well as being heavy. Then came then came the 223 which more properly known in military circles as the 5.56 (they are different when you split hairs) but that's a whole different conversation. The 308 IMO is a great cartridge that will be around long after we are all dead. Bottom line to me is velocity helps but bullet placement is how the job gets done..Sorry for the Larry length of my post but there is a lot to be discussed in this conversation.
.50 Cal. when you need the job done right.

Well if those three need a spokes person to tell his personal experience with the POS, here I am. The guy I hunted with down in Mexico would gladly add his review. His 1100 joined mine in the silty river bottom down there. Two hunters, two 1100's, two splashes, though it was on two different occasions. Best $$$$ I every shitcaned.
You could find two guys that have had problems with the new, expensive duck guns too.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu