308 Win is a great hunting Cartridge…Change my mind

GDlover and 527, Please don't begit you or any other individuals comments off the original thread with what we were talking about with the 308 effIcacy versus other calibers and trade the conversation off. This has been the best the best thread in a long while . Please don't pollute it with you're drivel.. I would suggest that you both trade comments together somewhere else..
The snake has spoken. :skull:

“I love the caliber debate cause it's always changing”
No truer words have been spoken.
The mind is always spinning, looking for something better. I have killed elk and deer with
.224, .243, .257, .264, .284, .308, .338, .358. Some calibers with various cartridges.
I started reloading a long time ago. Mostly factory cartridges with a few wildcats thrown in. That started a pursuit of the perfect caliber and cartridge combination.
Still haven’t found it. Been close a few times. But like I said, the mind is spinning.

No truer words have been spoken.
The mind is always spinning, looking for something better. I have killed elk and deer with
.224, .243, .257, .264, .284, .308, .338, .358. Some calibers with various cartridges.
I started reloading a long time ago. Mostly factory cartridges with a few wildcats thrown in. That started a pursuit of the perfect caliber and cartridge combination.
Still haven’t found it. Been close a few times. But like I said, the mind is spinning.
How many of those deer were past 400 yards? You are a good measurement for this probably one of the most accurate shooters on the forum at all ranges and probably have 50+ deer notches on the rifle.

Reactions: JakeSCH
With few exception the rifle and round you settle on are the one you feel comfortable with. If you shoot out past 300+ yards consistently then you need to be certain of not only your ability to make an ethical shot at that distance, but also the weapon and rounds capability. This I feel is the question of which round is best for you. Do you need a round that is constantly capable of making 600+ yards if you normally shoot at less than 200. I guess the only right answer is, have a variety of weapons in Dif. Cal. to match the hunt you are going on.

Reactions: sportyg
When it comes to 600 yard shots whenever I put my deer targets out it is humbling experience for most guys pulling the trigger. I feel like under 500 most of us can hit pretty good but once you get past 500 the wind and other factors really start to cause some headaches. My furthest deer was 450 and I killed a Barbary at 430.
I can say I still regret not pulling the trigger on a bull at 640 in ID but ya know what can you do.

When it comes to 600 yard shots whenever I put my deer targets out it is humbling experience for most guys pulling the trigger. I feel like under 500 most of us can hit pretty good but once you get past 500 the wind and other factors really start to cause some headaches. My furthest deer was 450 and I killed a Barbary at 430.
I can say I still regret not pulling the trigger on a bull at 640 in ID but ya know what can you do.
You did what more guys should do. If any doubt, don't take the shot. The best case is, you miss. The worst case is, you hit and don't find game. I know, I have had it happen to me. I can't tell you how many times I have relived that shot.

Reactions: TRICER

I bet you would have pulled the trigger with a 300 WM! LOL better to not pull the trigger than to wound one.

I do think the max range can change with size of animal. I wouldn't want to poke our local deer past 450 but I don't have a problem with elk under 600.

Last year when I shot my cow elk at 660, everything was perfect. I even dry fired. LOL and it still stressed me out because I couldn't spot my shot due to the fresh powder blowing everywhere from my radial brake. Things you don't account for always pop up.

At the end of the day, my personal preference is to shoot cartridges with a g7 >= 0.3 at a minimum 3000 fps muzzle velocity.

Though I don't mind trading BC for high velocity. I wish i could get those 210 gr HH at 3500 fps...maybe RL26 would do the trick.
6.5 cm best round ever. like hittin the bang switch on the .223- nuff said

rnds made up by @dirtriddr, dude is a wizard on the press.
View attachment 51197

That is good shooting!

Pretty much everything works..when you put it on um in this spot..haven't had 1 get up yet..and there have been a couple..I can't speak for paper..I don't shoot paper..that howa 1500 in 308 is a sweet little rifle for the price..had a kid last week come out and blast his first buck with that set up.it worked just fine.

.Screenshot_20210927-100123~2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
it's funny 50 years ago I was gifted a 308 win Mossberg with bad iron sights, so I had a peep sight installed, and no one said it could not be done, killed my first deer with it jumping mid air & hit it in the neck at 50-60 yards, and I never looked back. I lost count how many deer that rifle killed. who cares about ballistics. it's the hunter.

I like ballistics.
NBK, Remember when I used to dig through the gut piles with the pigs we shot to look at bullets ? good times for sure with an education supplied, I was on Noslers back then and you were on Barnes both of different of calibers (.25 -06 for me and you did a 7 mag as I remember but you had others as well) they all ended up in the cooler no matter what. Then we did 338's with Barnes 210's on pigs and I got a double pass through on two pigs with one shot (another testiment as to energy that a bullet retains at distance). What I learned was my 25-06 with 115 Nosler partitions was good to go but solid copper Barnes went further penetration wise that we used with my double penetration Not apples to apples inventory but certainly gave evidence as to how two different bullets worked in the real world as well as weight and B.C factor's.. Bottom line we both took meat home without too great an effort.. Lesson here is as I have learned is put the pill no matter what size in the right place and then go get your animal butchered...

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu