.410 Ducks

Hunter527

Apr 3, 2018
Niland, CA
If you were to hunt ducks with #4 bismuth out of a full choked .410, what would be the furthest shot you would take?

don't know why anyone would use a .410 for ducks but, if that's what cranks your carrot, no more than 15 yards. I would say that's pushing it. Now that I think about it, Hatch would be the man to ask.

Last edited:
don't know why anyone would use a .410 for ducks but, if that's what cranks your carrot, no more than 15 yards. I would say that's pushing it.
I want to use a .410 for ducks because it was my first shotgun when I was 12. It's going to take a lot of discipline and focus for sure.

I loaded some #6 bismuth for my ancient .410 single shot and patterned it at only 20 yards a couple weeks ago. The results were rather disappointing. I personally wouldn't shoot at ANYTHING beyond 15 or 20 yards. Anything beyond that becomes a bit unethical---not sure how many you would wound and not kill. For the heck of it, why don't you pattern it at about 30 yards and see how many pellets you put into a 30" circle. Then do the same thing with a 12ga. That would answer a lot of questions. It's not just a matter of whether or not you'll manage to kill a duck or two with your .410, but how consistently and humanely you will kill the ducks.

I loaded some #6 bismuth for my ancient .410 single shot and patterned it at only 20 yards a couple weeks ago. The results were rather disappointing. I personally wouldn't shoot at ANYTHING beyond 15 or 20 yards. Anything beyond that becomes a bit unethical---not sure how many you would wound and not kill. For the heck of it, why don't you pattern it at about 30 yards and see how many pellets you put into a 30" circle. Then do the same thing with a 12ga. That would answer a lot of questions. It's not just a matter of whether or not you'll manage to kill a duck or two with your .410, but how consistently and humanely you will kill the ducks.
What choke does your .410 have?

Use full, only ducks in the decoys. 30 yard max. No passing shots. With no dog you cant sail birds. The full choke will keep that down.

Reactions: Hunter527
What choke does your .410 have?
Full. Almost all the old-time .410's were full. It really threw a crappy pattern. It would have hit a duck, but I doubt if more than 1 or 2 pellets would have hit, and that's at 20 yards.

I need someone to make a spoony version of this!

View attachment 49628
View attachment 49629
Now that right there is y I don't hunt ducks or geese. I have nightmares about laying in a field at 0darkthirty freezing my nuts off in one off those. Then after many hours, got to shoot one goose, that was limit down to Cibola back then. I looked at the guys that invited me and said, so, when does thew fun start. WTF.

This got me thinking. I have a contender with a .223 barrel and a .45. .45 can also shoot .410. Actually my friend in Payson has it because they are not legal in Ca. Might make a competitive ducker weapon. 9" barrel, Hot damn.

This got me thinking. I have a contender with a .223 barrel and a .45. .45 can also shoot .410. Actually my friend in Payson has it because they are not legal in Ca. Might make a competitive ducker weapon. 9" barrel, Hot damn.
Only if you’re stalking cripples in the tulies; close quarters combat!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu