.410 Ducks

I doubled on these two lards #6 steel 25 to 30 yards with the 410 while out upland hunting they never knew what hit them I would think bismuth inside 30 would work great long as you do your part8465AF53-0568-46E5-A966-C508D21F7E61.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Skeet,

That O/U with the English stock is sweet (Browning?)...Good shotgunner's can kill them with anything... :clap:

I want to use a .410 for ducks because it was my first shotgun when I was 12. It's going to take a lot of discipline and focus for sure.
I appreciate the fact that you want to hunt with your 410 for nostalgic reasons but you owe to your prey to be humane , your 410 no matter how much you practice will not be humane.

Thank about how many of your current ducks are retrieved still alive using a 12 guage.

So again no offense but I would uge you to reconsuder your idea.

Cheers!

This got me thinking. I have a contender with a .223 barrel and a .45. .45 can also shoot .410. Actually my friend in Payson has it because they are not legal in Ca. Might make a competitive ducker weapon. 9" barrel, Hot damn.
I think that’s backwards. A 410 can shoot 45 colt but I don’t think the chamber of a 45 colt is long enough for a 410 shell.

I appreciate the fact that you want to hunt with your 410 for nostalgic reasons but you owe to your prey to be humane , your 410 no matter how much you practice will not be humane.

Thank about how many of your current ducks are retrieved still alive using a 12 guage.

So again no offense but I would uge you to reconsuder your idea.

Cheers!
Theres guys that say what you’re saying and then theres guys that say its fine as long as you only shoot within its range. It’s kind of confusing, I’ll have to pattern mine and see what it looks like.

Back in the 60’s and 70’s my dad had a club at the north end of the Sea where we shot Wednesday and Saturday. The limit was still 7 but we could take all 7 being pintails. I would wait for the others to get their birds while I fished our reservoir for bass . When they left I would go to our best blind with my .410 a Remington model 48 modified choke . I used #6 lead in the 3” chamber . I can’t tell you how many limits of straight bull sprigs I took . Decoying coming in shots resulted in dead ducks no crippled or lost birds ! Once in awhile I would shoot a perimeter blind where the teal frequented and that gun was lethal as it swung so fast . I know this was a situation unlike refuge hunts today and I was using lead but the gun was capable and I still shoot it where I can use lead . Wouldn’t take it to Wister but cherish my 65 year old .410 and the memories it brings me . Old Quack 49

Back in the 60’s and 70’s my dad had a club at the north end of the Sea where we shot Wednesday and Saturday. The limit was still 7 but we could take all 7 being pintails. I would wait for the others to get their birds while I fished our reservoir for bass . When they left I would go to our best blind with my .410 a Remington model 48 modified choke . I used #6 lead in the 3” chamber . I can’t tell you how many limits of straight bull sprigs I took . Decoying coming in shots resulted in dead ducks no crippled or lost birds ! Once in awhile I would shoot a perimeter blind where the teal frequented and that gun was lethal as it swung so fast . I know this was a situation unlike refuge hunts today and I was using lead but the gun was capable and I still shoot it where I can use lead . Wouldn’t take it to Wister but cherish my 65 year old .410 and the memories it brings me . Old Quack 49

Larry,

Thanks for sharing...I too shot many a duck with my Rem 870, .410...Mostly jump shooting the Owens River below Crowley...Deadly at close range with lead.

.053.JPG

Reactions: Hunter527
Full. Almost all the old-time .410's were full. It really threw a crappy pattern. It would have hit a duck, but I doubt if more than 1 or 2 pellets would have hit, and that's at 20 yards.
I totally screwed up. First time in my life. I checked the choke of my old .410 [Springfield Arms, approx. 1910]. No wonder I got a crappy pattern at 20 yards, it's improved choke. Never saw an old .410 with that open a choke. Probably was cut and new front bead put on. Anyway, completely disregard my comment of a lousy pattern at 20 yards, just the rambling of a demented old man. But as long as we are on the subject, I think old shotguns, next to good dogs and the Great State of Montana, are the greatest thing in a hunter's life.

Reactions: ilovesprig
I totally screwed up. First time in my life. I checked the choke of my old .410 [Springfield Arms, approx. 1910]. No wonder I got a crappy pattern at 20 yards, it's improved choke. Never saw an old .410 with that open a choke. Probably was cut and new front bead put on. Anyway, completely disregard my comment of a lousy pattern at 20 yards, just the rambling of a demented old man. But as long as we are on the subject, I think old shotguns, next to good dogs and the Great State of Montana, are the greatest thing in a hunter's life.
That’s funny! Old shotguns are awesome. For a while I didn’t know where my grandpa had gotten the 410 he gave me. Then last month we visited some friends of ours, and our friend mentioned that he gave my grandpa a mossberg. I asked if it was a 410, he said it was, and it turns out it was his favorite quail gun.

doccherry, us old hunters have to stick together and don’t admit we are wrong or can’t remember stuff ! Sounds like you have your priorities right . My old guns remind me of so many hunts I shared with my dad that I still give thanks for his love of the hunt AND me . And he passed 34 years ago . Speaking of old hunters , Trig an interesting story of my .410 . My dad was passing through Texas with his new 3year old son. Me . He stopped at a drugstore and saw a .410 pump that he bought for me when I could hunt . Don’t remember if it was an 870 or a model 16 ? 1st time he was going to let me shoot it he saw I was too puny to pump the action and would put the butt on the ground between my feet and use both hands to pump it . He almost passed out and decided I needed an automatic . Hence my favorite little Remington 48 . Gun was a pheasant, quail, and dove killing machine. Ducks were a little out of the expected but did great

doccherry, us old hunters have to stick together and don’t admit we are wrong or can’t remember stuff ! Sounds like you have your priorities right . My old guns remind me of so many hunts I shared with my dad that I still give thanks for his love of the hunt AND me . And he passed 34 years ago . Speaking of old hunters , Trig an interesting story of my .410 . My dad was passing through Texas with his new 3year old son. Me . He stopped at a drugstore and saw a .410 pump that he bought for me when I could hunt . Don’t remember if it was an 870 or a model 16 ? 1st time he was going to let me shoot it he saw I was too puny to pump the action and would put the butt on the ground between my feet and use both hands to pump it . He almost passed out and decided I needed an automatic . Hence my favorite little Remington 48 . Gun was a pheasant, quail, and dove killing machine. Ducks were a little out of the expected but did great

Larry,

I received my .410 from my dad as well...I was older though and was already a huge fan of my 870 12 gauge...Now, that was a killin' machine...San Diego Bay, circa 1976

.san diego 1976.jpg

Larry,

I received my .410 from my dad as well...I was older though and was already a huge fan of my 870 12 gauge...Now, that was a killin' machine...San Diego Bay, circa 1976

.View attachment 49685
Steve, I bought Matt a 20ga Wingmaster when he was playing in the Arizona Fall League and he was chasing quail with other future Big Leaguers. I had used a 12ga Wingmaster and still do but Matt went out to buy himself his own Wingmaster. A .410 . I’m sure his boys will place claims on it as he gets older . Family guns are great. Old Quack 49

To both you Old Quacks---I still have my Rem 11-48 in 16 gauge, looks almost like new. Mod choke. Have taken many ruffed grouse in MT and a ton of francolin and chukars on the Big Island. Also have a Win Model 12 in 12 gauge with full choke. Loaded a bunch of bismuth #2 in 16 and 12 for all the ducks and geese I intend to slay this fall.

Old shotguns are like photo albums, a bundle of memories and thoughts of happy times.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu