4x4 for wister

I drive a 2000 tacoma 4x4 rear dif lockers, got stuck a couple times. What makes me not want to go out again in the mud is the massive amount of undercarriage rust it caused. I always pressure washed the underside after each trip and still the whole underside of my truck is hammered with rust. I respect the guys that go for it in their new trucks but make sure you get all the mud off. A lot of the area around wister stays like this even if we haven't had rain. I'm sticking to the dry dirt roads this season.

Reactions: WaterDog
I know what I'll do...... I'll call the diesel Brothers and have them build me a diesel-powered track bus with all track drive. The bus would be like 5ft high. I'll pull up to the check station, load up 25 guys ,there dogs and Arrow weed. Ill haul them out to the parking lot for there blind. I would do 2 trips a day to each parking lot. Before sunrise and after sunset. Cost you $20 a trip from Main parking lot to blind parking lot and vice versa.

There would be lots of storage under the bus and a long extended flatbed trailer for decoy carts and other large items. Think I could probably get it done for about $75,000..... Now just to come up with the cash.

.c2d53ac36112b2bf9a435098cf5455e9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
With all the mud and snow I've been in, the balance of the weight in the truck makes a huge difference from stopping on top of the road or sliding off one side.

The location & size of the tranny and bigger trucks
250 & 350 is not better in mud & snow.

Personally I'll take a little mud over that fine silt dust.

With all the mud and snow I've been in, the balance of the weight in the truck makes a huge difference from stopping on top of the road or sliding off one side.

The location & size of the tranny and bigger trucks
250 & 350 is not better in mud & snow.

Personally I'll take a little mud over that fine silt dust.

Mark,

You're probably right...I still think Jeeps are the best for mud.

.scan014.jpg

Limited slip or locker, I'd go locker, but neither will help much without big tires.

I have offroaded and done volunteer recovery in the Valley for 20 years. Locked Cummins on 40" tires, 12 winch and boom. The mud is grease when wet. Best thing if you don't want to pay a big bill is give it a day or two to dry.

If you get stuck, holler...I like a challenge.

I'm getting the shoe chains for my waders. They'll work in the Wister mud. :p

i am thankful every hunt for the sandy bottom we have at the club. That mud sounds horrible

Reactions: skeet

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu