5 weeks since new hip..

GUNDOGLOVER49

Aug 14, 2020
By all accounts I'm doing real good. Pain never was really an issue, Dr. says I just have a high tolerance for pain, what ever, never needed pain meds. I started PT five days after surgery, which was twice a week at home plus exercise I do three times a day on my own. I am now going out for PT. I don't know how long that will last, I think I am scheduled for 12 sessions. I had zero appetite for the first two weeks and still don't really have much of one. Good thing is I lost 12 lbs. and have gone off blood pressure meds. I don't know if that is temporary or not. I had an issue with real low blood pressure two days after operation, which put me back in hospital for two days. I Kept passing out, kind of worried the wife. Aside from PT I go out twice a day for short walks, gets me out of the house. My neighbor let me use his sit down walker for several days. My granddaughter had several school activities I wanted to attend and without that walker, I would not have been able to go. We went to her, letter of intent singing day at school, The University Of the Pacific offered her a spot on their softball team, which will cover 2/3 of the tuition, she will be in pre dental classes. On top of that she received scholarship tuition money. Then we had athletic awards banquet to attend, she got the MVP award. then we found out she was selected for OC Allstar team, so we went to Allstar game. Then to top it off we went to her graduation. Now on to full recovery for me and off to collage for her.

I had hip replacement too, twice. First I had on May 15th and was hunting X-10, alone in September. Had 2nd replacement five years later on other hip and was back hunting in fall. I live and hunt above 5,000ft and have had no issues. The only thing I do not do anymore is run, per doctors advice.

When I first decided to go ahead with the surgery, I asked the Doc. how long until I was somewhere back to normal because I have a two day fishing trip planned in mid July. All he said was no problem, you'll be go to go by them. Not 100%, but good enough to go.

Don't forget about the doves...gotta be agile for that Hunt buddy...come on sept 1st!!!

Reactions: ilovesprig
It took me about 8 weeks before i started shooting afain
The weight loss i can relate to
I lost 30 lbs bt preop but its all back unfortunately appetite did come back
Good luck on your recovery

Reactions: GUNDOGLOVER49
Have truck..will travel..I got you buddy..them dove are in trouble come Sept 1st!!!

Reactions: GUNDOGLOVER49
Spent the last month of the season in a walking boot after foot surgery a couple years ago. Doc didn't tell me I was supposed to be layed up for 6 weeks. I was in the blind the next weekend. My boys would drive to the blind in the side by side and I was fine. Just had to put a plastic bag over the boot. What we do to get into the field

Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu