7mm or into 300’s

WildBilly2

Apr 9, 2019
This is for all the guys that dig deep into ballistics and study a lot more than myself. I am considering a 7mm mag, 7prc or into the 300’s. Would be elk sized game boomstick. Looking for pros and cons and ammo would be hand loads

I'm not big into ballistics, but I like my .300 winmag which I inherited it from my brother. Kills elk every time. I shoot 180 gr. TTSX, go big or go home.

Either would work great, you won't go wrong and just need to choose your preference. The 300 will have more recoil and be harder to shoot accurately but will be more damaging on impact. 7mm is easier to shoot accurately and plenty of power to kill just not on quite the same level.

I use a 300 prc on elk now but if the 7 prc was out when I was upgrading I would have gotten one of those instead. That said, I've killed more elk with my .270 than anything else.

300prc at 320 yards. It hits like a truck, on both ends.

Reactions: ilovesprig
I'm a 7 mag guy for life. I've gotten to shoot a lot of different calibers and the 300's kick a lot more. 7mag with 168's or 180's is hard to beat. I recently shot a 7x300 PRC and hold onto you shorts that thing was wicked fast and a little less kick than a 300 PRC. The 7 PRC is nice because they already have the bullets hanging way out there making good use of cartridge capacity. All that said if I didn't know any better and was starting fresh I would give 7PRC a hard look. At this point in my life I have 7 mag dies access to a custom reamer and plenty of H1000 so I'm sticking with the 7 mag.

I am going 30-06 with 175G LRX this year. 300s work. 7mm works. You can get a lot heavier bullet with a 300. I like energy, heavy 300s bring the energy.

Honestly, no real cons for either...except a little more recoil for a 300 but with a muzzle brake there the difference is small. Price to shoot, etc you can get nearly the same results with the difference in about 30 grs heavier bullet for the 300 over the 7...

Elk will not know the difference. Choose what makes you happy.

Reactions: NBK
As others have indicated, they'll all get the job done. They had a great comparo on Meat Eaters website between 300 win mag and 7 PRC. I can't remember which one or why (I'm super helpful sometimes).

I was contemplating this last year and, due to recommendations from two friends whose hunting advice I trust, I went with a 7 PRC. I got a Ruger American Go Wild and put a Maven RS.5 scope on it. Man I love shooting that rifle. I've been building up a handload for it and almost have it dialed. One more test ladder at .5 grain intervals and I'll have it down. The Ruger isn't the most-expensive or fanciest rifle, but it shoots great, has a 24" barrel, and came cerakoted from the factory. I'll update the stock eventually, but it shoots great out of the box.

As others have indicated, they'll all get the job done. They had a great comparo on Meat Eaters website between 300 win mag and 7 PRC. I can't remember which one or why (I'm super helpful sometimes).

I was contemplating this last year and, due to recommendations from two friends whose hunting advice I trust, I went with a 7 PRC. I got a Ruger American Go Wild and put a Maven RS.5 scope on it. Man I love shooting that rifle. I've been building up a handload for it and almost have it dialed. One more test ladder at .5 grain intervals and I'll have it down. The Ruger isn't the most-expensive or fanciest rifle, but it shoots great, has a 24" barrel, and came cerakoted from the factory. I'll update the stock eventually, but it shoots great out of the box.

Awesome ! Got your self a Fire breathing dragon ! KaaaaaPooowwwwww !!!!! Flop dead right there.

What projectile you pushing ? Hammer???

Elk specifically i would do 300WSM or larger, if your going to hunt mixed game I’d do a 7PRC. If you reload and want to be different. The 7SS is hard to beat and it performs perfectly in a short action.

Awesome ! Got your self a Fire breathing dragon ! KaaaaaPooowwwwww !!!!! Flop dead right there.

What projectile you pushing ? Hammer???
Yup, Hammer 170 grain gave me the best groups. I'll be fine tuning it in the next couple of weeks and then trying it out at range

Reactions: Stikbrandon
I just picked up a 300 PRC and it packs a PUNCH.... I bought it for a elk hunt coming up sept. and took it to Hawaii test run for Axis deer and when it touched it crushed...... 212 grain Hornady precision Hunter ammo.

Reactions: YETI

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu