A guy hunting D-16 with automatic rifle

topher1111

Sep 30, 2014
My cousin told me last night that somebody was hunting D16 with a automatic gun and my cousin said he kicked up a deer and emptied his magazine on the deer. My cousin said he missed. Did anybody hear about it or actually hear it happen?

Every year you hear stories like this.....Or about guys taking "brush" shots.....Suppose it could happen...... :-[

I heard about 25-30 shots taken in a row, not automatic, but definitely one after another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric pecan said:
There's one AR hunter on another forum fill his tag in d16....

I hunt almost exclusively with an AR15 these days. But that doesn't mean it's automatic. It's very common to hunt with an AR15 these days. Just a semi auto rifle like any other semi auto out there.

I bet he had a drone.

Just reading this is terrifying to me. I hunt public land with my bow in D16. The thought of some guy shooting more than 3 times at a deer is scary. Specifically if the deer is running through the brush where other hunters could be. 25-30 rounds is absolutely ridiculous and no way acceptable for a hunter. If I hear anyone shooting like that I'll be waiting at their truck.

Moe Terboat said:
Just reading this is terrifying to me. I hunt public land with my bow in D16. The thought of some guy shooting more than 3 times at a deer is scary. Specifically if the deer is running through the brush where other hunters could be. 25-30 rounds is absolutely ridiculous and no way acceptable for a hunter. If I hear anyone shooting like that I'll be waiting at their truck.

I agree but where did we get up to 25-30 rounds? Granted any rounds blindly into brush is bad. Does anyone have any factual info on this or is it all hearsay?

IronworksTactical said:
Eric pecan said:

I hunt almost exclusively with an AR15 these days. But that doesn't mean it's automatic. It's very common to hunt with an AR15 these days. Just a semi auto rifle like any other semi auto out there.

Also hunted with AR for a while now for coyote and pig Scott. the reason i posted it is to let others that it can be done with an AR or AR platform .Although not my choice of caliber, rounds, and count (another discustion) he claim it took one shot.

IronworksTactical said:
Moe Terboat said:

I agree but where did we get up to 25-30 rounds? Granted any rounds blindly into brush is bad. Does anyone have any factual info on this or is it all hearsay?

I heard the 25-30 rounds in less than a 2 minute period in the area I was hunting. Were they blindly into brush?...I hope not, I hope it wasn't a hunter at all. I'd rather it be someone target shooting in CNF, at least that, hopefully, would be safer than someone blasting away at a running animal.

We're you hunting close to a duck hunting area, shooting range, gun club? At legal shoot time? Sounds like a local shooting in there back yard, target shooting

Eric pecan said:
IronworksTactical said:
Eric pecan said:

Also hunted with AR for a while now for coyote and pig Scott. the reason i posted it is to let others that it can be done with an AR or AR platform .Although not my choice of caliber, rounds, and count (another discustion) he claim it took one shot.

Another thread, agreed. Don't want to derail this one. Most my kills are one shot DRT, 6.8 not .223.

Daq80 said:
IronworksTactical said:
Moe Terboat said:

I heard the 25-30 rounds in less than a 2 minute period in the area I was hunting. Were they blindly into brush?...I hope not, I hope it wasn't a hunter at all. I'd rather it be someone target shooting in CNF, at least that, hopefully, would be safer than someone blasting away at a running animal.

Oh yeah that's bad! Hopefully someone was just target shooting. Even then most people can't hit anything rapid firing so no idea why they do it other than feel good operator cool guy crud. But I do doubt it was an automatic, probably semi auto with someone rapid firing.

Yikes that's nuts. Somehow not surprising though. Last time I went out for a desert shoot I heard someone poppin off an auto. Also couple years ago on deer opener had a guy in my area rapid fire 7-8 shots so must've been deer hunting with an AR also. Stay safe out there.

It is illegal to target shoot in Cleveland National Forest here in SD County per code A17......Must be in legal pursuit of game.

ps.....I know AR's are really cool & popular. But it always gives me a funny feeling when I see someone hunting with one.....I guess I'm just old fashioned..... ;)

I strictly use ar15 for deer here in so cal. It drops them in their tracks with a well placed shot and doesn't blow holes in the meat. Also a super comfortable platform for left handed shooters that only have right handed bolts in their gun safe. I do not condone shooting automatic or even unloading a mag at a running deer praying you hit something. I heard a lot of semiautomatic target style shooting near my hunting area and I just think about all the deer running off and never coming back lol

I have become a big fan of hunting with the AR platform. I have found that my smaller framed 12 year old shoots my 6.8 with alot of confidence . I ended up ordering me a new 6.8 upper and giving him the other.

You always have idiots that will break the law with no concern for the fellow man. I've seen people go in the woods with a rifle that was only bore sighted, I stayed far away. Keep your orange handy out there.

Nut cases like that are the reason I gave up rifle hunting and don't even go into the forest during rifle season.

sportyg said:
Nut cases like that are the reason I gave up rifle hunting and don't even go into the forest during rifle season.

I feel the same way about all of the crazy drivers on the road. I just walk everywhere now. And the nut jobs in the grocery store, I mean really? So I have taken up self sustaining farming practice. Oh and all of the cell phone radio and tower activity everywhere. I have this cool new aluminum helmet i wear now. Works amazing. ::)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu