A new guys journey to find a 2022 hunting spot: Intro and Volume 1

MasonP

Nov 21, 2021
Hey y’all,
For those of you who don’t know me, my name is Mason, I’m 29, and I’m new here (you can even find me in the newbie section)

So, here’s the deal. I’m trying to hunt. Which means I need a spot to hunt in (or a few spots). Problem is, I don’t have any spots. I don’t have any family who hunts, and the last person in my family to spend considerable time outdoors was in a time when it was just called “out” because the concept of doors hadn’t quite been invented yet.

With no family or friends who hunt, I wandered into the good ol outdoors on my own. I bought a good 35L day pack, put some snacks, fire, clothes, water, and a first aid kit in it, and off I went into the D15 area.

Here’s how it went…

I used my downtime at work and a week of free OnX to map out my route. I was focused on finding water, any kind of standing water that animals would consider drinking from. I found what I thought was going to be flowing water, in a state without any water, in the middle of a drought. Day of, I wake up long before the sun, put on my fancy new merino wool base layers, some Khul pants, a pair of $20 hiking boots I took off my dads hands for the low price of free, and drove an hour to a spot in CNF.

Within 10 minutes I knew, I messed up. The city had blocked off an entrance to the forest that I planned on using. No biggie, backtrack a little and find another way in. Well, turns out that flowing body of water I thought I spotted, was high and dry, overgrown by so many plants that I would have needed a chainsaw to get through.

Shit.gif

Go back to the car, open up OnX and AllTrails and see what I can do to salvage the day. New goal: see some type of 4 legged animal moving ANYWHERE. If I can see an animal, I know water is somewhat close and can begin narrowing it down more.

Proceed to walk 6 miles around D15, without seeing…well anything living. Not even a bird. I got on a ridge about 700 feet above my original intended path and knew it would have been a bust anyway. What I thought was a sloping saddle was actually a valley between two VERY steep mountains. Even if I did see something that I could shoot during season, it would be nearly impossible to retrieve and the animal falling down into that valley would ruin all the meat.

Turns out this scouting thing (especially right after the deer season ends) is a lot tougher than I expected.

Overall, I had a good day in the forest though, can’t complain.

What I got: A good workout, a blister (f***ing $20 boots…), and most importantly, to field test my gear and myself. I learned the ins and outs of my new pack, got a first hand look of the landscape seen only on maps (which helps me better understand Topo maps), and saw a dog on my way home.

What I didn’t get: A look at wildlife, a sunburn, a glimpse of water.

I may head into D11 next, as I live about equidistant between D11 and D15. I feel D11 can also have more of the…”forest” feel that I was also changing, with CNF feeling more like a desert than a forest.

Are there any rod and gun clubs close to where you live? If so look into joining. Kind of surprised Steve didn't invite you to come down to one of their turkey tune ups and meet some local hunters and maybe make some friends. Aside from that, keep researching hunting areas. If I were you I would really look into out of state hunting or at least look into Northern California. Bottom line, in this day and age you best be will ing to put out some $$$ for decent hunting opportunities. Sucks big time but that's the way it be.

Mason,

All I can say is, head south young man....The "16" is calling your name.............. ;)
The 16 is just a biiiit too far south for me, gas prices in Brandon’s America are killin me. I can get to the 15 and 11/13, but 16 is a bit too far. Maybe one day though, I’d love to see it. After I get a new tent so I can stay a few days instead of a few hours.

Willingness / stubbornness to keep going until you succeed is key...that or $$ like @HATCHET1 said.

That was only a single time out, get 20 to 50 more of them and you will be getting somewhere! Learn to enjoy the process of learning...
Yeah I’ve been enjoying so far, I love to learn as well so this has been a good time. I think when I get more camping gear and can set up somewhere and have multiple days, I’ll really be hitting it hard

Are there any rod and gun clubs close to where you live? If so look into joining. Kind of surprised Steve didn't invite you to come down to one of their turkey tune ups and meet some local hunters and maybe make some friends. Aside from that, keep researching hunting areas. If I were you I would really look into out of state hunting or at least look into Northern California. Bottom line, in this day and age you best be will ing to put out some $$$ for decent hunting opportunities. Sucks big time but that's the way it be.
None that I can find, my home is landlocked suburbia. The sight of a gun would make many of the residents faint out of sheer terror. The cities neighboring us as well, very very suburban. Takes me a solid 45 minutes just to get near a mountain or any open space that isn’t a paved parking lot. Steve invited me in my newb thread, so I’m gunna try to make the next one.

Dude..some truth to this..then fckrs ain't scared of the truck..once you step out..it's game on...just make sure you are off said road (step out of vehicle) and never shoot across said road...old Cherokee secret .

Mason,

I feel your pain, but driving to hunt in SoCal is just a fact...If you're hunting the "15", you can hunt the "16"...Camping at Lake Henshaw is very reasonable and there's tons of places to scout nearby...Tough time for me right now with waterfowl season in full swing, but I can show you lots of places after January...NWTF Tune-Up is Feb 26th, 2022...Scouting for turkeys can be very beneficial for deer as well.

Mason, like many have said, time in the field will teach you. In many cases, walking will be hard to see game. Find high hills and sit up there, then use your binos to find animals. Thats another thing you need to master, how to use your binos, they save you from walking long distances. I am sure others will keep pitching in…

Focus on learning how to identify sign (tracks, beds, rubs, game trails and turds) before trying to spot deer...learn how they are using the landscape and get some trail cams to place in areas you think are being used by animals..chances are they are there when you are not..

Mason,

I feel your pain, but driving to hunt in SoCal is just a fact...If you're hunting the "15", you can hunt the "16"...Camping at Lake Henshaw is very reasonable and there's tons of places to scout nearby...Tough time for me right now with waterfowl season in full swing, but I can show you lots of places after January...NWTF Tune-Up is Feb 26th, 2022...Scouting for turkeys can be very beneficial for deer as well.
Holidays are a busy time for us all, dont worry. I am hoping to make the Tune up, I currently work weekends but am waiting to hear back regarding a new job that will give me weekends off...If not, Ill see if I can get some coverage and make it down for the weekend.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu