A Newbies Journey to find a hunting spot: Volume 3 - The Signs

I agree, Fred...Going out early tomorrow morning to see what gobblers are in what flocks...Last time I was out, the main groups were just hens, jennies, and jakes...The big boys will be joining them soon, if not already.

.View attachment 53327
Seeing bigger flocks right now than I have seen in many years,different for sure this year...

Reactions: sportyg
This may come as a surprise to some of you but on that 1st track it could be a big horn sheep. We have lots of them around where I live and their tracks look the same.
Now THAT would have been a sight to see. I have only heard of them being on those "exotic" ranches up in the middle of the state

Now THAT would have been a sight to see. I have only heard of them being on those "exotic" ranches up in the middle of the state
There are definitely sheep up in D11 and 13. 15? IDK they like really F'd up steep areas, they climb stuff with ease you'd think impossible.

Good call. Probably 90% of my hunting is done with a shotty. Opens lots of opportunities.
Ill probably end up having to wait a few months...I have zero storage space available right now, with nowhere to put a safe. Gotta check with my brother if I can use his safe and get a key to his pad, would make storage much easier without the worry of running afoul of my employers/the law.

Ill probably end up having to wait a few months...I have zero storage space available right now, with nowhere to put a safe. Gotta check with my brother if I can use his safe and get a key to his pad, would make storage much easier without the worry of running afoul of my employers/the law.
Why would your employer or the law be in your home checking around anyways? You don't need a safe legally. And if you are worried about legalities the state would take issue with your firearms being stored with another person.

Why would your employer or the law be in your home checking around anyways? You don't need a safe legally. And if you are worried about legalities the state would take issue with your firearms being stored with another person.
Well, I work for the Sheriff so they do poke around a bit during hiring interviews (I am looking to promote) and I am also processing for a different job that requires a security clearance, so the feds REALLY like to poke around
The safe being in my brothers is a bit on the easier side to get away with, as he also works for the sheriff but in a sworn role. There are often children in my current spot, his house doesnt have any at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dawnandusk
Well, I work for the Sheriff so they do poke around a bit during hiring interviews (I am looking to promote) and I am also processing for a different job that requires a security clearance, so the feds REALLY like to poke around
The safe being in my brothers is a bit on the easier side to get away with, as he also works for the sheriff but in a sworn role. There are often children in my current spot, his house doesnt have any at all.
With children around… a safe is a must. Or at least a case you can lock down.

With children around… a safe is a must. Or at least a case you can lock down.
This exactly. Technically a barrel lock is all thats needed by the law, but there is absolutely no reason to keep a firearm, with the sole purpose of hunting, outside of a safe around children. My daily CCW is always loaded and never out (EDIT: never INSIDE of a safe) of a safe, but when the kiddos are around it is always on my person. A bolt action rifle or shotgun that is not intended for home defense has no place outside the safe around young ones.

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu