A Newbies Journey to find a hunting spot: Volume 3 - The Signs

MasonP

Nov 21, 2021
Welcome back to the most boring book you'll read all week!

This past Tuesday, back at it looking for animals. Look, at this point, I just want to catch a glimpse of a deer. Ill save you the time, I didnt see any. However, what I did find this time compared to the last outings, was good, fresh, identifiable sign, and one hell of a nature spot.

I headed back out to the ol' '15' this week in search of 'yotes to shoot, and deer to look at. Up early, and out to my "e scouting" spots about 20 minutes before the sun peeked up over the horizon. I set off down an unmaintained trail that I had not expected to see, but it was headed in the direction that I wanted to go, so why not. There was a high spot that I wanted to get up to and sit and glass for a while, but alas, the chaparral was too thick and the hill top was inaccessible. I made my way to the end of the trail, finding fresh coyote tracks and scat the whole way (along with some broken beer bottles and spent shotgun shells). As I made my way to the end of the line, I was disappointed I couldnt make it up to the high point that I wanted to, turned around, and headed back to the trailhead.

Now, heres where my day deviated from what I had originally planned...

I wanted to walk the trail down into another spot that I felt would be good to look around, but the sun was getting higher and the weather warmer, no way was I going to find anything to hunt. So, I got to the split of the trail, and went right (when I meant to go left...I ended up having to backtrack about half a mile). This would take me up in elevation rather than down.

Now heres the thing...this half mile stretch (followed by the half mile back, and about another mile or so along the proper trail) showed me just exactly why backpackers, campers, hikers, and hunters love being out there so much. The landscape was incredibly different from where I started the morning, and to me, felt like true forest wilderness. I walked so incredibly slow through the area because I wanted to soak it all in, it reminded me of scenes I had only seen on TV/YouTube.

Now, as I made my way closer to the sun, the scenery changed back to what I was accustomed to seeing, and was more of what I complained about in my first outing. Along this trail, since it is very popular with recreational hikers (and apparently meth users...as I ran into one...in flip flops and shorts, no water, a stick, and about 14 missing teeth about 4 miles along a trail that I was struggling with wearing solid boots and having a ton of water with me) I encountered significantly less sign, but still some coyote scat here and there, usually near some domestic canine poop as well.

At the end of the trail, I sat, enjoyed some great views, took some pictures for my GF, called everyones favorite sprig lover Steve, and began the hike back to my car.

Ill attach some pictures, but since I liked this spot and found good sign, there wont be too many wide shots. I need help on IDing one of the tracks, as I feel it is 100% deer, but also quite small, without any larger ones near it, like I would expect with a fawn and adult doe.

Overall, an excellent day, definitely beat sitting on the couch. Hunting this area would be interesting with the complete lack of visibility past about 20-30 yards, but if I were to get it done, I would feel like a badass (which means I likely will NOT get it done). Next stop...the 16 to visit Steve (I'll be there the day after the Turkey Tune Up) and see if I can be pointed in the direction of some spots where I can sit and glass for hours on end.

If I’m not mistaken, the coyote scat tends to have hair in it from eating animals (and those little berries too?) whereas domestic canine doesn’t. Also, the first picture, deer track? Very small, without any larger near it. Second picture looks like a day old coyote paw. Third picture I have NO idea wtf made it.E7392E3D-7E2A-43A6-922D-D43879232E0F.jpegFA075E4F-758E-4936-B8F7-B5A7952C99F0.jpeg733C3BB4-18AA-42E9-B4C9-5F842081712C.jpeg38DE249F-AC2D-480A-9CE1-DE86AC7C0A1E.jpegC5E92D43-D265-48F3-9C47-11B35061B943.jpegB1B6FA07-C1FA-4619-B14C-7BE8F80F4C16.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Dawnandusk
Mason,

Pretty cool being able to talk to you, while you up on the mountain....... :blush:

The 1st track is not a deer IMO (to separated & rounded)...Do you have any other pictures?...It actually looks more like a pig track...Coyote track (canine)...The 3rd track appears to be a bobcat track (round)...Coyote scat, especially with berries...Size of tracks means a lot...... ;)

Buck track & lion track

.IMG_4828.JPG001.JPG

Last edited:
No other pictures unfortunately. Pig makes a little sense, though I wouldnt have suspected them at the spot I was in. Maybe someone in the area has pet pigs, because there was also horse droppings around. Ill keep in mind track sizes more as I am out searching. I will likely return to this spot and take the other trail down (that I had originally planned on) because I could see some of the area from the top of the mountain I called you on, and it looked to be rather flat (topo maps agree). Maybe some good glassing, though with my luck, probably overgrown as well.

My first thought was deer when I saw your first track but after looking at some of my pics of tracks I believe Steve is correct..doesn't look like deer. These are deer tracks.

20191123_142246-1.jpg

Keep your eyes peeled for this typr of sign..this is what you want to find in the area you are in. (Deer poop)

20201115_142423.jpg

20191108_122205.jpg

As Steve pointed out the 2nd and 3rd pic are bob cat. They have small rounded pads..as far as the bigger kitties in the area their pads will be more predominant in the tracks.

20190412_124921-1.jpg

Keep at it man..even if the sign is there it is tough to spot game. I found loads of tracks and sign in areas and still haven't seen deer during the day in some spots.

Reactions: ilovesprig
My first thought was deer when I saw your first track but after looking at some of my pics of tracks I believe Steve is correct..doesn't look like deer. These are deer tracks.

View attachment 53322

Keep your eyes peeled for this typr of sign..this is what you want to find in the area you are in. (Deer poop)

View attachment 53323

View attachment 53324

As Steve pointed out the 2nd and 3rd pic are bob cat. They have small rounded pads..as far as the bigger kitties in the area their pads will be more predominant in the tracks.

View attachment 53325

Keep at it man..even if the sign is there it is tough to spot game. I found loads of tracks and sign in areas and still haven't seen deer during the day in some spots.
In your third picture, I have seen the little berry type droppings in the very middle...but not the rest of the deer poop unfortunately.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
In your third picture, I have seen the little berry type droppings in the very middle...but not the rest of the deer poop unfortunately.
Yea i think a yote popped a squat in the same turd pile. You see that in yote shit all the time. I think they are from the manzanita bushes

Yea i think a yote popped a squat in the same turd pile. You see that in yote shit all the time. I think they are from the manzanita bushes
I felt like that is what I was seeing the most, either the berries or hair, some poor bunny got himself ate for dinner

Turd pics...Larry hunts the 15...truth

Nope...only Clyde and little Jimmy with the cat he jerked off are top tier...stick with the scouting dude..you will be that much more ahead of the game when season comes around .

** edit to my above post** I think his name was little Johnny?? Stevo...help me out with this...man I'm getting old! And yes fellas....and on the last weekend of March...the Lord created yard Pimp season!! Thank you Jesus!

** edit to my above post** I think his name was little Johnny?? Stevo...help me out with this...man I'm getting old! And yes fellas....and on the last weekend of March...the Lord created yard Pimp season!! Thank you Jesus!
Don't matter his name, that's just wrong I so many ways.

Dale sent me a video of a recent yard pimp of his...bastard just out for a casual stroll...getting real ballsy with the season opener like 9 months away LOL

Matty,

I thought it was just "Jonny"...I think we added the "Little"..............Whacking his cat off....CLASSIC!.......... :joy:

• Haha
Reactions: HATCHET1
Matty,

I thought it was just "Jonny"...I think we added the "Little"..............Whacking his cat off....CLASSIC!.......... :joy:
Folks...if your were not around for this thread back in the day...you have no idea what you missed.....no way on god's green earth this could have been made up ..little Jonny and his cat whack shack...beyond appalling......I hated myself for even reading that thread...still Abit disturbed...gotta love the internet...LOL..

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu