A newbies journey to find a hunting spot: Volume II

MasonP

Nov 21, 2021
Got back into the field yesterday! For those of you who saw my previous thread, I’d been held back by so much lately. Needing new boots, needing to exchange those boots, F-ed up paperwork leading to a delay of picking up my rifle, rain, work, and gear failures.

Yesterday, before dawn I made my way to the “11” to follow a trail that I had identified had good potential for water and wildlife. Some apps I use showed comments that people had seen multiple deer and coyotes along the hiking trail itself. Packed my bag, laced up my boots, slung my rifle, and headed out from the trail head about 45 minutes before sunrise.

My goal was to get up on a peak/ridge where I would have a pretty good view to glass from just as the sky was lightening and I could see without needing my headlamp.

During the hike up, there was a decent amount of coyote sign, and I even saw one in a municipal park (no hunting) on my drive in just a short distance from the trailhead. When I got to my spot, I spent a good amount of time on my butt looking for anything in my binos. Nothing for quite a while, time to move to a new spot.

Moved up to a spot that had a great view over multiple ridge lines and a small pond being utilized for construction. Water is water, I was sure I’d at least see something. Quite a while later, still nothing.

The day, in my mind, was perfect for scouting because it was rather cool and had some decent cloud cover so it wasn’t getting hot or even warm, and the sun wasn’t breaking through so it wasn’t getting super bright.

Time to move even higher.

I’m now about 3 miles up the trail, and about 1/2 mile of elevation gained, I’m freakin GASSED from this hike carrying my whole pack with emergency supplies, aid supplies, snacks, 4 liters of water (about 10lbs of added weight) and my rifle.

Unfortunately I climbed too high, was in the clouds with no viz and temps rapidly falling toward freezing, despite my relative low elevation overall and it still being early in the day.

Stopped at a few spots on the way back down to glass some more, still no movement in sight.

Every point that showed water or possible water on maps was dry as a bone. Los Angeles, and SoCal in general, is dry as F lately so no surprise.

This was also in a recently reopened burn area, so maybe the animals hadn’t come back yet.

Overall, a good 7-8 hours out in nature. Not the nature I’d prefer (I’m more of a lots of trees forest type, as opposed to these “forests” I’ve hit up lately that are just SoCal shrub) but better than the concrete jungle I live in. Some great pictures too, they’ll be attached.

Thanks for everyone’s tips thus far, until the next outing (probably headed back to the 15 next) stay safe.

Attachments

• 94354E06-3242-43A6-B914-FBF5CB6627C9.jpeg
    94354E06-3242-43A6-B914-FBF5CB6627C9.jpeg
    569.3 KB · Views: 56
  • CF075A14-28B5-4468-8265-6F1937D4061F.jpeg
    CF075A14-28B5-4468-8265-6F1937D4061F.jpeg
    396.4 KB · Views: 54
  • D52B0109-5843-43A9-9155-EBE63D1E1F33.jpeg
    D52B0109-5843-43A9-9155-EBE63D1E1F33.jpeg
    358.7 KB · Views: 55
  • F177B6FE-12F5-40BD-85DE-4C69B1726CF1.jpeg
    F177B6FE-12F5-40BD-85DE-4C69B1726CF1.jpeg
    383.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 1BE7F838-4520-4B2E-B125-F2647AA7BA8A.jpeg
    1BE7F838-4520-4B2E-B125-F2647AA7BA8A.jpeg
    386.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 0D75DAD0-31CF-460D-84E1-C10F4C641027.jpeg
    0D75DAD0-31CF-460D-84E1-C10F4C641027.jpeg
    239.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 2BFB7670-101C-4657-9E91-59A49714F782.jpeg
    2BFB7670-101C-4657-9E91-59A49714F782.jpeg
    295.4 KB · Views: 56
Well you are doing what it takes and covering some ground. Not sure what time you were out but get out just before sunrise and look again around sunset. Not saying you won't catch them out during the day but those are the best times. A little advice, when you do find game do not post pictures that will give away your location. I'm sure a lot of guys know right where you were by the scenic views you posted. When I'm out at one of the local Islands fishing and we had a good day, the crew does not want you taking pictures of friends holding their catch with the Island in the background of the picture. Keep at it and learn a little every try you make.

Well you are doing what it takes and covering some ground. Not sure what time you were out but get out just before sunrise and look again around sunset. Not saying you won't catch them out during the day but those are the best times. A little advice, when you do find game do not post pictures that will give away your location. I'm sure a lot of guys know right where you were by the scenic views you posted. When I'm out at one of the local Islands fishing and we had a good day, the crew does not want you taking pictures of friends holding their catch with the Island in the background of the picture. Keep at it and learn a little every try you make.
I was at the trailhead at about 0545, pitch black. Up to my first glassing spot by 0620, sun barely making itself known below the horizon.

This spot I’m not too worried about blowing because it does tend to be a relatively well traveled spot, especially by recreational hikers. If/when I do get on a spot, it’ll basically be selfies and sign, nothing recognizable about the area.

I think this outing was half rec hike, half scouting, with a rifle in hand just in case. Next weeks spot looks a hell of a lot more promising, and will be 90% scouting and glassing, with a much easier hike during the afternoon hours.

Thanks for the tips!

I was at the trailhead at about 0545, pitch black. Up to my first glassing spot by 0620, sun barely making itself known below the horizon.

This spot I’m not too worried about blowing because it does tend to be a relatively well traveled spot, especially by recreational hikers. If/when I do get on a spot, it’ll basically be selfies and sign, nothing recognizable about the area.

I think this outing was half rec hike, half scouting, with a rifle in hand just in case. Next weeks spot looks a hell of a lot more promising, and will be 90% scouting and glassing, with a much easier hike during the afternoon hours.

Thanks for the tips!
Not a big Cal. hunter anymore so I'm not sure if the area you were in is currently open for deer or not, if it is make sure you have your license with you and tag . Mr. green genes won't buy I'm just scouting if you have a rifle with you. If you act like your hunting, to them you are hunting.

Not a big Cal. hunter anymore so I'm not sure if the area you were in is currently open for deer or not, if it is make sure you have your license with you and tag . Mr. green genes won't buy I'm just scouting if you have a rifle with you. If you act like your hunting, to them you are hunting.
Deer season closed. This was a scouting trip for deer, and if greenie wanted to jam me, I have my license with me and coyotes are open season, I’d say that’s what I was hunting.

Think about bringing a call next time....and lighten the load in the pack..watch the movie platoon when Dafoe stops Sheen on the trail and breaks his pack apart .. throwing stuff out telling him...you don't need this..you don't need that...much truth to that scene...also..tuff time to scout for CA deer right now..those deer you see this month won't be there in October...my 1.5 cents...but way to get after it..beats duck shooting..

did you spend time looking down? as in the dirt. look for tracks when scouting. if you see them then you know they are there. if you see nothing then move on. Do not freak out to much about the water. you would be amazed at some of the places deer can live just fine. The little tiny springs are just as good as a pond or creek. also up does not always mean more deer. They live where the food is and if the food is low they are just as happy there.

Got back into the field yesterday! For those of you who saw my previous thread, I’d been held back by so much lately. Needing new boots, needing to exchange those boots, F-ed up paperwork leading to a delay of picking up my rifle, rain, work, and gear failures.

Yesterday, before dawn I made my way to the “11” to follow a trail that I had identified had good potential for water and wildlife. Some apps I use showed comments that people had seen multiple deer and coyotes along the hiking trail itself. Packed my bag, laced up my boots, slung my rifle, and headed out from the trail head about 45 minutes before sunrise.

My goal was to get up on a peak/ridge where I would have a pretty good view to glass from just as the sky was lightening and I could see without needing my headlamp.

During the hike up, there was a decent amount of coyote sign, and I even saw one in a municipal park (no hunting) on my drive in just a short distance from the trailhead. When I got to my spot, I spent a good amount of time on my butt looking for anything in my binos. Nothing for quite a while, time to move to a new spot.

Moved up to a spot that had a great view over multiple ridge lines and a small pond being utilized for construction. Water is water, I was sure I’d at least see something. Quite a while later, still nothing.

The day, in my mind, was perfect for scouting because it was rather cool and had some decent cloud cover so it wasn’t getting hot or even warm, and the sun wasn’t breaking through so it wasn’t getting super bright.

I’m now about 3 miles up the trail, and about 1/2 mile of elevation gained, I’m freakin GASSED from this hike carrying my whole pack with emergency supplies, aid supplies, snacks, 4 liters of water (about 10lbs of added weight) and my rifle.

Unfortunately I climbed too high, was in the clouds with no viz and temps rapidly falling toward freezing, despite my relative low elevation overall and it still being early in the day.

Stopped at a few spots on the way back down to glass some more, still no movement in sight.

Every point that showed water or possible water on maps was dry as a bone. Los Angeles, and SoCal in general, is dry as F lately so no surprise.

This was also in a recently reopened burn area, so maybe the animals hadn’t come back yet.

Overall, a good 7-8 hours out in nature. Not the nature I’d prefer (I’m more of a lots of trees forest type, as opposed to these “forests” I’ve hit up lately that are just SoCal shrub) but better than the concrete jungle I live in. Some great pictures too, they’ll be attached.

Thanks for everyone’s tips thus far, until the next outing (probably headed back to the 15 next) stay safe.
Your photos tell stories about where you were. I live in San Diego county but know exactly where you were. When you find a spot be more discreet about the photo's you post if you want to keep it to yourself. Larry and others will be all over it otherwise.

Your photos tell stories about where you were. I live in San Diego county but know exactly where you were. When you find a spot be more discreet about the photo's you post if you want to keep it to yourself. Larry and others will be all over it otherwise.
Not Larry!!!!! :blush:

Reactions: MasonP
Mason,

Not that we need anymore hunters in the "16", but if we take a walk down here like that, we're going to see game...Just sayin'

did you spend time looking down? as in the dirt. look for tracks when scouting. if you see them then you know they are there. if you see nothing then move on. Do not freak out to much about the water. you would be amazed at some of the places deer can live just fine. The little tiny springs are just as good as a pond or creek. also up does not always mean more deer. They live where the food is and if the food is low they are just as happy there.
Lots of time spent looking down. Found fresh Yote scat and some tracks, then some older scat as well. I’m thinking the fresh may have been from the feller I saw in the muni park, as there was only one pile and one set of fresh tracks

Mason,

Not that we need anymore hunters in the "16", but if we take a walk down here like that, we're going to see game...Just sayin'
Steve, I keep saying I need to get down there. I’ve probably told you specifically a half dozen times
I’m always willing to take a walk with the experienced gents, I’ll give you a call this weekend and see if we can’t set something up. I’ll bring some treats from my home bakery as well, nothing like a good home baked cookie to keep energy up!

Yeah, the power lines up here are VERY distinct. For this spot, I don’t mind putting it out there. Trail up to Mount Bliss. I probably won’t return other than to hike the summit, won’t even bring the rifle next time, probably bring the GF instead. If I found anything indicative of game, the photos would be much more sparse

Think about bringing a call next time....and lighten the load in the pack..watch the movie platoon when Dafoe stops Sheen on the trail and breaks his pack apart .. throwing stuff out telling him...you don't need this..you don't need that...much truth to that scene...also..tuff time to scout for CA deer right now..those deer you see this month won't be there in October...my 1.5 cents...but way to get after it..beats duck shooting..
Yeah this pack is killing me. 10 pounds in water alone (4 liters) as I was also expecting to be suckin down quite a bit due to the hike portion itself. Got home with 1 liter left, so I wasn’t too far off. I’ll probably leave a lot of the snacks and emergency food at home next time if I’m doing well traveled trails. May get a new pack itself as well, as this one does have quite a bit of weight just by itself

Hey mason, I see your posts all the time, I thought that might be you lol. We went to high school together. Ryan K here.

Hey mason, I see your posts all the time, I thought that might be you lol. We went to high school together. Ryan K here.
Good talking to you on IG Ryan, looks like youve had some great success out in the field lately. Pretty cool hearing you filled both deer tags

Yeah, the power lines up here are VERY distinct. For this spot, I don’t mind putting it out there. Trail up to Mount Bliss. I probably won’t return other than to hike the summit, won’t even bring the rifle next time, probably bring the GF instead. If I found anything indicative of game, the photos would be much more sparse
Yeah it's not the powerlines that revel the location it's the second to last picture with the ponds in the background and the structure in the bottom of the canyon. I've not been to that exact location but found it in 2 seconds by looking at google satellite images just an FYI of how people can discern a location easy from large backdrops. Stuff close up doesn't matter as much imo because if somebody recognizes it, it is because they've been there before and most likely probably have an idea of area/spot already. Depends on what your there for. Nice buck that you haven't got don't show it.

Probably plenty of deer up there but keep in mind you are also new at this. It takes awhile to train yourself to pick up on sign and spot animals in general. I can't count how many times new guys miss game due to inexperience. The more you are out there the more you'll start to know what to look and listen for and in some occasions what to smell even.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu