A Zone North Buck

Gcddarren

Sep 23, 2014
It's been a while since I posted here but I wanted to share my story and experience to maybe help others out. I punched my tag last Sat. First official blacktail. West of highway 5.

Started hunting in San Diego, moved to Sacramento 4 and a half years ago. Learning new spots have been a struggle, it took me 4 years to find a consistent area with bucks. Passed on about 4 small forks the past couple years. Finally was able to find one with some size.

Things I learned over the years I want to share is that in A Zone you hunt before the rut. So of you find lots of does and fawns most likely you will not see bucks. The lower elevation tends to be more of a nursing ground. Plenty of food and water. To find the bucks go to the mountain tops! Completely different is San Diego. I would find the bucks with the does. Rut. I think its just timing and the zones.

Also way more trees and forest. Still hunting is how I am finding the deer. Take 10 steps, wait 30 seconds. Repeat. You won't see anything all day. Then out of nowhere they will he in the thick stuff 20 to 60 yrds away.

Also fire roads are your friend. You can walk them quietly and up here there are plenty of roads and I see lots of success from people road hunting. Driving around all day in the AC till you come across a buck. FyI its really hot in A Zone. A few years back opening day was 112 degrees. A hint is to watch the weather, if the temp drops take a sick or pto day. Go hunting.

Last comment us you can't kill a buck from the couch. Get out there. Got it done 100% solo. 50 yrd shot standing free hand. I laugh because all the long range practice and I get a close shot.

Also be safe out there. Bought a zoleo device to gps text my location and status to wife daily. Get one it really eases the mind of yourself and your family. Good luck D16 hunters.

20230819_112948.jpg20230819_112400.jpg20230819_135305.jpg20230819_135242.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Way to finish Dude!! Great looking Buck!
This is my first year with blacktail here in the coastal mountains of Oregon.
It will be solo and i have been scouting every chance i get.
Season here is before the rut as well...

That 3rd will get you a trip to the cooler every time in my camp..strong work..I hate A ZONE.

I also might add..that is the best shot placement hands down on any large mammal breathing.. Fantastic!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu