A22?????????

Buckhunter here is one back at you. Do you think it is right for a single hunter to hang oh say 40 stands on public land? It is public land now but by doing so would you limit yourself from placing a stand in a nearby location? Anyone who has hunted the Lagunas has seen all of the wooden tree stands that Gavin placed up there. Now knowing that, do you feel he has staked a claim on which you dare not infringe. I'm not saying that this is the case for Capt but knowing that many people hang three or more stands I can understand why people will hang another stand nearby. Also by leaving a stand on public land you've staked a claim to something that doesn't belong to you. I've hunted in areas for entire seasons and have seen stands that I never once saw a person sit in. I understand Capts frustration as I have experienced the same thing but I also understand the other side of the story. As far as the truck analogy the truck left parked is legal but the tree stands aren't supposed to be left up... So no I would frown on someone using my truck or my wife for that matter. No one tell her I mentioned the truck first.

Getting closer on the hogs again. May have to put the deer on hold and release the hounds. One of the hogs had some nice ivory that can be seen through crappy binos at 300 yards out. Stay tuned, I'm gonna try and kill that big bastard.

Hey Randomshot, about the wooden stands your talking about being put up by Gavin, I've come accross 2 wooden tree stands in the last couple years, but they have been in very bad shape like they have been up there for 20 or more years.

Are these the ones your talking about?
If so is there a cool story to go with them?

Randomshot said:
Buckhunter here is one back at you. Do you think it is right for a single hunter to hang oh say 40 stands on public land? It is public land now but by doing so would you limit yourself from placing a stand in a nearby location? Anyone who has hunted the Lagunas has seen all of the wooden tree stands that Gavin placed up there. Now knowing that, do you feel he has staked a claim on which you dare not infringe. I'm not saying that this is the case for Capt but knowing that many people hang three or more stands I can understand why people will hang another stand nearby. Also by leaving a stand on public land you've staked a claim to something that doesn't belong to you. I've hunted in areas for entire seasons and have seen stands that I never once saw a person sit in. I understand Capts frustration as I have experienced the same thing but I also understand the other side of the story. As far as the truck analogy the truck left parked is legal but the tree stands aren't supposed to be left up... So no I would frown on someone using my truck or my wife for that matter. No one tell her I mentioned the truck first.

No, I have never been up to the Laguna’s (to far) but it sounds like an awesome place to hunt, but way over crowded. 40 stands by one guy is way too many. That sucks and would make placing your stand very difficult. Who wants to partner up and buy some land?

[quote
Are these the ones your talking about?
If so is there a cool story to go with them?
[/quote]
No cool story, just a local tree trimmer who decided to hang stands everywhere. Most of his stands are 45' or better off of the ground. I climbed into one of his stands and pulled out the range finder. It was a 20yard shot just to hit the ground. A bunch of people got mad about all of the stands and one guy told me that he cut half way through the ropes on some stands. I warned Gavin to check his ropes and told him what was done. I spent the next half hour hearing Gavin go off about how it was BS, how he hunted the Lagunas before anyone else, and he wanted to know who did it. I told him I had no intentions of getting in the middle of this and a warning was all he was getting out of me. After that I know a lot of stands came down but there are still a bunch of them up there. As a word of caution if anyone climbs into those stands check the ropes first it is a long trip to the ground from them.

I have been looking at Palomar. It's somewhat halfway between SD and and OC, but still D16. It has deer, pigs, turkey, and I hear a few bears. But I'd be interested in any SoCal land. If enough guys pool together we could get a nice spread.

Having your own hunting land in San Diego or anywhere is key, not to derail the thread here but I would think real hard before buying a piece with a group of buddies. JMO

As far as the A22 hunting goes......I've been out 9 times in the last 5 days, I've seen 4 or 5 bucks ,12 or 15 does , 3 coyotes and 1 bobcat.

once that storm came through on Tuesday the animals disappeared.

Leaving tomorrow at noon for 9 days to hunt in X9A (Mammoth Lakes area)

TopBuck said:
Having your own hunting land in San Diego or anywhere is key, not to derail the thread here but I would think real hard before buying a piece with a group of buddies. JMO

Agreed ! A partnership is never as good as on your own. Everything would need to be agreed upon and put in writing. Land would need to be held in a trust etc. with buyout options for those that need out later. It’s done in Texas a lot. I’ve been looking into land by myself but the high dollar is a hard sell to the wife. Maybe just a dream…………………

TopBuck said:
As far as the A22 hunting goes......I've been out 9 times in the last 5 days, I've seen 4 or 5 bucks ,12 or 15 does , 3 coyotes and 1 bobcat.

once that storm came through on Tuesday the animals disappeared.

Leaving tomorrow at noon for 9 days to hunt in X9A (Mammoth Lakes area)

Good Luck! Can't wait to see the pictures.

Good luck topbuck! x9a has some monsters! I've had bad luck putting in. This was the third year i didnt draw a tag for x9a. Hope to see some great pics. :)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu