After many years finally filled a tag

Koi00

Jul 23, 2016
My dad has been hunting for a few years and hasn’t had success. He is on the elderly side and only hunts public land so it’s kind of hard for him to hunt rugged areas. But this year with the help of some friends we were able to get him on to his first buck.
Me and my dad had set up on a spot on the side of the mountain while a few of our friends went further down the mountain to try to fill their tags as well. We waited for about an hour I spotted some deer quite a distance but they were to far. A few minutes passed and one our friends let us know that there were some deer moving up the mountain. So we picked up all our things and headed back up the mountain to set up on a spot that I thought we would be able to have good view and a shot.
It was about a 1.5 mile walk up some steep and rugged terrain but my dad kept going. As we approached the spot we saw some deer but they had already seen us, it was a buck and a doe. They were getting away but the buck made the mistake to stop midway up a small ridge to look back at us. At 135 yards my dad took the shot. As soon as he shot the buck took off. We had thought he had missed so we went to check. Just barely over the ridge he was on the floor. He only ran about 15 yards and expired.

.4102C860-B967-480D-A7FD-51308653AFE4.jpegC1A5DB56-D1CE-4B35-AA24-FA4D4E3A8C9B.jpeg0ACAA615-3B04-45CE-9508-95C2F7830BA8.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu