Alberta Waterfowl Trip 2016 - (in the field daily report)

NBK

Trying to be the man my dog thinks I am.
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Jeff and I arrived in Edmonton yesterday late evening and picked up a rental car and spent the night in a hotel. Woke up this morning and did the ritual chores before arriving at the farm. Went to the bank to change currency, grocery store, Costco and Cabelas. Once this was finished a 2 hour trek to our destination. We get to Crystal and Rob's farm, put away groceries, unpack the rental car and change into our work clothes. The trip always lands smack dab in the middle of the wheat and canola harvest and this year was no different. Off to the fields to work we went.

We worked the fields until about 5:30 PM and then took a 2 hour break to go scout for geese. It took a few minutes but we checked a pea field that Rob had seen geese in a few days ago and bingo, we are in business. The field loaded up in about an hours time.

It's about 7:30 PM and back to the fields we go to continue to pick up wheat. We worked until 11:15 PM tonight (10:15 Cali time). All fun but we are tired and anxious for tomorrows morning hunt

Off to bed - tomorrow a hunting report !

20160916_100935.jpg 20160916_162709.jpg 20160916_173606.jpg 20160916_212320.jpg 20160916_215827.jpg

Not lights our shooting but not a bad day either. The birds really never flew this morning. Weird weather is our best guess. Now off to scout for tomorrow's shoot.
20160917_095852-1.jpg

Nice batch of birds John. Are you hunting in cut wheat fields? My allergies would not let me do that.

Nice batch of birds John. Are you hunting in cut wheat fields? My allergies would not let me do that.

The fields are cut but this morning was a pea field. You would probably be fine. More than likely tomorrow wil be a wheat field.

Three small bucks feeding. Huge bodies small racks.20160917_193714.jpg

John,

Nice talking to you.....Hope we can get together while you're up here.

Yes Steve, it was good to hear from you. You are about 90 miles south of us right now. Hopefully we can meet up. Next year we should plan to spend a few days shooting for sure.

We have a change of plans tomorrow. We stumbled onto another pea field. It only had a few honkers but what it did have was about 2K - 3K mallards. So we are defiantly going to shoot mallards tomorrow with a few incidental geese. We will let the wheat field build for a day and then shoot the geese off of it on Monday.

Will keep the forum posted...

John,

How many guns you have in your group?......If we find something between us, maybe we can hook-up.

Wet & wild this morning........;)

20160918_102614.jpg
John,

How many guns you have in your group?......If we find something between us, maybe we can hook-up.

Wet & wild this morning........;)

Hey Steve. We have three guns after today. We had a wet and wild one today as well. Cooled off with some wind as well. But that did not stop the mallards from bombing the pea field. We were under attack all morning. Today's total was 38 mallards. Good times!

Took a day off today to hang out and help where needed on the farm. For tomorrows shoot we have a large pond next to a pea field that is looking promising. It is chock full of honkers, specs and ducks. Hoping for a good shoot. We are heading out tonight for one last look at the spot. Should be fun. I love it when there are both ducks and geese.

We took a day off as well.....Got permission in a barley field next to a pea field that is absolutely loaded......Our field ONLY has about 150 honkers, but there's only 2 of us. And this evening, they came out in family groups.....Just how we like it.....;)

Lots of new birds seen .....The full moon in this area is a good thing......:blush:

Reactions: NBK
We took a day off as well.....Got permission in a barley field next to a pea field that is absolutely loaded......Our field ONLY has about 150 honkers, but there's only 2 of us. And this evening, they came out in family groups.....Just how we like it.....;)

Lots of new birds seen .....The full moon in this area is a good thing......:blush:

Looking good Steve. Hope you have a great shoot tomorrow.

Tonight we finished the evening with grain fed mallard shish-kabobs. Stupid good

20160919_214253-1.jpg

Had some folks set up in our plan A spot so we went to plan B. A wheat field next to the river. The sunrise this morning is spectacular.
20160920_071034.jpg

Plan B worked out today. We had small groups of birds decoying most of the morning. There were some big birds today too.

We battled weather this trip but the hunting was still amazing in so many ways. A great mix of birds is always a bonus.
2016-09-20 13.58.17.jpg

Back