Ammo Stashers

Hunter527

Apr 3, 2018
Niland, CA
Last week at San J, I pushed my cart into some bushes after dropping my decoys and stuff at my blind. On the way back I found a full box of shotgun shells sitting in the bushes, it was faded and had obviously been there awhile. Anyone ever come across this before? I remember reading on here or somewhere else that the fine goes per shell, anyone know the specifics on that? Also, it was pretty close to the levee and not hid very well. This means that they are not only lazy enough to risk a fine rather than walking back to the truck, but they are so lazy that they can't even put decent effort into hiding the box. funny stuff.

Earlier in the day, one guy brought a shoveler up to the check station and left it there. That's not funny at all.

I think it's like 50 bucks a shell....With a minimum of $350.00 and a max around a $1000.00....That's a lot of steak...:yum

ps...I have over the years found a number of stashed shells...;)

pss...One of the favorite moves of wardens at Kern is jump out of the bushes at dark-thirty in the morning and get ya going in......:scream:

Reactions: longduck
I think it's like 50 bucks a shell....With a minimum of $350.00 and a max around a $1000.00....That's a lot of steak...:yum

pss...One of the favorite moves of wardens at Kern is jump out of the bushes at dark-thirty in the morning and get ya going in......:scream:
That would be a great video!

Don't know why that's a thing some people feel is necessary to do. I can probably count on one hand the times I've had to walk back to the truck for more ammo and that's since that restriction was enacted. A lot of the time in our neck of the woods you wouldn't have enough shot opportunities to burn up 25 shells even if you shot three times at every bird in range.

Reactions: Hunter527

Freds kid Phillip hunts a lot of the Sac area refuges he said it’s very common to get checked on the way out before hunters get to the blind

As most of you know I'm not a ducker. So I have to ask, what is the reasoning behind limiting the number of shells you can take out with you. It's the rule/law, but why?

more bull shit rules , laws, just like the shotgun plug, an othe BS law

For me, I am very glad the plug rule is in place.

I’d hate to be anywhere near guys busting 5 shots every time. Let’s see, a group of 4 all going to the 5th shell. And we know there are those that would. We all can get our birds with max of 3 shells. By shot 4 and 5, there likely out of range anyway…. But that wouldn’t stop some from still pulling the trigger. Or maybe get a magazine extender and shoot even more?

No thanks.

Very rarely do I ever shoot 3 shells at a flight. IMO by the time you get off your second shot the birds are usually out of range the exception would be a cripple trying to escape.
agreed but that's more of ethics, and hunter responsibility. just like we don't need a 10 round max mag. we don't need big brother regulating us to death.

Actually, you can shoot snows in some states during the special extended spring snow goose season with an extension and no plug...I also found out this year...That in the state of Montana, you are NOT required to have a plug in your shotgun for upland...Only waterfowl.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
In Mexico there is no plug, one year I got an extended mag for my Benelli. First field first flush 4 roosters down in 30 second's. After that I got the gist of the reg.

Reactions: ilovesprig
About 5 seasons ago i was hunting the wiz and during the loll I decided rest my eyes on the shade side of a bush. When I woke I found a nice surprise at the base of said bush. A she’ll bag with three full boxes of shells (two boxes of 3” 2 ‘s and 3.5” BB’s) along with a couple of calls. That trip paid out pretty well for me. Luckily Mr. Green Jeans didn’t pay me a visit that time. Would of been tough to explain I guess.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu