Any birdies left?

Jason, unless more rain comes you should be good. Plus, there are more birds left because the hunt was cut short for everyone on Friday and at least for us, it was too muddy to deal with the next morning. Shoot em up!

Hunted the IV with the nephew and some good friends Friday thru yesterday morning.
Opening day limits all around. Spent the rest of the morning and early afternoon scouting south end of Wister.
Spent the late afternoon looking for spots that would provide access after incoming rain. Started raining about 2:30 Southeast of Brawley.
Saturday morning we set up on a spot that was a small walk off of paved road. Turned out to be a good choice; limits for the nephew and I. A little muddy but not bad at all.
Spent Saturday scouting everywhere from South of Holtville to Niland. Pretty amazing to see the result of Friday afternoon and evenings rain. Some areas seemed untouched but others were really flooded. Had to reverse or backtrack several times due to washed out roads or just too much water even with 4WD. IV mud .
Hunted yesterday morning in same area as Saturday with still a lot of birds around.
I couldn’t hit the side of a barn yesterday !!

I shot 60 shells for 11 birds; I sailed at least a dozen . Nephew limited out !
By 9am with no shade and no more clouds to hide the sun I had 10 birds and 5 shells. Decided right then to shoot the last of my shells and call it good. Wasn’t about to walk to the truck for more shells for 4 more birds ! Did I mention it was smoking hot !

Just a side note for you newbie’s especially!
Watch you direction of fire; had a guy pepper me with 3 bbs in the back. One kinda stung ! I gave that young man a quick tongue lashing as he walked right at me into the field about 30 yards to retrieve his bird. Good thing I had my back to him and his idiot partner who decided he would hunt in the field. Also clean up your spent casings, nothing worse than leaving casings on someone else’s property!
If it’s posted don’t hunt it ! Had some guys across the street Saturday who ran over one No Trespassing sign going into property and moved 2 other signs.
Landowner was pissed; he owned the property we were on and where the idiots were across the street. Landowner was way cool with us just asked that we didn’t shoot towards his house and outbuildings and pick up are mess when we left.
Easy Peasy !
That kind of behavior just solidifies the owner’s mind about refusing access to everyone.
Look at it this way ! Would you like it if someone shit on the floor of your home ?

Anything for a dove... disturbing

Amen.. I saw a lot of shells on the ground today.. disgusting. First light my daughter (9) and I hit my usual spot in Holtville.. crickets. Late morning moved down south and birds were flying with the wind. Dropped 10 in under 20 minutes but had to split since hotel checkout was a comin'. Birds were still flying.. could've been a great day if we had started there from dawn.

Amen.. I saw a lot of shells on the ground today.. disgusting. First light my daughter (9) and I hit my usual spot in Holtville.. crickets. Late morning moved down south and birds were flying with the wind. Dropped 10 in under 20 minutes but had to split since hotel checkout was a comin'. Birds were still flying.. could've been a great day if we had started there from dawn.
Good effort Jason. 11:00 am checkout sucks. Slobs suck too.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu