Any dove reports for San Jacinto, Cady, San Felipe?

Heard there were 144 hunters on San J...That's right, 144 hunters...WOW!

ps...They got 177 doves
Pretty low bird numbers. And last weeks WON reported they timed the field cutting just right and there were lots of dove at SJ. Hmm?

"163 hunters had utilized San Jacinto for their pursuit of the little gray rockets, coming away with a total of 238 dove. That averaged out to 1.46 birds per gun."

Link Here

I live right by SJ, and from what I saw, it was pretty dismal. My buddy went to El Centro and did way better.

Last edited:
It would be great to have a close-in dove spot but San Jacinto just never seems to live up to the projections. Unless like Steve said, most guys just missed their targets or went to the wrong part of the reserve.

Kevin,

I saw a lot of doves there before the work party...Most in one area with thick turkey melon...I know for sure, they didn't stick a 163 guys in there... ;)

Reactions: WaterDawg
It was my first time there and bagged one.

probably saw about 20/25 doves in total before it got too hot.

If I wasn't so antsy, I probably should have gotten 3 or 4 more, but had issues (safety on, shell got stuck etc, lost one in thick brush etc..)

the fields were cut, and the crowd was manageable (plenty of room)

but I saw more birds sitting on power lines along the road and the ones on trees would fly away, when I got within 75 yards.

Really wanted to check it out for any future hunts, but next year for dove i'll probably go elsewhere

I was at Camp Cady with a couple buddies. I got five, one friend got six and a rabbit, and the third got one dove. Better than last year when it was three dove, two dove, and one dove between three people. We got there about ten minutes before hunting hours and the birds flew right on schedule.

Reactions: DoubleTrouble
Hunted private property in Bakersfield. 104 somewhat humid on Sunday Evening. got 8 birds, but not for lack of them. Im just a terrible shooter. Some people in the field, but not too many. Monday morning it was cooler, i got 9 birds with less wasted ammo, again could have limited out if we got there earlier and shot straighter. No one else in the field we were at on Monday morning.

It was my first time there and bagged one.

probably saw about 20/25 doves in total before it got too hot.

If I wasn't so antsy, I probably should have gotten 3 or 4 more, but had issues (safety on, shell got stuck etc, lost one in thick brush etc..)

the fields were cut, and the crowd was manageable (plenty of room)

but I saw more birds sitting on power lines along the road and the ones on trees would fly away, when I got within 75 yards.

Really wanted to check it out for any future hunts, but next year for dove i'll probably go elsewhere
Thanks for the report. Sounds like you really had to be in exactly the right spot to get them flying by in any volume.

I was at Camp Cady with a couple buddies. I got five, one friend got six and a rabbit, and the third got one dove. Better than last year when it was three dove, two dove, and one dove between three people. We got there about ten minutes before hunting hours and the birds flew right on schedule.

Great effort and thanks for the report. Did you shoot west of Harvard or over by the camp, ponds and willow trees?

Hunted private property in Bakersfield. 104 somewhat humid on Sunday Evening. got 8 birds, but not for lack of them. Im just a terrible shooter. Some people in the field, but not too many. Monday morning it was cooler, i got 9 birds with less wasted ammo, again could have limited out if we got there earlier and shot straighter. No one else in the field we were at on Monday morning.

The little gray rockets can make us all look like terrible shooters!

We were by the camp, in the wash area near the eastern pond. We would have gotten a few more if we were better shots, and it didn't help that there were two guys camped in front of us without plugs in the shotguns shooting semi-auto. They would miss the first four shots and get the dove on the fifth or sixth, while we're sitting over here obeying the laws with 2+1 shotgun plugs like dumbasses. Oh well, it's not like we're depending on the dove meat to live.

Overall a great day. Everyone cleared out around 9:30 and we had the place mostly to ourselves until we left at noon. That heat did catch up on me though and I ran out of water at about 10:00, so next year I am definitely bringing a few gatorades or waters on top of my Camelbak.

Reactions: WaterDawg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu