Any reports from D16?

DanSanDiego

Venison for Thanksgiving 2016
Sep 18, 2014
Any reports of bucks harvested? Was it crowded out there today or quiet for a first day?
Start posting the photos and stories from opening weekend. Those of us who aren’t going to make it out till later in the season are currently living through your stories from the field.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
It was crazy in my spot. Usually empty but ended up with 6 hunters within 600 yards that I could see then hiked further in and there were another 4 hunters who got access via private land so they could drive up to where I hiked a few miles to. Lol

Saw a couple of doe that were in a hurry because they were flushed by someone else.

Lots of guns shots this morning. Not sure what was going on but I heard 4 shots in one burst and then 2 other bursts of 3 from different areas. People flinging lead.

A couple off MCC including a 4x3 and last I heard they were tracking a 3x. Does, spikes, and 30 second glance at a good buck for me. I’ll check back in tomorrow. Good luck out there guys!

Helped my buddy fill his tag this morning. Didn’t see any other bucks taken. Fire station we went to hadn’t checked any other deer either.

I didn’t see any deer or other hunters today. Got to the trailhead this morning and two hikers pulled up as well. Grabbed my pack and rifle, told the hikers to have a great day and off I went. Ended up settling down overlooking a small clearing just below a junction with two canyons I had scouted earlier with lots of deer sign.

The blue jays and woodpeckers put on quite a show while I waited and a covey of quail made an appearance as well. After four hours of no other activity, I decided to make my way up towards the end of the canyon. I never saw any more wildlife but I did come across a hidden spring, remnants from Native Americans (grinding holes and pottery shards) and undocumented immigrants (discarded packs, cans, and cloth “slippers” used to disguise their footprints).

I hiked about 4.5 miles and even though I never saw any deer, it was still fun exploring San Diego’s backcountry.

FFC27365-7654-4C3E-AEEB-51391397B71B.jpeg

D2D147B0-CDA6-4555-B12E-2297982E1B1D.jpeg

35CE8739-9F65-4EEC-9E6B-854D74D8E342.jpeg

6DA29A11-7612-40E2-ABA0-0B43F819D92E.jpeg

D072C850-095A-40D7-9BDC-2F14145C82D8.jpeg

C01D3E50-2B83-4789-990A-93725B8AD0BA.jpeg

6A4C900D-145C-4ADC-8BC3-9CAF61E5F841.jpeg

Hunted again on Monday. Climbed up a ridge overlooking a canyon to glass, however, if I ended up seeing something there was no way to acces the canyon below... much to steep and overgrown. I figured it’s just a process of elimination on spots to hunt.

In the evening I moved higher up in the Lagunas. Came across a tree stand and camera (I smiled and waved) and another spring. Hopefully I’ll get a few more opportunities to hunt midweek. Happy hunting!

186076D4-43D0-4778-B346-11DCBB939C1B.jpeg

FE418DF6-6A7A-49D2-B096-6B91AD0AA251.jpeg

I didn’t see any deer or other hunters today. Got to the trailhead this morning and two hikers pulled up as well. Grabbed my pack and rifle, told the hikers to have a great day and off I went. Ended up settling down overlooking a small clearing just below a junction with two canyons I had scouted earlier with lots of deer sign.

The blue jays and woodpeckers put on quite a show while I waited and a covey of quail made an appearance as well. After four hours of no other activity, I decided to make my way up towards the end of the canyon. I never saw any more wildlife but I did come across a hidden spring, remnants from Native Americans (grinding holes and pottery shards) and undocumented immigrants (discarded packs, cans, and cloth “slippers” used to disguise their footprints).

I hiked about 4.5 miles and even though I never saw any deer, it was still fun exploring San Diego’s backcountry.

View attachment 36622

View attachment 36623

View attachment 36624

View attachment 36625

View attachment 36627

View attachment 36629

View attachment 36626

Looks like a couple of shallow graves in the 4th picture...

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu