Anybody hunt Mt Laguna this year.

If you are in riverside county I would suggest D19. Start scouting now, we already have trail cams up. I hunt D19 and D16, most people who fill tags fall into 1 of 2 categories IMO. Category 1 are locals and/or landowners who fill tags every year, the other are people who burn the boot rubber necessary. Category 2 are the people who are out now scouting and putting in the time to find a honey hole or two. Once you get 2+ miles from any of the roads you eliminate 90% of the hunters out there. Check out Santa Rosa mountains area, plenty of deer get taken there.

Lagunas was great in the past. Now it's jam packed with hunters, hikers, cyclers, even anti hunters. But if u go, good luck.

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: NBK
Was up in Laguna today riding through. Saw a SUV full of scouters leaving. Guy @ the shop said he sees a lot right now. Aka...lot of hunters preppin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a ton of land in San Diego people really need to start looking. I litterally was surrounded by 1000's of acres of public land today scratching my head as to why guys have such a hard time finding areas to hunt. If you have a BLM map you can find D16 land almost instantly.

Question: is mt Laguna pretty much entirely bow only? I read up about the mt Laguna Rec area, but looking at a topo map and onx maps I'm having Trouble determining a boundary line in between where you can hunt rifle and where you cannot.

Question: is mt Laguna pretty much entirely bow only? I read up about the mt Laguna Rec area, but looking at a topo map and onx maps I'm having Trouble determining a boundary line in between where you can hunt rifle and where you cannot.

Just the Laguna Mtn Rec Area (LMRA) is archery only. Not sure if OnX would have it; get a CNF map and it will have the LMRA boundary. Lots of guys rifle hunt around the periphery of the LMRA boundary, so heads up.

Just the Laguna Mtn Rec Area (LMRA) is archery only. Not sure if OnX would have it; get a CNF map and it will have the LMRA boundary. Lots of guys rifle hunt around the periphery of the LMRA boundary, so heads up.

Is it this yellow line?
6b43bde85cee622052374050cb6f3dcf.jpg

Short answer is you can hunt w rifle outside the Rec area and outside state park. And of course off private land.

I hunt the Lagunas every year. I do encounter a lot of hunters but the number drastically declines the further you hike in. People are lazy. I hunt about one mile in from sunrise(no road access) and almost never see hunters in my area. Trail cams are the best scouting tools. Be sure to lock your stand up. I have had two stands stolen up there. Here's a few trail cam picks I have from summer.

.image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: sdbuckhunter
image.jpeg
I hunt the Lagunas every year. I do encounter a lot of hunters but the number drastically declines the further you hike in. People are lazy. I hunt about one mile in from sunrise(no road access) and almost never see hunters in my area. Trail cams are the best scouting tools. Be sure to lock your stand up. I have had two stands stolen up there. Here's a few trail cam picks I have from summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr. Green jeans will most likely fill his yearly quota there on opening day...lots of low hanging fruit...jus sayin...good luck kid.

.View attachment 28137

I'm cracking up reading all these guys talking about how Lagunas sucks there's no Deer to many people. My brother my cousin and myself see deer everytime we are up there scouting, Bucks does fawns all over. We've been hunting up there for years and have all been successful every year with some quality animals ending up on our walls. You have to be will hunt your ass off and those who have hunted up there for along time and been successful year in and year out know what I mean. Last year on opening day we saw 9 bucks with my brother taking one. If you really want a buck they are there just know it's not going to be easy but those hunts when lucky enough to take a buck are the most gratifying. Go prepared though! Good luck

Relax longbow hunter ,these clowns obviously aren't willing to hunt there ass off or put in the time so I'm not worried about it. Lol
Yes I under stand, but the deer there and the turkeys are being chased out by to many road hunters. and it's not good for them. stressing the wild life to much, I for see in the future Laguna becoming extinct with no hunting allowed. PM people PM yes help each other but don't give the goods away. it's all I am saying I have seen a change in 30 years. from very very good to bad. and it may get worse.

Reactions: sdbuckhunter

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu