anybody seen rattlers yet

Boyd

Sep 12, 2013
San Diego back country
Going to get my pup in for snake training soon.
Noticed lizards are coming out, but have not seen a snake yet. I figure snakes can't bee to far behind. Was working with pup off leash in the brush when it was cooler, might back off on that till after I get him snake trained. Up here at 4000 ft it has been mid eighties in the day and down to 38-40 at night.

I lie at the edge of the angeles national forrest on the dry river bed. its been 85+ and right now at 10;30PM its 65 out. on our daily 3 mile walk my dog alerted to 5 different rattlers the other day. YES they are out around here. it seams with the warm weather everything thinks its May and not February

Have not seen one yet this season, but a kid was bitten a couple weeks ago in the canyon near me. They are out...

I saw a king snake on Sunday in the CNF. So if they are out you know rattlers are out as well. It's been 90 degrees not much of a winter at all.

Haven't seen one yet, but IMO.....Our snakes here in SD Co. don't really hibernate.....I've seen Southern Pacific's in Dec, Jan, Feb., historically our coldest months.....I do believe their less active though, because they need less food.....They also start having their live young about now.

Just my observations.

ilovesprig said:
Haven't seen one yet, but IMO.....Our snakes here in SD Co. don't really hibernate.....I've seen Southern Pacific's in Dec, Jan, Feb., historically our coldest months.....I do believe their less active though, because they need less food.....They also start having their live young about now.

Just my observations.

I agree. I've had encounters in January/February as well. While out camping one time, it was probably in the 30's at night, and the next morning, a rattler started buzzing at us from over 30 feet away, in a crevice under a big rock. I was tramping through the brush and rocks on Monday, thinking the whole time "this is soooo STUPID, I'm gonna get bitten..."

{/quote} I was tramping through the brush and rocks on Monday, thinking the whole time "this is soooo STUPID, I'm gonna get bitten..."
[/quote]

I am all ways thinking the same thing. It's one of those things you have to all ways have in the back of your mind and be aware of but you have to get over if you want to hunt in our area. I do a lot of hunting in Yuma and they are every where down there. Like sprig said the babies are coming out now they are the ones that really make me uneasy with no rattles. Normally the big ones let you know they are there. I am all ways super careful where I put my hands when climbing rocks. They also love the roots of big trees so double check before you sit down for sure.

I'm at 3500' near lake Henshaw and I picked one up last week. As mild as this winter is turning out to be I'm not surprised to have found one. Because of our proximity to the ocean and mild weather its not unlikely to find them any time of year.

Talking to one of the boys today. He was just got hired by Escondido Fire Dept. (paramedic).....Got a call for a lady that got hit last week.

Fred,

You still doing snake avoidance classes up at High On Kennels?

Yep we're still doing snake aversion training, I'm traveling all over California these days doing the clinics. My calender should be up on The High On Kennels website shortly, we've got several around SD county this year as well as offering the training at our ranch if someone cares to come up. All my weekends are booked through June this year but if someone needs their dog trained PM me and we'll put something together or I can direct them to one of our local clinics. Its going to be a bad year for them with this mild weather we're having.

Snake training is the best thing you can do for your dog. The day after mine was trained he found one. How do I know? He jumped straight up and backwards about four feet. Didn't have to go look to see what caused that!

And get the vaccine........if the wind is wrong and your dog doesn't smell or hear it the vaccine can save your dog or buy you time.

One of my dogs will bay the damn things the snake actually stops rattling because of the nonstop barking......my other dog just backs up and won't leave my side until we pass it. My friends Stafford will keep the pack away and if you get within 10 yards damn dogs comes over and will bite you if you get too close

Snake Charmer said:
Yep we're still doing snake aversion training, I'm traveling all over California these days doing the clinics. My calender should be up on The High On Kennels website shortly, we've got several around SD county this year as well as offering the training at our ranch if someone cares to come up. All my weekends are booked through June this year but if someone needs their dog trained PM me and we'll put something together or I can direct them to one of our local clinics. Its going to be a bad year for them with this mild weather we're having.
Is one of your clinics at natural instincts? Think I'm probably going to get him in that one

9f3da0dc07f18f842304aa3c23c4e29c.jpg

Picked up a pair of Turtleskin gaiters yesterday at Iron Mtn Outfitters. I had some close calls the past year so I figured I'd stop playing Russian Roulette and get some protection. I haven't hiked in em yet but so far they feel light and comfortable although I know they'll be hot. But I'd rather have hot legs than be snakebitten miles away from help.

Attachments

• 9f3da0dc07f18f842304aa3c23c4e29c.jpg
    9f3da0dc07f18f842304aa3c23c4e29c.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 0
Turtleskins are good stuff I wear full length chaps when I'm hunting them because of some of the steep terrain I go through. There has been more than one instance where I have come face to face with them on a hillside.

Snake Charmer said:

Hey Fred when you coming to my neck of the woods

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu