Archery hunters allowed to carry firearms (WITH CCW)

Another question I have is: will hunters be required to have a ccw permit. If so, we are doomed. I spoke to a sheriff deputy and he told me that in case I approach him carrying a rifle or shotgun in the field, he knows I have a fire arm with me already, so carrying a hand gun as long as it is visible to him it is ok. The key here is the word “visible”. Carrying it concealed is a no no.
Open carry if no CCW.
None if deer archery.

IVhunter
Thanks for keeping us informed.

You can carry concealed when hunting. But you are not allowed to when hunting Archery Only... unless.. you have a CCW permit.. then... oddly.. you can. Also... if you have a CCW permit... you can carry that *protection* sidearm with ammo that contains lead. (Since it's not for *hunting*)

All of these are stupid because anybody with half a lick of sense when it comes to Biology/Physiology should be able to tell if an arrow wound was pre or post mortem. And if you're hunting on an Archery tag.. you better damn sure not have any bullet wholes in the critter... unless it was a pissed-off Bear that was wounded and charged at you... and you can best believe the evidence will show if that statement is true or not, if the person observing the evidence has half a clue in terms of science/physics/logic.

Reactions: YETI and Dawnandusk
Had a Green Jeans try to tell me that apparently dudes shoot a deer... then walk up and shove an arrow thru the wound in order to try to claim that they arrowed it first, then were being nice and doing a coup de grace.

Although I had to maintain my composure infront of his face... I couldn't believe he was saying this to me and would not be able to look at such a cicumstance and not be able to tell which came first in the order of time.

Sure seems to me if you understand about Biology and Physiology and Physics... it would be easy to determine if it was the case of somebody shooting first, then shoving an arrow thru later. The characteristics of the blood will give it away.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
Larry sorry brother, only peace officers can CCW. If deer hunting.
Citizens are not allowed to carry
Even if he or she has a CCW.
No offense my friend.
Until the change the reqs.
If he or she does not have a CCW
If my memory is correct. General season side arm is permissible.
Just make sure we all need to read
The reqs over and over.

It blows my mind, like if when you are bow hunting deer is not as dangerous as when you are bow hunting turkey.....The hunter that needs to finish a wunded deer can use another arrow, no need to finish that deer with a bullet, So if someone gets caught shooting at a deer in a archery only zone should be penalized. I wonder why the board thouhgt that it was ok one day but not the next.....

RE: Blows my mind.

Seriously though! For me it's like... Dude... I'm months away from turning 50, got a house, a kid, a mortgage that's still got a good number of years to go... and many groups of people that rely on me returning home safely and attending to my responsibilities!

It just defies logic and reasoning because if *I* am out-and-about trying ti kill one of these large prey items... than logically it stands to reason that there is a much higher-than-normal-likelihood of me running into another one of the multitude of creatures that ALSO is out-and-about trying their damndest to make it to the next day by killing one of these larger creatures. A significantly higher chance than just your average ordinary out-for-a-hike person, since we do everything the OPPOSITE of the way the suggest that hikers should do it. We PURPOSEFULLY try to be quiet, blend-in, surprise the animals, etc.

I dunno... I mean heck... ok, let's say your big concern is that you don't want people being dishonest and shooting the animal with a firearm and then poking it with the arrow to try to pass it off as you actually took it with a bow. First of all.. Come the Freak ON!!... the wounding is drastically different between Arrows and bullets. But alright... cool... whatever... people are shady... I get that and everything, but it sure seems to me there are some other in-between choices you *could* allow.

A for instance might be.... maybe you have a limit on barrel length and caliber they are allowed to carry as a sidearm? (Yeah, I know, stupid and kinda misses the whole point of being able to defend yourself, but I mean it's better than nothing, right?) You figure there is a REASON the regs have the minimum 4" barrel length mandate when it comes to taking of game with a pistol, right? So what if you said that if it's a sidearm for defensive purposes... that like... it has to be 3" and under or something? I mean, for goodness sakes, they are not magical death ray guns that emit a particle cannon that's laserbeam straight reaching out to infinity into the universe when they are fired, ya know?

I vote no to fireaams with a archery only tag. I hunt in and close to the most mountain lion infested areas of SoCal. Other then trail cam pics I have never seen or had a problem while hunting. I spend a good amount of time in the dark on the same trails as the cats. Some times I get images on my phone with in minutes of being on the same spot where a cat walked by. They know your coming, they know your there, and they will get out of your way.
The only way to get a shot off in that fight is to walk with your pistol drawn, and hammer pulled back, no thanks!!! If you have the chance to ID him, draw you pistol, aim and fire then you were not being attacked and could have ran him off with intimidation tactics. Stay home if You are scared.
I know, just my opinion.

In Arizona were it's open carry.
There was fellas all over carring.
No one got hurt, no one got shot, in fact the little town I was visiting there was zero crime.
Don't want guns go to Chicago, LA, or other gun free zones.
Don't infringe on my second amendment.
Because your scared..

Those guys in Arizona are nuts ive heard, have no idea how to be sucessful hunters and are panzys..now Ca....those dudes are the real deal!!

Reactions: longbowhunter2
In Arizona were it's open carry.
There was fellas all over carring.
No one got hurt, no one got shot, in fact the little town I was visiting there was zero crime.
Don't want guns go to Chicago, LA, or other gun free zones.
Don't infringe on my second amendment.
Because your scared..
Your second amendment rights and commonsense hunting regulations have nothing to do with each other. And just curious ,if you could carry A side arm while archery only hunting what would be your Hand gun of choice and what scope would you put on it?

Reactions: stikbrandon

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu