Awesome day!

Vermonster

Dec 14, 2012
I can't explain how awesome of a day I had yesterday. My almost 9 year old took his hunters safety 2 months ago, and with good behavior, was allowed to go on his first ever hunt. Now, I have been hunting turkey for 7-8 years since moving out here, and never got one. One of his goals was to "get one before Dad". Well, a buddy who has had some success here wanted to help us out, so we met up on public land where he had seen a single gobbler strutting a week ago. Let me say that I had been really hopeful that it would go well, at least until attending the Seminar Thursday and hearing from Steve how bad the population was right now. Well, that proved true as we saw no birds or could hear not a single sound I. Our first spot. Finally decided to take a drive to see if we could locate and, and saw one single hen in 45 minutes.

So we took a drive in another area, and after seeing 7-8 hunters along the road and zero birds, we were just leaving the area when we rounded a corner and a big black bird flew across the road in front of us down into a draw. We jumped out, couldn't see it, and were about to leave when it gobbled down in the bottom. We immediately went around to the opposite ridge, where we figured it would try to go up and over towards private property. Well, after an hour, one circling around and seeing us, trotting off, and returning again, it finally came up where it should have. Stopped about 5 yards short of being open and strutted then head went straight up. Pretty sure he saw us, started to turn, but still through a little brush. My little guy says he saw an opening through the brush, and fired. Dropped on the spot, rolling down the hill, flapping feathers everywhere. I grabbed the gun, told him to run and step on his head. My buddy and son went flying down, my son jumping on the turkey.

Lots of hugs and high fives, never been so excited. And it was a great bird, which if it wasn't for my excitement, and haste to get home and prepared, probably should have had officially weighed and measured. It has to be at 20+ lbs! has spurs at 1 1/4 " each, and get this, a 10 1/2 " beard. If it's even just 20 even, and my calculations are correct, that would put it right around 45-50 for score in California in the NWTF books. Unreal. Told him he got spoiled good, and a normal hunter like me would rarely ever get a bird like that, especially on public land.

Anyway, here are a couple shots. Mom is leery about his face on the internet at so young an age, so it's a shot that will give a good judge of size. My son is a little taller than average, and it hangs pretty good. Not sure how to post photos anyway, but I'll try to attach them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    957.4 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    978.1 KB · Views: 31
Awesome is Right, Good job brother,

looks like onXmap worked out for you....

This is an outstanding story! Nice job Vermonster! One for the memory banks.

Great job! I'm almost certain that's the same bird my son almost had a shot at. He was a gobbling fool all morning. Big congrats!

Sean,

That is totally awesome.......I love the feeling and I'm sure you were every bit as excited as your boy........Love it...... 8)

Sean you were so excited I thought you shot it when we talked. Way to stick with it!

Thanks everyone! Still high as a kite, and I have almost run the battery out on my phone the last 2 days with everyone my son wants me to show the photos to...... ;D

Just wanted to show one more shot, so you can see the smile, which is what it's all about. As I said in the first post, my wife would like to keep it low-key on the internet, especially with the unscrupulous characters out there today taking photos and photo-shopping them, so I have made an alteration to protect the innocent,....... ;) When he gets older I think the restrictions will loosen a little......

Thanks again for letting a happy Dad, who has never shot a turkey, live vicariously through his 8 year old.......

Oh, and I finally got a weight, and it was right about 19 pounds, 30 hours after sitting in the refrigerator.......

Attachments

• Ryan Turkey 1.jpg
    Ryan Turkey 1.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 26

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu