AZ OTC

aeverett152

Oct 4, 2020
Murrieta
Happy Friday everyone... General question for anyone that has experience with AZ OTC deer hunts. I have never done any of these hunts and I know that they have unfortunately become super popularized and promoted by social media, and youtube hunters. I have heard at one point before their popularity that these were awesome hunts. AZdfg has put a cap on the harvests (I believe it was last year) due to drought conditions but with this past winter obviously has changed such conditions...

Are these AZ OTC hunts still worth it? Or is it a complete zoo in the OTC units these days?

What type of hunts are you into? I'll take a 10% success hunt all day long. I love going out there and hunt them every year.

It will be a tough hunt and you will have to compete with other guys.

At this point I am pretty much used to tough hunting and putting 5+ miles on foot. 10% is better odds than some of these units here in socal. I specifically dont know anyone personally who has done one of these OTC hunts which is why I am asking on here. I typically do most of my hunting M-F to avoid weekend crowds. Just wondering if anyone has personally seen the pressure/crowds increased from these hunts due to the social media/youtube promoting of these hunts.

It's gonna disappear real soon... Ed F
This is the truth. It is going to be almost impossible to draw a MD tag anywhere in the west in the next 10 years. The deer are declining and the hunters/applications are growing. Take what you can get when you can get it.

Reactions: aeverett152
Lots of tags in A zone, why is it hunters seem to avoid CA, OR, and WA? Different Species?
CA is one of the worst managed in the country. They took the approach of give out a ton of tags and extend the seasons. Yes you can get tags here but the hunting is not going to be great. Great example is D16 has a 1 month season with 3,000 buck tags. While it's nice to always draw this could be managed much better.

Just seams like if AZ, NV, UT, ID, CO put up a depred permit for a unjt with lower hunter success than d16 the website would crash with hunters trying to get it. A zone has 30% success and tens of thousands of tags left and crickets.

CA is one of the worst managed in the country. They took the approach of give out a ton of tags and extend the seasons. Yes you can get tags here but the hunting is not going to be great. Great example is D16 has a 1 month season with 3,000 buck tags. While it's nice to always draw this could be managed much better.
I'd rather not be able to draw for several years but have a quality hunting experience when I do :D

Just seams like if AZ, NV, UT, ID, CO put up a depred permit for a unjt with lower hunter success than d16 the website would crash with hunters trying to get it. A zone has 30% success and tens of thousands of tags left and crickets.
I have hunted A zone twice in two different years, in two different areas. The second hunt I was in a completely remote area. All I saw was possible illegal growers or poachers, and a spike.

The success rates are now estimated even though you must report.

33,000 d3-5 tags

As Hatch says, its meant to hurt.

"Designed " to hurt..but you are correct Ambush....65,000 A ZONE. Tags...I can't believe they never sell out?? Ahh Calistan....some smart biologists there.. But to be real... guaranteed most don't hunt ....... Pathetic and disturbing

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu