AZ OTC

"Designed " to hurt..but you are correct Ambush....65,000 A ZONE. Tags...I can't believe they never sell out?? Ahh Calistan....some smart biologists there.. But to be real... guaranteed most don't hunt ....... Pathetic and disturbing
65000 tags allotted, how many will actually be issued, less than 50%?

Just can't understand why they don't run out? A ZONE is the sizzle..

Reactions: aeverett152
Happy Friday everyone... General question for anyone that has experience with AZ OTC deer hunts. I have never done any of these hunts and I know that they have unfortunately become super popularized and promoted by social media, and youtube hunters. I have heard at one point before their popularity that these were awesome hunts. AZdfg has put a cap on the harvests (I believe it was last year) due to drought conditions but with this past winter obviously has changed such conditions...

Are these AZ OTC hunts still worth it? Or is it a complete zoo in the OTC units these days?
I get a OTC tag for archery every year. I think it’s worth because trying to draw a rifle tag is starting to become Impossible. The hole shutting down units for the harvest quota is kinda crappy but I understand.

I just hate to keep giving up stuff we know we'll never get back. Do we know how many second deer tags are filled every year?

More guzzlers or drinkers would be pretty win/win.

2 deer tags is not the problem IMO. Its the ridiculous tag numbers for the sake of "Opportunity" a very crappy Opportunity. Thus the inflated estimated success numbers.

2 deer tags is not the problem IMO. Its the ridiculous tag numbers for the sake of "Opportunity" a very crappy Opportunity. Thus the inflated estimated success numbers.
Well that’s the thing if you only had one tag available they should in return not be able to sell so many tags because most people purchase two tags so therefore the tag quota would in a round about way be reduced by lack of sales, as well as allow others to receive the tags they truly would like to go for, and honestly probably open up some second choice opportunities as well.

Like it or not, electronic communication is here to stay. The new iPhone is part sat phone and technology is only speeding up. Good luck regulating people's phones...

Last edited:
Like it or not, electronic communication is here to stay. The new iPhone is part sat phone and technology is only speeding up. Good luck regulating people's phones...
Wrong... I'll be outlawed in the upcoming years. Cheaters will always cheat. Half the spot and stalk deer in Arizona wouldn't be taken without electronic communication. Some don't know any orher way to get it done. There's no way on earth that using this is Fair Chase... Ed F

Reactions: TRICER and skeet
I'll state my point more clearly. I am not saying it's fair chase, that they won't outlaw it, or that it doesn't improve success. What I am saying is that when cell phones have 100% coverage literally everywhere there will be mass adoption and TONS of hunters will use it to kill animals, even if it's illegal. Laws preventing it will be about as effective as a law stopping people from rolling stop signs.

I think were better off focusing on things everyone can get behind like improving habitat, water sources and similar things *all* hunters can get behind.

Reactions: baboltin
Just like what they did with cameras.... since the ban I have been out in the woods 100+ days and haven't seen a camera. The line has to be drawn in the sand. Opportunities will continue to deminish with higher success rates. Arizona is a huge outfitter state. I'd bet that close to 100% use electronic communication. With it being illegal most would not risk their livelyhood... clients would not pay for an illegal hunt and report them. As for the rest... cheaters will be cheaters. It's coming, I promise... Ed F

I hate cheaters
..and I agree...any reputable outfitter/guide ..would not risk there livelihood for sure...your never to far away from the long arm of the law ...

I think we're more on the same side of this issue than not. The efficacy and second-order effects of such a ban are what I question. As mentioned, we all agree it will hit the outfitters and law-abiding the hardest.

I question the efficacy because it's such an easy/concealable crime to commit. Why does everyone speed? Because you are already driving and the barrier of entry is so low to commit that crime. Every hunter also has a cell phone in their pocket, a low barrier of entry to commit a crime there as well.

Anyways, I'd really like to see updated regulations on "limited weapons" as well. 700-yard muzzleloaders are a thing. Guys are wounding/killing animals at 100+ with archery. Crazy. Idaho does it right IMO.

Well that’s the thing if you only had one tag available they should in return not be able to sell so many tags because most people purchase two tags so therefore the tag quota would in a round about way be reduced by lack of sales, as well as allow others to receive the tags they truly would like to go for, and honestly probably open up some second choice opportunities as well.

I didn't realize most hunters buy a second deer tag. Do you know what % and what number harvest?

You can have 2 tags... but can legally only harvest 1 deer per year... but, here we go again, I'd bet many kill 2.

You can buy an otc archery tag at anytime during the year (only residents now) and then draw a tag. I doubt F&G has stats on this... but as of last year otc hunters are required to report... rifle hunters do not have to report. Stupid to allow this. Ed F

Reactions: 180ls1

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu