Back to Dove Hunting

jfrog

Aug 23, 2017
Hey all, I'm new to the forum and am just getting back into Dove hunting since High School. I live in Central California and am looking for some hunting buddies and places to hunt!

Froggy,

Welcome to SCH.....It's been a long time, but years ago I had some pretty good shoots in the Lake Success & the south end of Lake Isabella areas.....Good luck

Thanks, ilovesprig!

I've heard some pretty good things about those areas including Pine Flat Lake, Eastman Lake and Hensley Lake. I'll probably start with Lake Success since it's closest. I just recently found out that much of the lands around the local lakes is either Forest, BLM or Army Corp of Engineer. I didn't even know that land is legal to hunt on.

get your 0nxmap app for your phone, which details all the private, public,blm,national forest, and others

.fullsizeoutput_af.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are some nice birds!
Yeah, I actually got the Onxmap app about a month ago. What a great resource! Because of that app I'm finding a ton of land open to public hunting that I didn't even know existed. I just haven't had a chance to go and check any of it out yet.
Is it true that all national forest and BLM land is open to hunting no question?

"Is it true that all national forest and BLM land is open to hunting no question?"

Pretty much.....There can be closures for fire and rain (roads), but for the most part, they're always open.....Almost all CNF lands now require you must be in legal pursuit of game.....In other words, hunting.

ps.....Laws like being a 150 yds from occupied dwelling, out buildings, barns, etc. still apply to private property within the national forest or BLM.

Sounds good.
I read up on the 150 yard rule. I'm glad for that one!
Also, I suppose the rule that you must be in pursuit of game makes sure people aren't trying to take up residence on those lands.

It is my understanding that language "in pursuit of game " was added to eliminate the problem with target shooters taking stuff up to locations like Kitchen Creek (CNF) shooting it and leaving all the debris behind. Those Onxmap app looks great. I still use old school paper maps but I am not so good with the technology. I have a smart phone, but it has a dumb operator.

Keeping target shooters out makes more sense. How sad it is to know that people would take trash up to such beautiful areas just to blow it up and leave it.

"Is it true that all national forest and BLM land is open to hunting no question?"

Pretty much.....There can be closures for fire and rain (roads), but for the most part, they're always open.....Almost all CNF lands now require you must be in legal pursuit of game.....In other words, hunting.

ps.....Laws like being a 150 yds from occupied dwelling, out buildings, barns, etc. still apply to private property within the national forest or BLM.

OK so this one gets me confused. What is your take. Road says private and is locked with a gate. Cattle fence around it. But... On x says its public. Is it worth the risk.

OK so this one gets me confused. What is your take. Road says private and is locked with a gate. Cattle fence around it. But... On x says its public. Is it worth the risk.

Lands get sold and leased all the time. I recently asked a warden about this exact issue he said call him and he will come out to see if it legit. If it is not legit he will get it sorted out. But in the mean time do not cross obvious stuff like this. So get a hold of a local warden and ask.

Oh man, I'm glad you brought this up. I guess when in doubt call the warden!

Oh man, I'm glad you brought this up. I guess when in doubt call the warden!
Trust me. When you call the warden on real questions like this, you end up with good information in return (it's like you are giving the warden some info and they give you other info in return - like a different access point).

Reactions: Stump7100

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu