Band-tail Pigeons

SteveHazard

Oct 24, 2018
Anybody know much about the habits of these big pigeons? Over the weekend I was up higher in the pines. I sat down to rest and listen and noticed that band-tails were periodically coming and going from a group of about 4-5 dead or partial dead pines. As I tried to ninja myself closer the bulk of them flew out, about 50-60 of them.

Are they likely to come back and roost in the same certain spots? What are they eating? Nuts out of the pinecones? I noticed the season isn't open till the end of December so I'm skeptical if they'll still be up there then or if I'll want to go up there then as there could be snow then. Who's gotten any before? They look larger then normal pigeons.

I saw a bunch, about 50 or so flying circles above a saddle about 7000 feet in the Angeles Nat forest about a week ago . Where I go to hunt them , they seem to be in the same areas from year to year , and for long periods of time . I have also hunted them with snow on the ground .

Band-tails are considered a migratory game bird...They do live locally here in SoCal...Although, the majority come from Oregon & Washington...They eats acorns, pine nuts, and most any seed that is provided by homeowners.

Historically, they migrate to the same places each year with some variance with food sources...Most these locations are within a 150 miles of the coast...Paso Robles, Ventura, Frazier Park, Mt. Pinos, Pasadena, Big Bear, Mt Baldy, Ortega Hwy, and most all of San Diego Co. are some of the most common locations.

The limit at one time was 7...Then went to 4...Then to the current 2...Large die offs started in the 70's (avian cholera) and despite some really good production years...The limit has stayed at 2...5 years ago here in San Diego they were everywhere by the 100's...Then the following year, they were dead by the 100's in the Pasadena area...Last year was just so so at best...I have not seen a lot this year so far, but I do believe it has to do with the great acorn production we've had county wide.

They are one of coolest birds to hunt and wing shooting for them is one of the more challenging.

ps...Shot a banded band-tail near Upper San Juan Campground off of Ortega Hwy...Banded at Mt. Baldy.

.IMG_9984.JPGIMG_9896.JPG

Last edited:
I too was wondering about them...I saw a lot of birds a couple of weeks ago when I was scouting for bears... They would fly away and kind of circle back to the same trees a few minutes later.

Seems like a lot of driving to go get 2 birds...I may have to combine the hunt with something else...Camping out for the weekend seems like a good plan to increase the numbers of bird coming back home.

'Sprig... I absolutely LOVE how your dog has blood on his face in that pic! And is all happy and smiling looking.

Love bandtail hunting. The last decade or so a parasite has been decimating them, which gives them growths in their throat to where they're unable to swallow food (especially acorns) or water. Nasty stuff.. hope they can recover.

At our cabin in Big Bear there's been a crap ton of bandtails hanging around. National Forest land is walking distance away but not sure I can shoot there. Time to research the regs..

What's the common tactic for hunting them? From what I saw of them over the weekend I would of had a chance passing shot as a flock flew over. Or as they come or leave from the trees. I would see them everyday I was up a my mother's Tahoe home (something next door they seem to like) summer and winter but NV doesn't have any sort of season for them.

What's the common tactic for hunting them? From what I saw of them over the weekend I would of had a chance passing shot as a flock flew over. Or as they come or leave from the trees. I would see them everyday I was up a my mother's Tahoe home (something next door they seem to like) summer and winter but NV doesn't have any sort of season for them.
Similar to dove hunting but without the decoys and a lot more trees. First find out if they're in a given area (higher altitude pine and oak forests), get an idea of their flight paths, then it's all pass shooting from there. They'll appear out of nowhere and often give you no shooting opps as they zip between and behind the trees. Or they'll be 100 yards up. Fun stuff but such a crap shoot.

Well I tried.

About 10 days before the opener I randomly found a spot super close that had several dozen roosting in a little canyon off a very very steep hill. Went up there on opener and there was nothing, may of gone up there a little too late in the day or looked like a platoon of people just went though the area and maybe they got scared off. Got a dove on the way down and came across something recently buried in a strange spot... little suspicious to be honest but probably a pet, that's what I'm telling myself anyway. Tried to go up again and turned around because there was snow and it was too dangerous to try and get there. Every single other place I had seen them was farther away and even higher in elevation so the snow and distance would be even worse. One randomly flew over while quail hunting but I didn't see it in time to get the better shot, took a poke at it anyway but nope.

Reactions: ilovesprig
the early snowstorms tend to chase them down to lower elevations. We’ve had probably 22” of snow in December on Palomar so far which has kept the production down

Alright decided to give it one more go and hiked up to the same spot and the third attempt was a success.

Came down from the top side with my daughter this time, still some snow but it wasn't dangerous like the other day had been. Lot of trees fell down from the recent storm. Got to the area I thought they would be an initially didn't see any. Hiked a little past to show my daughter how crazy steep and dangerous part of the trail gets (just showed her, didn't go past that part). Then I saw a group of about a dozen fly in and land in the trees across the canyon. Trying to spot exactly where they were they flew out over the canyon again then circled back and set down in a tree almost directly above us. So I creeped up to where I could get a shot and took aim at one on the branch. This was actually a very uncomfortable shot to take because I was bending over backwards to point my gun up that high and the edge of the trail was a very long way down behind. But this I thought would be my best shot for getting and recovering anything.

I take the shot and that is my limit as I get the one I was aiming at and the one right next to it. The one falls down and rolls down the hill right on or by the trail where I can grab it. The other is head shot and flapping around as it is rolling down the trail toward my daughter. I tell her to get it and not let it roll off the trail and farther down the hill. Doesn't happen and the bird rolls another several 100 feet down the very steep hillside. Fortunately it came to a rest before going all the way down and while difficult I was able to go down and get it. Ground being soft helped a lot.
First Bandtails for me. Glad I was able to make it happen this season.

Great hunt, great birds, and AWESOME outfit. Thanks for sharing all of it.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu