Band-tailed Pigeon Report?

J

Josh Pearson

Just curious if anyone has any info regarding the current health of the local San Diego Band-tailed pigeon population? The last two seasons were pretty bad due to a die-off. Wondering if they have made a rebound or if the numbers are still down?

I've been wondering the same, although during deer season I had a flock of 40+ fly over in a spot I've never seen them before. They've been suffering from that parasite where they grow massive lesions in their throat which prevents them from eating.. let's hope they recover. It's been a couple seasons since I've had a good shoot.0e348f7f6a1956412434bfec5b1f6c7e.jpg

Up in D 11 and 13 I’ve seen like triple the amount maybe even more.They were flying around in flocks of 40 or more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have seen a lot but most of them require a freaking hike and a half to get to. During deer season in a certain area I could have limited every time.

Reactions: steveo007
Scouted this morning in the Palomar Mt area.....Saw a grand total of 4 single pigeons.....The mountain is loaded with acorns too.....Not expecting much tomorrow morning, but you never know.....;)

That’s great to hear! Wish I could be out with the bands but I’m down with the flu. I’ll rebound before the end of the season and will hopefully get into the tail action. Love those pigeons.

156DEE40-9722-4D06-AFEC-6598D89CC0FF.jpeg 23DD0FC1-7500-4871-9BCE-0EC45C09B698.jpeg Me and all three boys left the house around 1 to try and get an afternoon shoot. Went way up got to the spot 2 BT flew off grabbed the guns. After that we didn’t even see a dove. Spotted 5 doe, 1 spike, 1 bobcat, and 5 coyote. All in all great time with my favorite hunting partners and bird dog.

Yep. They are still around. We got a few on Monday before heading to work. Way less people.

John

bb93f6b96380c5fbff7b8326dd0e33da.jpg

After striking out last weekend, I tried again at a different spot today. Only had one flyover of about 5 bandtails and was able to drop one. Then a nice surprise on my way back to the truck -- a small covey of mountain quail flushed and I dropped one of those too. Didn't get my pigeon limit but I'll be happy with these guys on the grill.

Reactions: TRICER
Great going, Jason.......Mt. quail are the king of quail IMO.

From Palomar Mt.....Last week-end (Lee works for CNF & should know where they're at.....lol)

.002.JPG

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu