Banded Doves

TJD123

Jun 3, 2013
My group killed 4 banded doves on the opener. One of them was banded 6 years ago!

Are banded doves more common than banded ducks? Or did we just get lucky as hell?

.58904409282__63D03F65-125E-49EB-ACDA-43C3B10E4B47.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jth
i did some quick calculations and with 10k doves killed by me in 40 years i have zero bands..... multiply that by all the guys i hunt with and its billions of doves and zero bands

Congrats...1st banded bird I ever shot was a banded dove in Blythe...Got a 2nd one in Rancho Bernardo...Banded on the Miramar air station...John Howard had a banding program in SD County.

ps...Lots of banding done for years on or near Wister.

.IMG_20150816_0001.jpg

Last edited:
Two years ago I shot a banded dove near Niland and it was banded near Niland a month earlier. That was the first band my dad has seen in all his years of hunting. I’d say they’re just as rare as banded ducks.

I got one by Wister last year... It had been banded in the same area that year. 6 years is wild though!

My group killed 4 banded doves on the opener. One of them was banded 6 years ago!

Are banded doves more common than banded ducks? Or did we just get lucky as hell?

.View attachment 40805
Very cool. My friends and I have shot thousands of dove and never seen a banded dove. I didn’t even know that they banded them..

Congrats! Our group has killed 3 banded doves in the last 6 years or so!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu