Barrett Lake 2021

Does any one use, or has tried, a rod and reel for retrieval in the deeper water?
lol we thought about trying g that last year. we had to use rocks to make waves to get the bird to shore. that took a long time. won’t be doing that again i hope

lol we thought about trying g that last year. we had to use rocks to make waves to get the bird to shore. that took a long time. won’t be doing that again i hope
Before I had my dog , and he just turned 8 , when I hunted Wister near a reservoir I always had a 2 piece spinning rod with a large top water plug . Never considered it fishing but guess Mr Greenjeans could . Didn’t want to wantonly waste a downed bird . Glad I don’t have to do that anymore . Oldquack 49

Reactions: Hunterfisher
Barrett lake is really a worthless hunt. If you enjoy chasing ruddy ducks and ringers around with a boat more power to you. Very little opportunity for legitimate duck hunting.

The biggest issue with Barrett Lake is a lack of consistent, easy to interpret access information.

Registration: For starters the registration information available on the website is a good start, but this is the second year in a row where I had to poach the City for registration information. I received 2021-2022 season information weeks before the pdf was updated on the city web page.

Keep it simple: Contact Valerie Hicks at [email protected] with any questions or to put in a reservation for a blind at Barrett Lake throughout the season.

Access the Lake:
The second part is just how difficult it is to find access information about the Lake. The blind map is still a scanned copy of a hand drawn map given out when you arrive. This season I will be producing a new map and will offer it to the City for free to distribute to folks. I attached 1 of 3 drafts to this post.

What to expect: There is no cell service at the lake. Show up on time at the gate. The road to the lake is an unpaved, graded road. 4x4 is encouraged. Once you arrive expect to find good helpful people, a kid friendly atmosphere, a fun and social lottery, and a good hunt.

This thread is a great resource for assistance with hunting access at Barrett Lake. I have an old school hunters mind where sharing info on spots is taboo. That said, I will happily share and encourage folks if it means keeping Barrett Lake open as a waterfowl hunting opportunity.

Attachments

• Barrett Lake - Hunting Zones - External.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:
i think we had a guy on here that loved his ruddy ducks.......

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
Hunted Barrett last Saturday, was my first “real” duck hunt and had a great time! Need to work on my calling/decoy setup and building a more concealed blind but we ended up getting a few ruddies. Quite a few species flew through just need to work on better shooting and calling them in closer. You should come on out!

Hunted Barrett last Saturday, was my first “real” duck hunt and had a great time! Need to work on my calling/decoy setup and building a more concealed blind but we ended up getting a few ruddies. Quite a few species flew through just need to work on better shooting and calling them in closer. You should come on out!

Cool. Sent you a message.....

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu