Barrett Lake 2021

Waterfowl Hunting at Barrett Reservoir​

Young hunter displaying waterfowl caught at reservoir lake

Reservations and Fees​

Reservations for waterfowl hunting at Barrett Reservoir are sold in advance via a lottery draw method in October. PDF icon Additional information and details about the lottery draw is posted online each September. Lottery draw is in-person only. Reservations are issued only to persons 16 years of age or older, and in possession of a current state of California Hunting License. Thereafter, in-person reservations may be made at the City of San Diego's Reservoirs and Recreation Program office, San Vicente Substation, 12375 Moreno Ave., Lakeside, CA 92040-1135. In-person sales after the lottery are by appointment only, please call 619-668-2050 at least 24 hours beforehand.
Lottery method is by numbered poker chips. Numbered poker chips are placed in a large container and everyone present draws one chip. Once everyone has a chip, hunters line up by the order of the number on their chip. Everyone going through the first time is limited in the number of dates they can select; this limit varies by season and the number of blinds available. Once everyone has gone through once, everyone is permitted to go through a second time (same order) and purchase as many dates as they wish.

The fee for each reservation is $40 and covers the cost of the hunting area and rental rowboat. Hunters are encouraged to bring outboard motors up to 20 horsepower. Rental motors are also available for $29.50 on the day of the hunt. Hunting trespass permits are $20 each for adults and $10 each for children 8 to 15 years of age, however, if reservations are made at least one day in advance the $40 reservation fee will also cover the hunting trespass fees listed above. Hunters must obtain a state license before they'll be allowed to hunt on City property.
If you are attempting to walk-on without a permit you need to report to the gate no later than 2.5 hours before sunrise, only cash and checks will be accepted. A walk-on is showing up at the scheduled meeting time (two and half hours before sunrise) without a pre-paid permit and hoping for a no-show or that the day did not sell out. Most week days have available openings for this option.
No refund for confirmed reservations will be made under any circumstances. For further information, call 619-668-2050 or email [email protected].
All additional information will be available only on the day of the lottery such as maps, reservation forms and time sheets. Staff will be available 30 minutes prior to the draw to answer questions.

Rules and Regulations​

Reservation holders must report to the Barrett Reservoir gate on Lyons Valley Road at least two and a half hours before sunrise as staff leaves the gate to go to the reservoir at exactly two hours before sunrise. Legal shooting begins one-half hour before sunrise. After 9 a.m., hunters may engage in boat hunting but will not be permitted within 100 yards of other hunters or the boat dock. All hunters must return to the dock by 11:30 a.m. and be off the premises by noon.
Barrett Reservoir is divided into hunting areas, i.e. a section of shoreline numerically identified with shoreline limits indicated by numbered sign posts. The location of each area is selected on the basis of safety and hunting efficiency.
Each individual reservation entitles the holder (and up to two guests) to the use of one hunting area. No more than one hunting area per day will be assigned to an individual. The specific hunting area assigned per hunter or hunting group is determined only on the morning of the hunt by lottery system. Within each hunting area, there may be some amount of natural shoreline brush and cover which can be fashioned into a blind by the hunting group. Hunters may bring a portable blind and install it within their hunting area.
Dogs will be allowed for retrieval of downed waterfowl. Dogs must have a current, valid license and be kept on a leash while in the dock and parking lot areas.
Hunting is limited exclusively to waterfowl game species (ducks, geese and coots/gallinules) and common snipe. Hunting of any other bird or mammal, whether a game or non-game species, is not permitted. Target shooting, fishing and fishing tackle are prohibited.
All rules pertaining to the City of San Diego, as well as state and federal hunting regulations, must be observed.
Season dates and bag limits are established annually by the California Department of Fish and Wildlife within framework established by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. For all questions regarding seasons, rules, regulations and hunting areas, please see the California Department of Fish and Wildlife website.

The chance at ringnecks is enticing, but I like San J too much to leave! I’d buy the house behind the check station if I could!

Another benefit of keeping the the Barrett Lake waterfowl program going is the Lake Sutherland turkey hunting program...The City of San Diego officials have tried closing this program and fishing down once already...The excuse was Covid...Now, it's budget cuts...We have already been informed that the spring turkey hunting cost will double this year (from $10.00 to $20.00).

The political atmosphere in San Diego is not in our favor...Just like our turkeys, if we ever lose these programs, we'll never get them back,

ps...If you live in county supervisor Jim Desmond's or Joel Anderson's district, please support them....They are our allies.

.sutherland work party 2021.JPG

I'm definitely interested in trying to get a reservation for Barrett.

Oh and seeing the reflection of our headlamps on that Bloomdale sign at Sutherland was a welcomed sight after navigating the boat in the dark.

Never been waterfowl hunting, but my sons (15, 13, and 9) and I talk about it all the time. We have no gear and no trained dog, but would love to learn from someone that does!

Never been waterfowl hunting, but my sons (15, 13, and 9) and I talk about it all the time. We have no gear and no trained dog, but would love to learn from someone that does!

RKE,

There are plenty of guys on this site that are willing to help you & your boys out...Start with putting in for the reservations at Wister and San Jacinto (CDFW website)...As far as gear go's...Most any camo will work...You'll eventually need waders, steel duck loads, and blind bucket or bag...Start learning your ducks (city parks are a great place to go) and read the regulations backwards and forwards...It can be fun with the kids.

Don't worry about decoys...There's plenty around that guys will lend, give, or sell to you...Lastly, ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS...There's no such thing as a dumb one.

ps...Google will be your friend.

Matt,

You ARE the ruddy king of Barrett......Questions about hunting there these days should be directed at you.... :blush:
Yes sir ready for anyone’s questions! Although I did not hunt it last year as they did not rent motors and I am too old to row!

Barret is a great place to start!

Glad to see all the interest in Barrett. Once you learn the registration process its really a simple and fun hunt.... whereas San J and Wister are wading hunts, Barrett is generally a very deep lake accessible by boat. I have decoys specifically rigged for Barrett with 25' lines! There are no structured blinds, just stretches of shoreline for you to set up your own cover. With these conditions hunting techniques are very different that most waterfowl hunting in SoCal.

As far as the hunting experience, since this is surrounded by open space you'll see and hear quail, bobcats, raptors, eagles (sometimes), etc. No offense to the Wister, San J areas (love those as well), but Barrett is much easier on the eyes.

Regarding advocating for Barrett, I want to compliment those hunters that spoke in support of restoring the hunting program to the City budget in 2020. Without speaking during the budget hearings, the City was going to drop the program in 2020 and it would not have returned. We need to continue to call in support during the budget hearings each year.

Glad to see all the interest in Barrett. Once you learn the registration process its really a simple and fun hunt.... whereas San J and Wister are wading hunts, Barrett is generally a very deep lake accessible by boat. I have decoys specifically rigged for Barrett with 25' lines! There are no structured blinds, just stretches of shoreline for you to set up your own cover. With these conditions hunting techniques are very different that most waterfowl hunting in SoCal.

As far as the hunting experience, since this is surrounded by open space you'll see and hear quail, bobcats, raptors, eagles (sometimes), etc. No offense to the Wister, San J areas (love those as well), but Barrett is much easier on the eyes.

Regarding advocating for Barrett, I want to compliment those hunters that spoke in support of restoring the hunting program to the City budget in 2020. Without speaking during the budget hearings, the City was going to drop the program in 2020 and it would not have returned. We need to continue to call in support during the budget hearings each year.
My dekes are definitely not rigged with 25' of line! Yep, Barrett is a pretty scene.. first and only place so far in SD county I've seen a bald eagle. #merica

do you need a dog to retrieve your birds at barrett or would waders do? i would get a blind for sure but dont have a dog to retrieve. went duck hunting last year for the first time and even though we just were jump shooting them it was a lot of fun and tasty as hell. i wanna try doing it the right way this year

My dekes are definitely not rigged with 25' of line! Yep, Barrett is a pretty scene.. first and only place so far in SD county I've seen a bald eagle. #merica
Had 2 flying above our heads non stop over at Lake Sutherland..they are majestic and cool to see at first then they get a little annoying when they're the only ones responding to your Turkey calls all day..lol hit me up if you need a blind buddy if you decide to give Barrett a shot..maybe we can combine our decoy lines to reach the bottom lol

I'm also curious to the above question as well about retrieving without a dog..? I'm in the same boat as you @Hunterfisher. Last year was my first season waterfowling and only experience is wading in the Wister and San J muck..

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
do you need a dog to retrieve your birds at barrett or would waders do? i would get a blind for sure but dont have a dog to retrieve. went duck hunting last year for the first time and even though we just were jump shooting them it was a lot of fun and tasty as hell. i wanna try doing it the right way this year
I don’t have a dog either too deep for waders as other have said. Use the boat to retrieve your ducks just keep an eye on them.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu