Basspro's Redhead packs

Toua70

Feb 6, 2014
Downey, CA
Hello SCH! I hope all is well with everyone. I am in the market for a new backpack - preferably one I can use for multiple hunting days. I was looking online and came across this:

http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-RH2200-Internal-Frame-Pack/product/1301160606316/

Basspro also have the RH2600 model that is only 20 dollars more. Question is, has anyone experienced any bad luck with redhead gears? I've tried looking for reviews (other than from basspro consumers) but I can't find anything on redhead. I've found some older threads in other forums with people complaining about the quality of redhead packs but for the price and all the features, it's a little tough to beat. if anything, my second choice would be the tenzing 2220 bag. Any thoughts?

I had one of their daypacks once (got it as a gift) and it lasted about one season before a zipper broke and a seam opened up. I can't speak for the frame packs. The price can't be beat but if it's lasting quality u want, I'd look elsewhere. Redhead is the BPS in house brand (I think). Its inexpensive but one of those get-what-you-pay-for kind of things.

I would recommend looking at Alps outdoorz. I have 2 of there packs.The Traverse eps, & the Big Bear. You can find them on Amazon.com for good prices & there good quality. They'll last longer than 1 season.

Nicholas909 said:
I would recommend looking at Alps outdoorz. I have 2 of there packs.The Traverse eps, & the Big Bear. You can find them on Amazon.com for good prices & there good quality. They'll last longer than 1 season.

Actually, I was looking at the Alps Outdoorz falcon bag. That was actually my first choice until I saw the video on youtube. It has awesome features but only one main compartment which isn't going to be big enough for backpacking trips. It's more of a daypack but they are nice though. I like the idea of carrying your bow/rifle to the pack and the rain cover but I am looking for something a little bigger.

I would never buy redhead by buddy has one and it just fell apart.....

Badlands & their are others that are much better quality.....

I use the crew cab by mystery ranch & a 1700 from Sitka

Love my Easton pickup 3000. Camofire has em on sale sometimes for around $90. You can even send them an email and ask if they have any.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=easton%20pickup%20xt%203000

The easton pack is pretty cool but i'm not fond of the weapon carry system they have. not sure how secure that's going to be.

Toua70 said:
Nicholas909 said:

Actually, I was looking at the Alps Outdoorz falcon bag. That was actually my first choice until I saw the video on youtube. It has awesome features but only one main compartment which isn't going to be big enough for backpacking trips. It's more of a daypack but they are nice though. I like the idea of carrying your bow/rifle to the pack and the rain cover but I am looking for something a little bigger.

What video? I use the Big Bear for my day pack, & the Traverse for a 2 day hunt.

For what it's worth... I've been using a Red Head hydro day pack for 2 years now (gifted from my sis in law). I have it so jam packed with stuff, it's around 25 pounds. No tears, breaks, snags, nothing. Again, for what it's worth. Not trying to persuade you to buy Read Head... No way I'd buy this one... but if it's your budget, then make it work... or save a little longer and get the nicer one.

this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH9AHHOEDl8

Nicholas909 said:
Toua70 said:
Nicholas909 said:

What video? I use the Big Bear for my day pack, & the Traverse for a 2 day hunt.

I also have a redhead hydration pack and it's held up pretty good. I'm willing to spend a little over 300 if I have to - just wanted opinions on the brand. My second option would be the Tenzing 2220 bag but I think I'll just go to basspro and see it in person rather than buy it online. I was just hoping it might be a good one so it'll save me some money :D since it pretty much has all the features I'm looking for but I dont know enough about the brand other than the hydration pack I have.

8SteelTown said:
For what it's worth... I've been using a Red Head hydro day pack for 2 years now (gifted from my sis in law). I have it so jam packed with stuff, it's around 25 pounds. No tears, breaks, snags, nothing. Again, for what it's worth. Not trying to persuade you to buy Read Head... No way I'd buy this one... but if it's your budget, then make it work... or save a little longer and get the nicer one.

Toua70 said:
this one:

Nicholas909 said:
Toua70 said:
Nicholas909 said:

My Traverse is bigger than the Falcon.

Wow, the traverse is pretty awesome. I'm going to do more research on it but it looks pretty awesome.

Nicholas909 said:
Toua70 said:
Nicholas909 said:

How long have you had yours for? I've noticed the different camo patterns, I like the Realtree Xtra HD one better and it's only a few dollars more on amazon. One of the reviews says the expandable pack opens when he's hiking and that the shoulder straps are too thin which cuts into you when hauling heavy loads. But other than that, it's got a ton of room and looks promising. I like it so far.

Nicholas909 said:
I think there's 2 version's of it. I paid a little over $100 for mine on Amazon

The Redhead brand used to be good when it was made in the South (Georgia I think). Now it is a low quality piece of gear. There are so many other packs out there that will do a better job!

Toua70 said:
How long have you had yours for? I've noticed the different camo patterns, I like the Realtree Xtra HD one better and it's only a few dollars more on amazon. One of the reviews says the expandable pack opens when he's hiking and that the shoulder straps are too thin which cuts into you when hauling heavy loads. But other than that, it's got a ton of room and looks promising. I like it so far.

Nicholas909 said:

I've had mine for about 2 years now. Haven't had a single problem yet. Last deer season on opening day I slipped off of a ridge & slide down about 50 yards into the thicket & My pack survived it just fine. No cut's or tears. If you have both zipper's on the very top in the middle I could see it might open under a heavy load. But that's with any pack.
I never had any problems with the shoulder straps, But that's just me. The only problem i have is, I can't get my Kifaru Gun Bearer to fit correctly on it.

Speaking of low quality/price..,,. ;D.....I have a Fieldline pack (similar to Big Game Technical of today). I bought it a number of years ago.....Probably got it at Wal-Mart for under 50 bucks......I have beat the $hit of this thing.....It's never packed a deer, but it's packed plenty of big turkeys, decoys, and waterfowl......It's very comfortable, lots of pockets, has never torn, and zippers all still work......50 cube.......I know it's not in the league of the "good stuff"... ;), but for the money, damn good pack.

Think I'm going to go with this one. The reviews are pretty good on this pack so I'm confident its a solid one. Thanks for the info! Traverse eps it is!

Nicholas909 said:
Toua70 said:

Nicholas909 said:

I've had mine for about 2 years now. Haven't had a single problem yet. Last deer season on opening day I slipped off of a ridge & slide down about 50 yards into the thicket & My pack survived it just fine. No cut's or tears. If you have both zipper's on the very top in the middle I could see it might open under a heavy load. But that's with any pack.
I never had any problems with the shoulder straps, But that's just me. The only problem i have is, I can't get my Kifaru Gun Bearer to fit correctly on it.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu