Bear Scouting

TrapLine

Feb 21, 2019
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Started scouting a new spot today for the start of Bear Season. Acorns were few and far between and the berries are just starting to turn. I did find deer sign. Put up a number of cams to simmer for a week. I think I am going to drop down in elevation until the berries are ripe. Going back next Thursday to swap SD cards and glass more before the opener and then hunt it from the 20th to 25th. If I have not found them by then I am going to blind call till I pass out, will update as I go.

With rumblings of bear bans this is the year for me to target them. Buy a tag and support bear hunting in California so we don't lose it. You too lurkers and non residents.

tree7.png

tree3.png

tree2.png

tree1.png

Nice! Keep us updated.

A CA bear is on my list but this season is full already. They seem like hard animals to hunt on public. Harder than just about anything else.

Fire has been through there in the recent past, still see evidence of it. It’s actually not to thick under the canopy and can navigate it pretty easily. For a desert hunter I was actually digging the terrain. The scrub seemed to quit growing at about 4-5k’ elevation when the trees got taller. Don’t miss it at all.

Without finding a food source that is being used they will be hard to hunt, Spot and stock from glassing is one option. I found the way down into the canyon but unless I see something to chase I am staying put on this bench where I can glass for days and let the binos do the walking. Last resort they can be called in like coyotes with a mouth call and a good set of lungs. But they come in hot like coyotes too and with a bow and a can of bear spray I may wait until general season to do any mouth calling with a firearm. Hope to have it wrapped up by then so it does not cut into my d16 deer hunting. Statewide they have a 4% success rate but par for the course for OTC DIY hunts it seems.

looks like you should do well in that area, you found food now locate water and it is in the bank for both bear & deer. I have always found D8 to be the best zone for bear but one never knows.

Good stuff..look for overtunred tree stumps. I hear black bears will turn them over in search for grubs and the like..akuna matata

Going to swap SD cards in the morning and see if I can glass up some oak stands. The prevailing wind seems to kick in around 9am the last few days so I should be able to get in without stinking the place up.

A93345C7-9EDF-44D9-800F-96B9DF50D6D6.jpeg

Located a second spot about 10 miles down the road I am going to drop some cams in if I am still coming up empty handed here.

How do you locate a bear spot? The same way you locate a deer spot more or less? You basically just know what the animal needs and it gives you the opportunity to hunt/glass it?

I was thinking it may be a cat, who knows. My wife thinks its a rabbit even after I told her the cameras was 4' off the ground. Put together a web belt for running cameras this year and really like it over having to dig them out of the pack at each stop, balances the weight with 10lb around my waist and 10lbs on my back. Cant beat 70 degree weather in the summer, back in D16 on Sept 1st and going to be all hot and pissed off.

4.png

1.png

2.png

3.png

Reactions: DoubleTrouble
Pulled all the cams yesterday except for the one with the doe and fawns, ill recheck it when archery deer opens next month to see if any antlers come by and moving down the road. Dropping down to 3000'

Dude..don't go to far from the road...large mammal tip 2022..

Reactions: dhntr48

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu