Beef bulk

Shadowlawnskysthelimit

Mar 5, 2021
Afternoon ! Anyone have a lead or contact on bulk beef ? Family looking at splitting a beef or half a beef . Looking for somewhere somewhat local. Found one in Barstow but sure would like to find something closer !
Thanks Kevin !!

Costco business centers has a few location that deal in bulk. If I remember correctly they sell whole butchered pig and beef by the quarter. In garden grove at Beach and the 22 freeway.

There is sage mountain in Anza. Pricy though. Or Primal pastures Can deliver it to your door, I believe.

Afternoon ! Anyone have a lead or contact on bulk beef ? Family looking at splitting a beef or half a beef . Looking for somewhere somewhat local. Found one in Barstow but sure would like to find something closer !
Thanks Kevin !!

Kevin,

Check with Janice Mendenhall at Lake Henshaw Resort...Well connected in the local cattle business...Come to the BBQ on the 14th and you can talk to her in person.

ps...I'll give her a call.

When buying bulk make sure to check how the animal was finish fed. In my opinion it is important that they get high quality feed for at least a few months prior to slaughter. I do a cow every few years and usually buy a calf at about 400 lbs and feed them out for about 18 months at which point they are right around 1500 lbs. I always feed alfalfa and cattle finisher throughout their short stay on earth and the quality of meat I get is something you cannot buy in a store. If possible its also a good idea to hang them for three or four weeks before cutting to give the meat time to age which improves flavor tremendously. I used to use T & H in San Marcos when they were around because they had the space to hang a carcass for long periods but that is hard to find these days.

Reactions: PewPew252
Kevin,

I checked on what a whole grass fed cow costs....$3,599.00....This is what you get.

This is a whole Cow. It weighs around 400 pounds, and the parts come from all subprimals (both front and back halves). We often ship this in several shipments (1/8th shipments), and we try to get a first shipment to you as soon as possible (most often within 1 week).

You will see the following:

• Filet Mignon / Tenderloin: ~8 pounds
  • Sirloin Steaks: 16-32 pounds
  • Rib Eye and / or New York Steaks: ~40 pounds
  • Short Ribs and / or Osso Bucco: 16-32 pounds
  • Roasts (Brisket, Rump Roast, London Broil, Chuck Roast, Cross-Rib Roast, Shoulder Clod): 32-48 pounds
  • Steaks (Chuck Petite Tender, Eye of Round, Flank Steak, Flat Iron, Hanger Steak, Skirt Steak, Cross-Rib Steak, London Broil Steak): 40-80 pounds
  • Ground Beef / Hamburger Patties / Stew Meat: ~200 pounds (Note: Ground Beef is the most common, but you may also get the other cuts)

Or you could go on about 4 or 5 sandhill crane hunts and have the finest meat there is..... :joy:

Kevin,

I checked on what a whole grass fed cow costs....$3,599.00....This is what you get.

This is a whole Cow. It weighs around 400 pounds, and the parts come from all subprimals (both front and back halves). We often ship this in several shipments (1/8th shipments), and we try to get a first shipment to you as soon as possible (most often within 1 week).

You will see the following:

• Filet Mignon / Tenderloin: ~8 pounds
  • Sirloin Steaks: 16-32 pounds
  • Rib Eye and / or New York Steaks: ~40 pounds
  • Short Ribs and / or Osso Bucco: 16-32 pounds
  • Roasts (Brisket, Rump Roast, London Broil, Chuck Roast, Cross-Rib Roast, Shoulder Clod): 32-48 pounds
  • Steaks (Chuck Petite Tender, Eye of Round, Flank Steak, Flat Iron, Hanger Steak, Skirt Steak, Cross-Rib Steak, London Broil Steak): 40-80 pounds
  • Ground Beef / Hamburger Patties / Stew Meat: ~200 pounds (Note: Ground Beef is the most common, but you may also get the other cuts)

Or you could go on about 4 or 5 sandhill crane hunts and have the finest meat there is..... :joy:
The math doesn't add up at max weight that "calf " is over 500 lb's without bone or offall. Can't stop smiling at those numbers , 400 lbs is a calf about a year old or less. Grass fed tastes like.. well grass.. I buy my calfs fron Rick Moretti when I want one , His family has been up here since the 1880'S ( check his daughters prices on meat its not even close) Cut weights and yield I have no idea because I have never slaughtered a cow that small but what I know is live weight of a cow turns out to be about 1/4 of edible meat when you seperate offall from bone and all the other parts. Cost ? well my wife and I just wanted the best so a grass fed beef is just a range cow and that's not what I look for. If you look at what is running around Vista irrigation you are looking at dairy cow's (black and white just like at the dairy) the calfs that are sold off when momma breeds and produces and that kind of beef usually ends up at McDonalds or Wendys as a burger, Not the same as angus or herefords or any other meat bred bovine by any stretch of the imagination. Once again check through the origin of your cow and its feed standards. I have family in New Mexico and spent my youth around this type of cattle in my summers away from school. My family ancestors have run beef cattle since the early 1800's in that part of the world.

Reactions: garlicsalt
The math doesn't add up at max weight that "calf " is over 500 lb's without bone or offall. Can't stop smiling at those numbers , 400 lbs is a calf about a year old or less. Grass fed tastes like.. well grass.. I buy my calfs fron Rick Moretti when I want one , His family has been up here since the 1880'S ( check his daughters prices on meat its not even close) Cut weights and yield I have no idea because I have never slaughtered a cow that small but what I know is live weight of a cow turns out to be about 1/4 of edible meat when you seperate offall from bone and all the other parts. Cost ? well my wife and I just wanted the best so a grass fed beef is just a range cow and that's not what I look for. If you look at what is running around Vista irrigation you are looking at dairy cow's (black and white just like at the dairy) the calfs that are sold off when momma breeds and produces and that kind of beef usually ends up at McDonalds or Wendys as a burger, Not the same as angus or herefords or any other meat bred bovine by any stretch of the imagination. Once again check through the origin of your cow and its feed standards. I have family in New Mexico and spent my youth around this type of cattle in my summers away from school. My family ancestors have run beef cattle since the early 1800's in that part of the world.

Fred,

I don't know squat about cattle or what they cost...This was just what I found on the web...My point was for $3600 bucks....Jokily, I'd rather eat sandhills and hunt.... :joy:

Thanks Steve and others for the information!
Your right Steve I’d rather have a freezer full of game and call it good! Our old freezer took a crap , got a new one a little bigger; that way when I find a new house in Arizona I’ll have room for some Elk, deer and javilenas !!

Remember when you buy livestock you pay the live weight price. My nephew just got his pig back from processing. He paid $1/per pound live weight, $275.00, then $265.00 for processing. Bottom line, it came out to $3.50/lbs.. He got all the standard pork cuts plus breakfast sausage and bacon. He had the bacon and hams smoked. I must add, this is what he paid in Wisconsin. Here In Ca. that same pig would have come out to around, $9.672.00. That's before state taxes and Administration and local fees.

• Wow
Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
I think they are saying you're getting 400lbs of beef shipped for $3600.

Holsteins are actually amazing quality beef when fed right. They can be fed high grain diets at a younger age than beef breeds and get very well marbled. Brandt Beef in the IV raises Holsteins exclusively and gets top $ from high end restaurants and BBQ competitors around the country. The dairy cattle also handle the extreme heat better out there.

Remember when you buy livestock you pay the live weight price. My nephew just got his pig back from processing. He paid $1/per pound live weight, $275.00, then $265.00 for processing. Bottom line, it came out to $3.50/lbs.. He got all the standard pork cuts plus breakfast sausage and bacon. He had the bacon and hams smoked. I must add, this is what he paid in Wisconsin. Here In Ca. that same pig would have come out to around, $9.672.00. That's before state taxes and Administration and local fees.
10k for a pig? There are hundreds sold at the Del Mar Fair livestock auction for $1.75-$2.50 a pound average weight about 275

10k for a pig? There are hundreds sold at the Del Mar Fair livestock auction for $1.75-$2.50 a pound average weight about 275
These kids pay a high price for their pigs and the feed they use. By the time the fair comes around they have ball park $700 into them. Most of the kids loose money or just break even at those prices.

Might be in the near future with the new law CA voters wanted. Buying bacon will be harder than getting ammo.
If you can get ammo, the price of a guided wild pig hunt might offset the cost of store-bought bacon and pork chops.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu