Beginner SoCal Kit

Cheeses, going to be another interesting year at wister.hopfully the newbies have more common sense then the ones that showed up last year.
You know what folks say about common sense.... It's anything but common.... I have only ever hunted one draw refuge and it was back in a time when folks had more integrity than I see now, back then the refuge would eject you if you sky busted. All the players I knew were in for the game because it was a big effort with folks that wanted to do it right. We all knew each other on a first name basis and would gather each hunt morning for the draw and blinds were drawn by bingo lottery each hunt day. We all knew the best blinds and took what was available with each draw, If you sky busted and the management saw it you were ejected but beyond that you would recieve universal reprimand vocally when you broke the rules and the next day in the draw line you had better hide your face. I only say this so that maybe some of the new folks will think twice before trying to scrape a seventy yard duck that is not coming to you and screws up another hunters chance.

Reactions: Dorks
Fred,

Guys have been skyscraping since I started waterfowling on Wister in 1969...There's a few trains of thought involved I believe...One is, I paid my money, I'm going to pull the trigger...Two is the mentality, if you don't shoot, you can't kill them...Three...And I would like to think this is the most common...They just can't tell distances.

The 1st two are just plain selfish ways of thinking IMO...The 3rd can be worked on, implemented. and practiced.

ps...In my bucket is a range finder...And my furthest decoy is normally distanced at 40 yds or so...Not perfect, but does give me some reference.

Well said Steve. I have been duck hunting since the 70's and what I have found is most folks really don't understand decoy hunting. We have all been there at some point in our waterfowl hunting. Part of the challenge is people prioritizing the need to shoot a limit. We all like shooting birds but fooling them in the decoys is another game.

The hunt @Snake Charmer is referring too was well run and folks took pride in shooting birds @ 15-20 yards. Just watching waterfowl work the decoys is a joy in itself.

Steve, Same with me as far as your statement. No disrespect whatsoever to your views and I agree . To me I agree the first two to me are just selfish and may have no connect to the folks that brought them to the sport where I was fortunate enough to fall in with folks that had been at it for a very long time before I showed up. I was fortunate enough to learn the steps in a way that was to enjoy show up and maybe you might get one. The third Imo is lack of practice like you said and yes we would range out deek's when we set up. Where I see the disconnect is lots of folks do range time and then stretch what they know in the hunt because of the first two . I have seen days when the birds were lined up nose to tail coming in and some guy blows them all out because he gets the hebbie geebies. I've been that guy and learned from it. Once again this is only a cautionary comment so that the folks coming into the refuge sport might think twice...

Reactions: ilovesprig
Fred,

Guys have been skyscraping since I started waterfowling on Wister in 1969...There's a few trains of thought involved I believe...One is, I paid my money, I'm going to pull the trigger...Two is the mentality, if you don't shoot, you can't kill them...Three...And I would like to think this is the most common...They just can't tell distances.

The 1st two are just plain selfish ways of thinking IMO...The 3rd can be worked on, implemented. and practiced.

ps...In my bucket is a range finder...And my furthest decoy is normally distanced at 40 yds or so...Not perfect, but does give me some reference.
100% agree Steve. You'd think the 25 shell limit at the refuge would make folks wait for better shots. I love seeing birds work but I understand it can be frustrating seeing them circle and looking at your setup, then other blinds' setup.. then when they get lower some guys just can't handle it anymore and want to throw some shots up there before anyone else can. But it's totally worth the experience to finally pull them into your setup feet up and take em down at a proper distance. And if they fly down to another guy's setup instead and get taken, then all power to them. But blowing the opportunity for everyone with 100+ yard shots at ducks on the glide sucks.

Snow goose sky busting is out of control, think the duck hunters at wister are shooting 3 1/2 BB .3inch #2 or 3# work fine for snows & ducks

Snow goose sky busting is out of control, think the duck hunters at wister are shooting 3 1/2 BB .3inch #2 or 3# work fine for snows & ducks

Goose shooting, and in particular snow geese, have always been the biggest draw to skyscaping...They fly high, hard to decoy, fly mostly in big flocks, and because they're bigger than ducks, look closer than they are.

What's really funny (?), is when one guy "Golden BB's" one goose under the chin at 100 yds, then every guy in the field thinks he can do the same..... :joy:

Reactions: 2duckhunter4
This is all good info. Thanks for the kit recommendations and the insight to skyscaping/busting. I too plan to cut my teeth at Wister and the Sea this coming season and I feel like I have a leg up on the expectation vs reality when it comes to waterfowling in the valley.

This is all good info. Thanks for the kit recommendations and the insight to skyscaping/busting. I too plan to cut my teeth at Wister and the Sea this coming season and I feel like I have a leg up on the expectation vs reality when it comes to waterfowling in the valley.
Mick,

Welcome to the addiction...Nothing compares to daybreak in the marsh (OK a gobbler at daybreak...lol)...Setting out decoys, having birds work, and then commit into your spread is a very special time...:blush:

ps...Adding Man's best friend makes it even better...:heart:

.wister 12-18-10 007.JPGwister 11-26-11 042.JPG

The needs, info and opinions on sky busting ring nothing but truth, But of all the things talked about, the most important thing IMHO was barely covered.
Mosquito Repellant should be # 1 on your list, especially for Wister till the temps drop ! If you don't have it, you'll regret it !!
Walmart has Repel, lemon eucalyptus, bug spray. Best stuff out there with no DEET !!

The needs, info and opinions on sky busting ring nothing but truth, But of all the things talked about, the most important thing IMHO was barely covered.
Mosquito Repellant should be # 1 on your list, especially for Wister till the temps drop ! If you don't have it, you'll regret it !!
Walmart has Repel, lemon eucalyptus, bug spray. Best stuff out there with no DEET !!
Learned my lesson in the dove fields last year, brought a thermacell to keep myself from being eaten alive. That's just the canals, I imagine wister must be a hell-hole....

Kevin,

How could I forget that?.... I buy it by the case from Wally World................:joy:

ps...Anyone going to the work party at San J Saturday, better have it there too....:D

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu