Beginner SoCal Kit

In the handful of times I’ve been to Wister it hasn’t been hard to navigate. Are there areas of Wister that are harder to navigate that I just haven’t been to?

Compared to San J, it's much harder to navigate...1st off it's much bigger, signage is getting better, but all there is at the blind site is a metal pole...There are island blinds, plus many of the guys don't hunt from around the pole.

I use a directors chair a lot...More comfortable for the long days, and will become a mud stool, if the water isn't too deep or mud too soft.

.021.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Hunter527
ps...If you have to crap...Walk back to a crapper.

:joy: I drove by wister a few times to check it out while I was out for the Dove opener. Saw the "No Pooping From Levee" pig sign and just about died.

Do you have more info about the Oct 2nd work party?

Reactions: Hunter527
Was anyone there for the great turd rant of 2019? It was December 28, 2019. What is the name of the manager there? Dad coined the nickname Poopy Sam. Although, he did give us good spots on the day of the turd rant and on the youth hunt. Ducks pictured are from the day of the turd rant. I recall he threw a few f bombs and threatened to close the sites where turds were located.
975F2D28-4D0A-46EF-B507-4283339997DC.jpeg

Was anyone there for the great turd rant of 2019? It was December 28, 2019. What is the name of the manager there? Dad coined the nickname Poopy Sam. Although, he did give us good spots on the day of the turd rant and on the youth hunt. Ducks pictured are from the day of the turd rant. I recall he threw a few f bombs and threatened to close the sites where turds were located.
View attachment 50824

I wasn't there that day, but probably Rick Francis.,,,, :blush:

ps....Trigger liked human $hit......:poop:

:joy: I drove by wister a few times to check it out while I was out for the Dove opener. Saw the "No Pooping From Levee" pig sign and just about died.

Do you have more info about the Oct 2nd work party?

Starts around 6:00 am....Guys are going to line the seasonal campground...Good way to meet guys that will help you out, if they see you're willing to help make Wister a better place to hunt...Also, last week-end to scout the wildlife area.

How to blind up (arrow weed)...How NOT to blind up.......:D

.wister opener 2011 020.JPGwister opener 2011 024.JPG

Compared to San J, it's much harder to navigate...1st off it's much bigger, signage is getting better, but all there is at the blind site is a metal pole...There are island blinds, plus many of the guys don't hunt from around the pole.

I use a directors chair a lot...More comfortable for the long days, and will become a mud stool, if the water isn't too deep or mud too soft.

.View attachment 50820
Can guys get tickets for not hunting around the pole? I thought there was a 40 yard rule.

Can guys get tickets for not hunting around the pole? I thought there was a 40 yard rule.

The rules have changed over the years...Right now I know at Hazard (habitat by feds, hunting by DFW) has a 100' rule from blind stake...Wister has a 100 yd rule for most blinds, 50 yds in others.

ps...I'm looking for the most current map & regs...I...READ THE REGULATIONS.

.IMG_0037.JPG

My dad said back in the 80s when they were camping at Wister, a guy he knew from work got in a fight with three marines at a bar around there. Dad said the marines followed the guy back to the Wister campground and then his coworker fought off all three of them by himself. @ilovesprig did you see any shenanigans at the Wister campground years ago?

Yes, of course you can get a ticket. That's what happens when rules are broken.

Used to be a 100 yard radius for most blinds but that has changed over the years. Rather than re-write the regs in here, just do as Trig said & read the fricken regs. Each refuge is unique to itself so get an area map & read the regs on the back. DFW regs are the basis but area regs will be more detailed & pertain to that area only.

Yes, of course you can get a ticket. That's what happens when rules are broken.

Used to be a 100 yard radius for most blinds but that has changed over the years. Rather than re-write the regs in here, just do as Trig said & read the fricken regs. Each refuge is unique to itself so get an area map & read the regs on the back. DFW regs are the basis but area regs will be more detailed & pertain to that area only.
Thats incredible that breaking rules results in a ticket, had no idea. I only asked because Trig said many guys don’t hunt around the pole. I didn’t know if that meant a lot of guys break the rules or if the rules had changed. Apparently asking one question = not reading the regs. What kind of idiot would depend on a forum for regulations instead of reading it on their own?

Last edited:
When is shoot time on opening morning this year? Will the limit on pintail ever change? Does shoot time end at sunset or a half hour after? Can I hunt on Fridays if I get special permission from the refuge manager? Are you allowed to drive out to your blind at San J? If I don't turn in my card at Wister on Saturday can I hunt the same blind on Sunday?

Thats incredible that breaking rules results in a ticket, had no idea. I only asked because Trig said many guys don’t hunt around the pole. I didn’t know if that meant a lot of guys break the rules or if the rules had changed. Apparently asking one question = not reading the regs. What kind of idiot would depend on a forum for regulations instead of reading it on their own?

You said there were no island blinds that you knew of...I stated there were and some guys don't LITERALLY hunt next to the stake...They can hunt little high spots (islands if you will), within their legal distance from the blind site pole.

"When is shoot time on opening morning this year? Will the limit on pintail ever change? Does shoot time end at sunset or a half hour after? Can I hunt on Fridays if I get special permission from the refuge manager? Are you allowed to drive out to your blind at San J? If I don't turn in my card at Wister on Saturday can I hunt the same blind on Sunday?"

Dude...I'll try to pretend you didn't type this stupid statement...This thread is to help a new waterfowler....Geeze...............................:rolleyes:

You said there were no island blinds that you knew of...I stated there were and some guys don't LITERALLY hunt next to the stake...They can hunt little high spots (islands if you will), within their legal distance from the blind site pole.

"When is shoot time on opening morning this year? Will the limit on pintail ever change? Does shoot time end at sunset or a half hour after? Can I hunt on Fridays if I get special permission from the refuge manager? Are you allowed to drive out to your blind at San J? If I don't turn in my card at Wister on Saturday can I hunt the same blind on Sunday?"

Dude...I'll try to pretend you didn't type this stupid statement...This thread is to help a new waterfowler....Geeze...............................:rolleyes:
You didn't say LITERALLY next to the stake, you said around the stake. The stupid statement was a response to Mouthcaller acting like I asked you all kinds of questions about the Wister regs. It had nothing to do with the new waterfowler.

Cheeses, going to be another interesting year at wister.hopfully the newbies have more common sense then the ones that showed up last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: kal-elk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu