Benelli SBE

Tested both up in Canada and owned both.

The Beretta shot smoother, had far less recoil and stayed on target for the second shot much quicker. The 26" model pointed well and functionally it was reliable. Also, keep in mind that the A400 was purpose built for waterfowl. It lives up to its design.

The Benelli is noisy, points very well and bucks like a young bronco. It is a few ounces lighter as well.

Both good guns but one is a better waterfowl gun in many ways.

I took 3 Benelli's on safari in Argentina. One was a week trip, the other was a 3 week trip. The Browning guns worked more often than the Benelli's. On the 3 week trip those guns killed over 1,000 birds (not dove), and were problematic. In the one week trip we killed up to 200 geese a day and had to completely tare down and clean the Benell's every evening to get them to work. Ammo was part of the issue, but the Browning B2000's ran flawlessly.

I sold all of my Benelli's...
View attachment 49049
The trips that NBK speaks about I had the privelidge accompany him on. I took two Benneli M-1 super 90's with mag extensions and we shot them extensivly to get in shape before we went and the guns functioned flawlesly during the work up to go. When we got there things went south. It should be noted that every autoloader including Berretas that others had went bad that trip. Yes we had to clean them and that helped, my guess bad powder. Next year I brought both Bennelis and Browing Gold the Gold was the worst and the Bennelis worked almost flawlessly that time around. Bottom line in my opinion it was bad ammo. BTW the Browning gold never worked well for me from the get go and would not cycle 3 1/2 at all even after being serviced by a Browning authorized smith. The picture you see is one morning in the field we had together. The geese down there at that time were dumb and had no sense of what gunfire was. As far as I know those days no longer exist. The big ones are Magellan geese about the size of honkers and the small ones are Ashy heads about the size of a snow. They were shot in the southern provinces of Argentina near the atlantic coast below Buenos Aires. P.S. Best beef, chicken and wine I have ever had but there beer sucks..

Reactions: ilovesprig
Enjoy the pouch of KOOL-AID that came with it.

Ouch!....I've enjoyed that Benelli Kool-Aid for a lot of years...And the best shots & waterfowlers I know drink it as well... :joy:

hikingwithguns,

Congrats...Why not own the best...A life long investment that you will reap the benefits from for years to come.:clap:

The trips that NBK speaks about I had the privelidge accompany him on. I took two Benneli M-1 super 90's with mag extensions and we shot them extensivly to get in shape before we went and the guns functioned flawlesly during the work up to go. When we got there things went south. It should be noted that every autoloader including Berretas that others had went bad that trip. Yes we had to clean them and that helped, my guess bad powder. Next year I brought both Bennelis and Browing Gold the Gold was the worst and the Bennelis worked almost flawlessly that time around. Bottom line in my opinion it was bad ammo. BTW the Browning gold never worked well for me from the get go and would not cycle 3 1/2 at all even after being serviced by a Browning authorized smith. The picture you see is one morning in the field we had together. The geese down there at that time were dumb and had no sense of what gunfire was. As far as I know those days no longer exist. The big ones are Magellan geese about the size of honkers and the small ones are Ashy heads about the size of a snow. They were shot in the southern provinces of Argentina near the atlantic coast below Buenos Aires. P.S. Best beef, chicken and wine I have ever had but there beer sucks..

The B2000's ran very well. There were no Beretta's on that first trip (unless Wild Bill had one) Eugene had a Benelli, you and I both had Benelli's and George had a Benelli and a B2000.

The Browning Gold I had ran fine but I was never comfortable shooting it.

I wore out an M1 Super 90 and an SBE. Rebuilt both and they never ran the same. I had a 20 ga M2 that went back to the factory twice. She gone too!

The B2000's ran very well. There were no Beretta's on that first trip (unless Wild Bill had one) Eugene had a Benelli, you and I both had Benelli's and George had a Benelli and a B2000.

The Browning Gold I had ran fine but I was never comfortable shooting it.

I wore out an M1 Super 90 and an SBE. Rebuilt both and they never ran the same. I had a 20 ga M2 that went back to the factory twice. She gone too!
Eugene had a Berreta and some other guy brought an over / under (not a good idea in Argentina) I don't remember what wild Bill had but I do remember he was a Viet Nam era vet and hated cleaning guns. As I remember all I had was the Bennelis on the first trip with two shot mag extensons. Different memories for sure... guess that is what time does to all of us as far as what we remember but thats just what I recall . Still have all those guns but haven't used them in years and remember buying them from Jonathan at his cigar shop.. Never saw the need for an SBE that would shoot 31/2" as Kent was producing loads that made the 3" a spanker... The Browning Gold was big and unyielding and not a good swinging gun as well as not being reliable.

The Benelli's were ordered through Larry's Pistol and Pawn out of Huntsville Alabama (I still have the receipt). Jonathan did the transfer.

The shotguns were inadvertently delivered to SoCal Guns down the street and ended up being a complete debacle for Jonathan. I remember it like it was yesterday.

Don't know any of that back story other than getting the guns from Jonathan and also purchasing the mag extensions (which I still have) Maybe your Dad being in Huntsville during his aerospace career had something to do with that.

Stick,,, How did you get all that info from the couch ???

been retired like @Hunter527 since I got behind the glass for the first time. There’s a guy on this site, never met him, think it was @Truduct in a PM that said get behind some Swaro’s one time and duck hunting will be over.

since then that 870 been locked up. Matter of fact she got some Wister Mud on the stock from 7 years ago. She’s a dirty bitch.

Reactions: Lungpopper
"There’s a guy on this site, never met him, think it was @Truduct in a PM that said get behind some Swaro’s one time and duck hunting will be over".

I've always liked the All Around cowboy award at rodeos...No different in the hunting & fishing world...I like my Swaro's for everything, including fowling... ;)

.014.JPG

geese & duck hunters got no love. end results you guys killed stuff, and food on the table. in the old days with out a dog I would fill my bag with a cheap single shot 12 gauged in old mexico.
hunting the river banks never lost a duck. my how times have changed.
edit: the deal was the ducks were not use to being hunted with a shot gun, :p

been retired like @Hunter527 since I got behind the glass for the first time. There’s a guy on this site, never met him, think it was @Truduct in a PM that said get behind some Swaro’s one time and duck hunting will be over.

since then that 870 been locked up. Matter of fact she got some Wister Mud on the stock from 7 years ago. She’s a dirty bitch.
When did I retire? I waterswatted a teal on the last day of the season!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu