Best varmint rifle?

Bonejour

Rut - Me worry?
Jan 27, 2013
What do you folks think about the CZ .223 bolt action carbine as a varmint rifle? I've read great things about the .220 Swift, the Rem .222, and of course there is the 22-250. But the .223 has distinct advantages as a hunter. CZ builds a varminter as well as a carbine and I understand they went from a 1:14 to 1:9 twist which is better for the 55 grain bullet. There is the question of barrel length but with modern powder, do you need a longer barrel than 18-20"?
I'm talking about delivering an accurate, flat-shooting 45-55 grain projectile from a platform that's not too heavy. A lot of the varmint rifles I've handled are too heavy to shoot without a rest or bipod, or they have bull barrels and are very front-heavy. I don't mind using a rest, but if I'm walking and need to shoot quickly, my first stabilizing move is to a knee, then to the seated position. If I have more time and need the stability or can't see from the prone position, I adjust my trek poles to support the fore end.
I looked at a Zastava carbine and a Mossberg bull barrel at Fine Firearms the other day. The Zastava is a beautiful and well balanced rifle and the stock gave a good weld to my jaw. It has the miniaturized Mauser bolt similar to CZ. The CZ also has a single set trigger which is a plus I think. I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

Sent via Tapatalk

Buy the Tikka T3 in .223 and be done with it. It comes with a great trigger adjustable down to 2 lbs., a 1-12' twist barrel which is perfect for 45-55 grain bullets and it only weighs 6 lbs. They have a sub MOA guarantee out of the box too.

Ah...no brainer!

Don
what distance ?
here is a great Ballistic Chart . look at the BC = Ballistic Coefficient & MPBR = Maximum Point Blank Range. the bigger the number the better for long distance shooting

Hahahaha just a little help.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_trajectory_table.htm

Taft
I concur the ballistics looks better, that would be my choice.
hahahaha if I was looking to buy.
but the 243 win. is way better. hahaha hard to say.

I have one, for coyotes 22-250 over the 243 with out a doubt. Now for dual purpose obviously deer/coyote obviously the 243. But for varmints can't beat a 22-250

Ghost said:
Don
what distance ?
here is a great Ballistic Chart . look at the BC = Ballistic Coefficient & MPBR = Maximum Point Blank Range. the bigger the number the better for long distance shooting

Hahahaha just a little help.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_trajectory_table.htm
Out to 500 yards probably. Hitting a small target at that range is plenty challenging for any rifle I'd want to carry.

Sent via Tapatalk

223 Rem. (55 SP at 3240) .235 +1.4" +/- 0" 1.5"@120 230
22-250 Rem. (55 SP at 3600) .235 +1.3" +0.6" 1.5"@135 254
243 Win. (80 Sp at 3350) .255 +1.3" +0.2" 1.5"@125 237

hahaha yes it's very close. I guess it depends on the distance.
the 243 has the highest BC it may have better MOA. thats my bet.
but it all depends on the distance. the 223 will work fine at close range.

My goodness...

The .223 will work fine out to ranges beyond 350 yards on Coyote with half the recoil and cost of the other two. I am a big fan of both the 22-250 Rem and the .243 Win but the .223 Rem is far more efficient.

If you are going to truly take long shots on a regular basis then the .243 Winchester or even the 6mm Rem would be the best choice. But for an all around varmint cartridge the .223 is arguably the best choice.

Te 22.250 Rem is a beast for sure but why deal with the recoil when you can shoot a .223 Rem and watch the animal fall in the scope.

If you are looking for horsepower in a .22 caliber why not just shoot the 220 Swift?

My two cents -

Hahaha good point NBK

cost of ammo is certainly less. but he did state 500 yard shots. does he want varmint shooting or predator shooting. guess that's the real question. predator vs varmints ?
or maybe both hahahaha

NBK said:
Buy the Tikka T3 in .223 and be done with it. It comes with a great trigger adjustable down to 2 lbs., a 1-12' twist barrel which is perfect for 45-55 grain bullets and it only weighs 6 lbs. They have a sub MOA guarantee out of the box too.

Ah...no brainer!

x1000 on this. We have 3 T3 Lite Stainless in the family, 2 of them in .223. After a very quick zero (like less than 5 shots), my brother shot about a 1.5" group at 200 yards, brand new out of the box.

Besides being a flat shooter, the .223 is going to be FAR cheaper to shoot than the other cartridges you mentioned (.220 swift, .22-250, etc.). It's going to take PRACTICE to hit squirrel-sized targets out past 300, and practice gets expensive.

I should have read the entire thread before replying. It is VERY important that you define "varmint" before deciding. It's really too broad of a term. If you mean rodents (squirrels, prairie dogs, etc.), you can go through (literally) thousands of rounds in a trip, if you get into the right area. Cost becomes a critical consideration, as does recoil.

If you want a dedicated predator rifle, again, you have to practice if you want to hit something past 500 yards. But since you will probably shoot far fewer rounds at predators, something with a higher ballistic coefficient could be warranted. There are plenty of guys shooting 1000 yards with .243's and .260's.

Like John said, the .223 is a pretty good balance. It will put coyotes on the ground, and won't break the bank, especially if you're handloading. In my ARs, I'm shooting 77gr bullets (1:7 twist barrels) at about 2700 FPS, which doesn't go subsonic until it gets past 800 yards. At that distance, it hits about the same energy as a .22 magnum does at the muzzle. That's not spectacular, but if you shot a coyote point blank with a .22 Mag, could you put it down? It all depends on......

Wait for it........

SHOT PLACEMENT!!!!!!!!!

I would concur with the above statements. but practicing at long distance is not a bad. it will make the closer shots a breeze. hahaha. depends on the source of funding I guess. I am myself looking forward to get a good scope like US optics and practicing those long shot. and yes it takes a lot work with windage, elevation , MOA / milliRads, it seems like it would be expensive but fun in the process.
for cheap every day shooting can't beat the 223. I like shooting the 223, it's blast.

I had no idea that people shot guns other than AR's at varmints. Guess you learn something new every day.

here is my take on what cartridge is best. The one in your hand :) they all have a up and down side. If Mid range shooting is what you want to do then get a gun for that. 300-600 yards is a long ways and a round that can buck wind is going to be a lot more fun at 600 than trying to talk 77gr smk's out of your 223. For the 0 to 300 yard close range stuff the small varmnit calibers are way way more fun. Any of the 20.cal rounds (204 ruger, 20 tac, 20 prac.) are just epic fun. You can watch your bullets go down range in the scope and the recoil is so light.

Do you reload?

Thanks gentlemen. These are my thoughts as well. A light rifle that is balanced and maneuverable, and rounds that are available and inexpensive. 220 Swift fails on that basis. Light recoil is also a plus so I can hold on target, which puts 223 way ahead of 22-250. I'm talking about prairie dogs and groundhogs, not predators, by the way; so smaller targets. I realize it's harder to put a coyote down with the lighter fire power at that distance, but after all, now that John helped me get my 30-06 A-bolt to drive tacks, I should be good to 350-400 yards on a stationary target that size.

Sent via Tapatalk

I shoot 223 ar for the coyote and smaller an shoot a 243 ar10 type platform for yote and bigger. Do they still make bolt guns? ::)

here is the perfect gun... no not the one closest in the photo the one in the back. .510 DTC wind runner. with over 12k ft-lb at the muzzle and holding 3k ft-lb at 2000 yards with a modest 113 feet of drop.
ABCAAEC0-B5C7-4ADE-B351-BF4B410B5DB7-11131-000007F22A500DC1_zps4529b24e.jpg

looking at the velocity of the 223 round at 500 yards compared it to 22-250, & 243 just for comparison. I would say the 223 round would be barely good enough at 500 yards, but that would be pushing it. see attached how ever after looking at the acu tips those have impressive ballistics. hahahaha so may be all right .

hahahaha so what is it to be.

Attachments

• 2010_Ballistics (1).pdf
    125.7 KB · Views: 59

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu