Best varmint rifle?

Any .22 caliber center-fire in general is not a good choice beyond 350-400. The wind is the enemy on light projectiles. Just the facts man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHpjkBLiJx0
national champions

this guy was shooting a 223 @ 1000 yards but accurate?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H-l5fq8oxs

Ok I will take the bait. Lets talk energy at target. Also what open F class accuracy records have been set or broken by .22 caliber?

Yep you can shoot em' at distance but again, not my first choice. For that matter, not my second, third or forth choice either. You can dig up anything on the internet. Ask Aeon about distance, wind and small pills.

Just saying.

I realized when I said it that 500 yards was a stretch for what I have in mind. Let me say I'd like to be CONFIDENT out to 400. Anything more would be a lot to ask of a .223

Sent via Tapatalk

hahahaha NBK well said & noted.
I do agree heavier bullet will drift less but it still drifts. and I am just a rookie.
so no way an expert. just doing my research hahahaha good discussion like
Bonejour said. just looking out of the box at different options.

I like discussions like this because it's great to get input from everybody.
and normally everyone has their favorite. I would definetly would like to get expert advice from others here. but I think maybe that it should be another post. I kind of Hijacked Bonejour post.
hahahaha so maybe another post started would be great.

Great thread........... ;D

Don,

You could just buy a Savage .17 HMR and get 'em close..............lol

Attachments

• coyote 2-20-12.jpg
    coyote 2-20-12.jpg
    357 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCF0092.JPG
    DSCF0092.JPG
    530.7 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCF0093.JPG
    DSCF0093.JPG
    534.2 KB · Views: 17
El Matavenados said:
NBK said:
Buy the Tikka T3 in .223 and be done with it. It comes with a great trigger adjustable down to 2 lbs., a 1-12' twist barrel which is perfect for 45-55 grain bullets and it only weighs 6 lbs. They have a sub MOA guarantee out of the box too.

Ah...no brainer!

x1000 on this. We have 3 T3 Lite Stainless in the family, 2 of them in .223. After a very quick zero (like less than 5 shots), my brother shot about a 1.5" group at 200 yards, brand new out of the box.

Besides being a flat shooter, the .223 is going to be FAR cheaper to shoot than the other cartridges you mentioned (.220 swift, .22-250, etc.). It's going to take PRACTICE to hit squirrel-sized targets out past 300, and practice gets expensive.

I should have read the entire thread before replying. It is VERY important that you define "varmint" before deciding. It's really too broad of a term. If you mean rodents (squirrels, prairie dogs, etc.), you can go through (literally) thousands of rounds in a trip, if you get into the right area. Cost becomes a critical consideration, as does recoil.

If you want a dedicated predator rifle, again, you have to practice if you want to hit something past 500 yards. But since you will probably shoot far fewer rounds at predators, something with a higher ballistic coefficient could be warranted. There are plenty of guys shooting 1000 yards with .243's and .260's.

Like John said, the .223 is a pretty good balance. It will put coyotes on the ground, and won't break the bank, especially if you're handloading. In my ARs, I'm shooting 77gr bullets (1:7 twist barrels) at about 2700 FPS, which doesn't go subsonic until it gets past 800 yards. At that distance, it hits about the same energy as a .22 magnum does at the muzzle. That's not spectacular, but if you shot a coyote point blank with a .22 Mag, could you put it down? It all depends on......

Wait for it........

SHOT PLACEMENT!!!!!!!!!

Hey I forgot to mention Matavenados hit on the head with good post to. OK enough said hahaha. I killed it already. Shot Placement :)

The trouble is if you want to shoot tinny pills you cant shoot far with great accuracy in the wind.....That video above is a good example of that. he splashes rounds 5' off on both sides of the target before he gets dialed in and then its just because the wind layed down for him.

just to clear up mid range is 400-600+ long range being 800 and up and honestly long range means 1k. Anyone who wants to say how great they can shoot at 600 yards with their squirrel gun is welcome to come shoot the next MID range 600 yard match at camp pendelton. I will even do it ya shooting my squirrel gun because its insane fun!!!!!! The problem is you will look like a donkey just like me trying to out think the wind on that stupid wilcox range. My lil 6mm WOA that spanks a 22-250 at 600 yards had over twice the wind drift of the guys shooting the real Mid range hammers. F-class open is scary but it teaches you how to shoot and call the wind :) the X is only 3" around about the same as a squirrel.

i am going to puke in my mouth a little bit here because NBK loves this round but if you really want to play at longer distance how about a 260 rem. Its a 308 necked to 6.5mm. You can have all kinds of fun with that out to 1k even :) The Tika comes in this round and it along with the .243 would fit the bill for 500 yard play.

I will say it again why are you not getting a AR?????? 1100 bucks gets you a upper in 6mm WOA its like magic unicorn crap on a stick

oh oh and down load isnipe for iphone or shooter and strelok for android. You can spend all day plugging in numbers on the ballistics app. Wind and temp are just some of the variables you can try and its pretty damn accurate to be honest. i have used them from 20cal to 50 and its always with in 10% accuracy or so to what the guns do real world.

good post Aeon.

I probably made a mountain out of a molehill as the saying goes hahahaha
a 22 or 17 would work fine for rodents hahaha that's what we all started with when we were kids.
got all worked up cause seen those guys that love to shoot groundhogs at mid range to long range.

hahaha it all depends on what you want to do I guess. hahahaha

I own a CZ527 Varmint Kevlar. its a working mans tack driver they come standard with a HS precision Stock with a full aluminum Bedding block, Single Set trigger, and 24" tapered varmint profile barrel. they are a tad on the heavy side and if you use a high power scope even with high rings you will need to change the bolt handle out because it will not clear the eye piece.

Dan86 said:
I own a CZ527 Varmint Kevlar. its a working mans tack driver they come standard with a HS precision Stock with a full aluminum Bedding block, Single Set trigger, and 24" tapered varmint profile barrel. they are a tad on the heavy side and if you use a high power scope even with high rings you will need to change the bolt handle out because it will not clear the eye piece.
Dan what the distance you normally shoot? would like to hear it. Ok I missing something what's the cartridge. excuse my ignorance.

Great thread. Aeon, the .260 rem is on my "to do" list. 8) Great advice and clear thinking from everyone. Thanks!

Sent via Tapatalk

Bonejour said:
Great thread. Aeon, the .260 rem is on my "to do" list. 8) Great advice and clear thinking from everyone. Thanks!

Sent via Tapatalk

I concur Don, really some good talks and discussions. I like to hear more from people on what actual works. I like reviews from actual hunters, & shooters. great talk.

$1100 ar? Ouch. I built my 243 lr308/ar10 type dpms based for 850 I shoot 8" groups at 800 yards. I'm not any better then that but works for hunting yotes and deer. I love my basic 16" 223 ar out to 250 for yotes it's lighter and cheaper to shoot.

i spoke too soon... looks like Dan has lowered his prices again with parts being available. 795 for the upper contoured to your specs and 125 if you want it fluted. that's only 920 for a world class weapon. Dan says 1/2" groups but what he means is clover leafs if you load your own and do your job :) and yes they come in 6MM WOA its a 6mm neck down of a 6.8spc case that hucks 65gr vmax's at 3400fps with out even trying hard.
careycustomrifleco.com

That's not bad and a little more power at target. I don't care what gun I shoot I'll never be that good at distance

whats the best long range cartridge

I ran into this good read

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/01/chris-dumm/a-reader-asks-whats-the-best-long-range-cartridge/

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu