Big buck hit on hwy 163 today

TopBuck

I despise granola heads!
Aug 1, 2011
A buddy of mine sent me a photo of a big buck that was hit on the 163 and 52 intersection near kearny Villa rd.

Attachments

• roadkill.jpg
    roadkill.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 414
Man that sucks! He was a nice one too. Here we are hunting our asses off and they're killing em from the highway. :(

Wow who ever hit that buck on the freeway is probably still shaking and cleaning his butt... what a shame.

That's funny man. I saw Ron White live a couple of years ago. He is a crack up! :p

Definitely a shame! It's amazing how many people do not know that there are deer that close to the city, let alone San Diego County!

If you hit a deer like that on the freeway out here can you call the Sheriff or State Patrol to come out and sign off on it so you can take it and process the usable meat?

CamoT said:
If you hit a deer like that on the freeway out here can you call the Sheriff or State Patrol to come out and sign off on it so you can take it and process the usable meat?

I've been told you can't keep roadkill. I just checked the fish and game code

2000.5. (a) Notwithstanding Section 219, 2000, or any other
provision of law, and notwithstanding any requirement for a permit or
license or other entitlement to take a species, the accidental
taking of a bird, mammal, reptile, or amphibian by collision with a
motor vehicle while the vehicle is being operated on a road or
highway is not a violation of this code or a regulation adopted
pursuant to this code. For purposes of this section, "highway" means
highway as defined by Section 360 of the Vehicle Code and "road"
means road as defined by Section 527 of the Vehicle Code. Nothing in
this section authorizes a person to possess any bird, mammal,
reptile, or amphibian accidentally taken by collision with a motor
vehicle as provided in this subdivision
. However, accidental takes on
the road or highway may be removed by the state or local agency
having jurisdiction over the road or highway.

the only road kill id keep is the one id hit myself! its ruins my car, im eating it! LOL! 8)

msteiger said:
CamoT said:

I've been told you can't keep roadkill. I just checked the fish and game code

2000.5. (a) Notwithstanding Section 219, 2000, or any other
provision of law, and notwithstanding any requirement for a permit or
license or other entitlement to take a species, the accidental
taking of a bird, mammal, reptile, or amphibian by collision with a
motor vehicle while the vehicle is being operated on a road or
highway is not a violation of this code or a regulation adopted
pursuant to this code. For purposes of this section, "highway" means
highway as defined by Section 360 of the Vehicle Code and "road"
means road as defined by Section 527 of the Vehicle Code. Nothing in
this section authorizes a person to possess any bird, mammal,
reptile, or amphibian accidentally taken by collision with a motor
vehicle as provided in this subdivision
. However, accidental takes on
the road or highway may be removed by the state or local agency
having jurisdiction over the road or highway.

Ok, how I took that is if you hit something on the freeway and it is in good shape you can contact the Highway Patrol and they can sign off on it as they have jurisdiction over the freeway. If it was on a public side street then you would contact the locals or Sheriff to sign off. Does anyone else see this? Basically, the Highway Patrol or local would be removing it by allowing you to take it. Now, from experience with dealing with collisions in the County of San Diego, no officer of the law will show up at the scene of the accident unless there are injuries. So I guess we would be hoping for a stroke of luck if one just happened to swing by and stop, because calling them may not warrant a showing. In NY you have to call law enforcement if you are in an accident and there is more than $500 worth of damage and they have to show up to file a report.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu